Strandberg / Astral EXR Systems / Announcement!

• Thread starter ChrisLetchford
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
For the record, the backplate on my .strandberg* custom is actually plastic engraved with my signature (Ola's idea). Considering how frail a wooden cover can be and how shit can and will happen on the road, I welcome the sturdiness there.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
When you are purchasing a guitar for that type of coin. Production or not every small aspect counts and yes the wood panel cavity control was a huge thing for me. I was stoked on it Plastic is fine but in a full wood grain guitar I would want to keep it wood not plastic. It makes me laugh that I have to explain that on sso.
I find it tragic that we'd have to explain on sso that thin wood control cavity covers are prone to warping, easy to damage, and difficult to replace, or that having multiple high quality precision cut plastic covers produced in advance has a measurable impact on labor, delivery times, and price.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
This is just fantastic. It's good to see everyone shares my opinion. ;).

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
Also seriously LOL at whoever neg repped me for my opinion, butthurt much bb girl ;)

Black Mamba

Reaction score
:yum: dat top

1005275_10151802610515572_325146508_n.jpg

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
What would make someone go with a surface mount control cover as opposed to a flush mount one? BRJ does the surface mount one (and iirc my old SL1 was surface mount as well), but a lot of people do the inset type. I personally like the inset type because it seems to be just another cool little detail to put on the guitar. And it shouldn't really take any extra time once the CNC program is made.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
What would make someone go with a surface mount control cover as opposed to a flush mount one? BRJ does the surface mount one (and iirc my old SL1 was surface mount as well), but a lot of people do the inset type. I personally like the inset type because it seems to be just another cool little detail to put on the guitar. And it shouldn't really take any extra time once the CNC program is made.

I think the reason Parker use them and Ibanez use them on the S is because there wouldn't be enough room in the control cavity for the electronics, otherwise, due to being such thin guitars.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
When you are purchasing a guitar for that type of coin. Production or not every small aspect counts and yes the wood panel cavity control was a huge thing for me. I was stoked on it Plastic is fine but in a full wood grain guitar I would want to keep it wood not plastic. It makes me laugh that I have to explain that on sso.

You realize that if that's a "deal-breaker" for you, all you would need to do is take the plastic cover to anyone who can perform woodwork (a decent guitar tech could likely do it as well) and for less than $20 you'd have your required "boutique" cover issue sorted, right? :lol: Wooden control covers would be the absolute least of my worries when spending $3K on a guitar. I'd rather the builder spend his time making a guitar that will play and sound amazing. Wooden cavity covers? Not high on the priority list for MOST buyers. :2c:

Something else to note, wood expands and contracts with the weather. I'd prefer a plastic plate that doesn't expand, I've run into guitars with wooden backplates that wouldn't come off during the summer because they were precision cut during the winter and come summer time, they had expanded and couldn't be pulled off. Just something to think about. ;)

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Those plastic covers are a good idea. It makes the guitar a little more of a workhorse. You could always make a thin veneer and layer it on top of the cover if you really wanted a nicer looking cover.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I took the covers off that PRS semi hollow PS and it was interesting to note that the route depths are super thick compared to their standard plastic covers. My guess is they've already thought ahead to the wood expanding/contracting/cupping and make their covers extra thick to help combat that risk. That being said, I'd still prefer to go plastic covers 9 times out of 10. I agree wooden covers look great but not really a fan of the issues I've experienced in the past with them on some guitars. :shrug:

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
^ :agreed:

The cover on my Schroder is a rather thick piece of ebony -

IMG_20130325_004909.jpg

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

On my Kelly the body was ever so slightly too thin to allow for a flush mount cavity cover when taking into consideration the side of the trem block. Without a trem I suppose there may not have been a need to do that... :shrug:

EDIT: Ninja'd... Also, only the trem cavity cover on mine is top mounted... The electronics cavity was deep enough...

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
Boden 7 S/N 13050709 | .strandberg* Guitars

Washburn made Boden 7 page on the Strandberg website.

A little bit of absolute thumb sucking here, but it says you can now get these guitars with your choice of Seymour Duncan pickups, however the Washbergs predominantly have the pickups adjusted to the fan angle. Now I'm not saying it would be a definite or anything but in my mind in a perfect timeline Seymour Duncan will start manufacturing set fan pickups after a while of putting up with requests from people who want a Boden but don't want actives or Lace's, much like BKP but they'll be in the "custom shop" Duncan price range like the Pearly Gates and 7 string tele pickups they do and then for those interested in multi scales who live in the ass end of nowhere and have never seen a BKP in real life, except for in the Fender Johnny Marr Jag but I mean come on, there would be a familiar and somewhat more affordable way to get into multi scales or consider a Boden or even try it in a homebuild :D

Note: the above is all just bullshit rambling of someone who is super hopeful because it looks like the only way he'll ever get to try a multiscale is if he builds one for himself :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')