Strandberg / Astral EXR Systems / Announcement!

• Thread starter ChrisLetchford
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I held and looked at Per Nilsson's sig at NAMM (he showed it to me and answered my questions, cool dude). In person I'd say it looks really really cool, very out there and nutty in a cool way! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
These are some quick and dirty pictures taken at NAMM 2014 by a friend.

You'll notice that the Nillson signature looks better in these pictures than in the ones used by AstralEXRSystems to promote it—they should really consider doing a re-shoot, to do the guitar justice.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
funny story: That guitar isn't really sold, it's just Per's personal guitar that they didn't want people messing with :p

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
That's only common knowledge if you know about that :p

Not necessarily, I'd wager that most protos from companies like Strandberg are going to be the actual guitar the artist gets (at least initially). I'm not saying that you were stupid for not knowing or anything like that, but I think this is pretty common...

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Not necessarily, I'd wager that most protos from companies like Strandberg are going to be the actual guitar the artist gets (at least initially). I'm not saying that you were stupid for not knowing or anything like that, but I think this is pretty common...

well yeah, but for all I know there might be more than one of these. Know what I mean?

Syriel

owns a .strandberg*
Reaction score
Man I thought the Singularity had a tremolo, seeing as it's already an "out there" guitar with 27 TT frets that's a straight fretter ( not fanned I mean, the frets itself are crooked yes :lol: ).

Oh well, not my guitar so I can't talk. But 27 frets are awesome.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
yeah, the Singularity isn't fanned, just True Temperament. Allan Marcus's guitar, however, has both.

Antwill

Banned
Reaction score
does anyone have a custom Strandberg 7 for sale? I really want one asap before they are too hard to find. I hear that Ola only makes around 4-6 of them per year so I really want one before they become classics. I think that Strandberg is going to be the next "big" company in the next few years and his customs should probably be going up in prices so I want one now and will pay whatever you want. I want something unique I guess. a walnut top would be perfect. PM me if you have one. Thanks

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
does anyone have a custom Strandberg 7 for sale? I really want one asap before they are too hard to find. I hear that Ola only makes around 4-6 of them per year so I really want one before they become classics. I think that Strandberg is going to be the next "big" company in the next few years and his customs should probably be going up in prices so I want one now and will pay whatever you want. I want something unique I guess. a walnut top would be perfect. PM me if you have one. Thanks

Good luck, and be prepared to pay a significant scalper's upcharge :lol:

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Yeah, there were two up for grabs at NAMM. I emailed Ola about the 7 pictured above, but never heard back. Maybe a good thing....the top finish looks a bit weird. Could be the lighting, but I'd imagine he had to use some sort of epoxy on a burl like that.

That aside, has anyone here ever gone to Marty Bell for a stain job? I see that loads of people use him for solid refinish jobs, but I was contemplating buying a Boden 7 in natural and having him give it a refinish in a color I actually want.

arkohors

Reaction score
Yeah, there were two up for grabs at NAMM. I emailed Ola about the 7 pictured above, but never heard back. Maybe a good thing....the top finish looks a bit weird. Could be the lighting, but I'd imagine he had to use some sort of epoxy on a burl like that.

That aside, has anyone here ever gone to Marty Bell for a stain job? I see that loads of people use him for solid refinish jobs, but I was contemplating buying a Boden 7 in natural and having him give it a refinish in a color I actually want.

The Burl on that 7 was not filled in at all....not sure why, but I wouldn't have spent the $4700 on that (but that's just me :noplease: )

One thing i took away from NAMM was that the Washburn bodens are quite comparable to the custom shop strandbergs. Unless you need to have some crazy top wood, I'd say just stick to getting a production model. They are worth every dime, and any differences between those and the custom shops guitars are negligible.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
The Burl on that 7 was not filled in at all....not sure why, but I wouldn't have spent the $4700 on that (but that's just me :noplease: )

One thing i took away from NAMM was that the Washburn bodens are quite comparable to the custom shop strandbergs. Unless you need to have some crazy top wood, I'd say just stick to getting a production model. They are worth every dime, and any differences between those and the custom shops guitars are negligible.

Did you check out the natural 8-string there? If so, what did you think of it?

Yea, I'll just chime in and say that if you got the standard sort of Washburn stains via an Ola build, it'll cost a ton - it starts costing a lot when you move outside of the oil finishes. Meanwhile, exotic tops and things like that are cheaper than stains (you pay less in options, and the cost of wood is not likely to offset the cost of a stain + nitro + quilted or flamed maple) via Ola.

So something to keep in mind if you're debating -- I'm kicking myself for not going with some crazy koa or ebony top on my Ola build. But then again, the Washburn stuff didn't existence at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')