Straight Edge

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
this thread makes me want to get drunk. i dont want to get drunk all that often :lol:.

labels: fuck 'em. centaur was right.

i guess i used to be "straight edge" - but i never knew about any term, nor did i announce it. i dont drink often, i dont see the point in spending the mony on booze or covers - i have better shit to do, like see bands. one of my best friends thinks im dumb for turning down his many offers "come out tonight!" - im not out to drink or pick up, so i dont see the point in going downtown to hear shitty music and see girls i cant have and dont want. but now i will have a few beers, i do get drunk every month or so (i drink to get drunk, if im not drinking it means dont make me fucking drink), action is good, and i'll join my roomie in his antics every now and again.

in summary: fuck labels, keep your private life private, and go play your guitar :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JakeRI

Reaction score
i suppose i fit the categories of "straightedge" (neglecting sex, if thats even a factor) however i think its the biggest load of horseshit being straightedge. IMO, being edge is some egotistical arrogant thing to do (even though there are plenty of non-ego, non-arrogant people who declare themselves it). basically, there is alot more to moral standards the drinking, smoking, and fucking, and if you can sum up yourself in 1 generic word, then im sorry. i also thinking that even though i act straightedge, im not cause i dont declare myself it. (i.e. even if you believe the bible as fact, but dont declare yourself christian, then you truely arent christian.)

</pointless-unintelligent-rant?

heavy7-665

Reaction score
Im straight edge but i dont shove my beliefs down anyones throat. the other "scene edge" kids start crap and whatnot like true douchebags though

ILdÐÆMcº³

Reaction score
I find it annoying when people have to announce how they live their life. Who gives a shit? If it makes you happy good, that's what counts, but who really cares...

Drow Swordsman

Reaction score
It's cool not to do drugs or drink, but I think when you have to claim to be a part of some subculture in order to be drug free, then maybe you need better ways to resist drugs and alcohol.

It's a respectable concept but most "straight edgers" I know just judge other people for personal choices. And even if you don't, why would you want to label yourself like that?

Most people who smoke pot don't like calling themselves "stoners" or "druggies".

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
I suppose by the strictest terms I am straight edge, but I don't cal myself that. The idea was around before the name, I didn't sit down and decide to be straight edge, I just figured that I wouldn't drink or do drugs at all. I figure it's the same with you, judging by all I have read from other posts. You just happened to have heard the name before you chose to follo it perhaps.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see how labeling yourself could be that wrong. It's normal to try to be around people who share your beliefs, likes, dislikes, or whatever. Is it that bad to call yourself 'headbanger', 'christian', 'nerd', 'European', 'atheist'?

We label ourselves all the time. Hell, even religion was created with that in mind, to create an element of identity between individuals in a given community in order to prevent them from killing each other (at least according to Jared Diamond. I'm no anthropologist myself).

Of course, being full of shit because you're a straight edge is just as ridiculous as being full of shit for "not fucking horses" :lol:.

That said, I don't drink, use drugs, or smoke either. I do eat meat and enjoy some good junk food time and another - and I've never been a hardcore fan either. Would that make me one more non-straight edge straight edger? :scratch:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I smoke cigarettes occasionally (I recently quit buying them and smoking daily and being addicted a few months ago), drink now and then, a few times a year have some dope and I've used LSD once, but the experience was frightening enough that I don't want to use it again.
I spent most of the next day after the trip just feeling sick and wanting to vomit, urgh.
I eat fairly healthy though and I get pretty regular exercise too so I'm guessing I must be a fairly healthy person at this point in time.
If you can enjoy things in moderation, stay away from addictions to substances, get regular exercise and eat well, I suspect you're not going to be an less healthy than someone who is straight edge (straight edgers, I didn't mean that statement in a straight edge bashing way btw, since I have straight edge friends and fully support their lifestyle and encourage them if it's what they feel is best for them).
I have been that path of drinking way too much at some points in my life and was bordering on being an alcoholic, so at times I would sometimes set aside months where I wouldn't drink, smoke or anything, because I just don't want to ever be in the addiction phase of things.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
"Straight Edge" as a term/statement gives me the shits. Do what you want, but the second you start acting like you're better than me about it, i'll sure as hell have something to say about it...

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
It seems like these kids that call themselves straight edge are just huge attention whores. You dont do drugs, drink or fuck? Good for you, but no one else cares. Just live your life. I mean going out of your way to tell everyone "HEY I'M STRAIGHT EDGE" is fucking lame.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I always get asked "you want to go drink/smoke weed man?"
and I reply, "no"
then I always get the same shit "what?!, why not?" "fag"

I don't label myself "straight edge", I just don't like alcohol, drugs, carbonated drinks or caffeine drinks (except some teas)

I tried out alcohol on my 21st b-day and hated the taste, never smoked anything ever, and I just started to not drink carbonated drinks 2 years ago (after what I saw working at sea world with the soda bags/machines....yuk)

I don't push it on anyone or think I'm better than anyone, but thats how I choose to live.

Now praise me
:bowdown:

ok no...
:ugh:

DevinShidaker

"AN IDIOT"
Reaction score
So apparently I'm dumb for making a commitment to myself. I am straight edge, I have been my entire life, and I'm straight edge for myself and nobody else. I have a few edge tattoos, which a lot of people try to make a big deal about, but think about it like this, is somebody with a tattoo of a cross trying to grab attention or are they just expressing pride in something they believe in? Saying I'm lame because of that is ignorant. That's no better than the dickheads you hear about calling themselves straight edge that go around causing problems. I don't affiliate with them. I have some friends that are edge, and quite a few that aren't. Some people find unity through it, But personally, it's a commitment that I will NEVER go down that path I've seen too many of my family members go down. I'm sick and tired of being ridiculed for a choice. It's not a fucking label/trend/fad/ or any way to grab attention, and anybody using this choice as something like that is missing the point completely. Would you tell somebody they're stupid for calling themselves a Christian or Jewish? And no, edge isn't a religion or anything like that, some people take it to the extremes, but you have people like that WITH EVERYTHING. I try to be as positive as possible, but there always seems to be somebody that is different than you that feels that because something is different it should be ridiculed.

All I am saying is people need to think about what the fuck they say, and keep an open mind. Just because something isn't for you doesn't mean it's wrong.

I guess if you still think straight edge is stupid, bring on the negative rep.

:(

troyguitar

Reaction score
I'm Slightly cROOKED Edge. Can't stand smoke, but love me some Bordeaux or some Red Bull + Smirnoff.

[sarcasm]

REPRESENT!

ScE 4 LiFe y0!

[/sarcasm]

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
Well, this has been an uninteresting read. It hasn&#8217;t turned out differently than any other threads based on straightedge. The same rehashed anti-BS. That is why original poster, there hasn&#8217;t been a specific thread for this, and has been more of an off-topic tangent.

Funny that those who are edge have not been the ones in this thread calling names and throwing around negative generalizations, isn&#8217;t it? Where are all these militant sXe asshole oppressors of whom you speak? Who is looking down on whom here? Any one care to re-read the thread and say again that straightedge is trendy?

We&#8217;re all so worried about someone bearing an &#8220;X&#8221;, and that personal beliefs should be just that&#8230;personal. Yet, at work, school, the elevator, media, internet&#8230;even at SS.org we have a thread where people gather to just talk about drinking. Keep it to yourself you say? Hypocrisy you say? :wallbash:

Carry on with your &#8220;epic thread lol.&#8221;

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I am totally alcohol/tobacco/drug free and I have been for my entire life. I hate the taste of alcohol ( I am not against it, I just dont like it).However I dont call myself straight edge. Technically straight edge people dont have sex until they are married. If a hot girl offers me beer or alcohol or cigarettes or drugs I would say no, but if she offered me sex I would probably say yes.

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
i have to say that this is the first time i have ever heard the term "straight edge" like this. i dunno maybe we just dont use that term over here. but imho it seems kind of stupid to label yourself like that. whats wrong with just not doing that stuff, its fine if you dont beleive in it. i guess i just dont think you need to give yourself a label to prove to people who you are. :shrug:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
It seems like these kids that call themselves straight edge are just huge attention whores. You dont do drugs, drink or fuck? Good for you, but no one else cares. Just live your life. I mean going out of your way to tell everyone "HEY I'M STRAIGHT EDGE" is fucking lame.

not every straight edge kid (or grown up :D ) goes out and tells everyone. i know many straight edge people, but no one of them labels himself everywhere everytime. they just "are". :shrug:

')