Strandberg Bass

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'm completely baffled as to why there is no 6 string? Doesn't matter though, I suppose: I wouldn't get close to one at those prices.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Hope a 6 string comes later.

Headless basses are good to see of course, however, these make the same mistake as Kiesel: A guitar body design used for a bass without the necessary degree of modification, as in, extending the horn out to the 12th fret, so undoing some of the balance advantage of headless and shifting the instrument too far to the left.
Those buying these are likely to be somewhat interested in ergonomic design, so i cannot understand how this happened or why Strandberg would choose to do this. Ergonomics are more important than preserving a guitar body shape. Guitar body shapes are not suitable unchanged for a bass.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Wow $3000 Indonesian basses (although I do own a chinese NG2 so who am I to judge lol)? Also as ixlramp mentions guitar bodies for basses doesn't really make sense.

Dayn

Reaction score
I guess I'll add in my disappointment at there being no 6-string model. I was waiting to see what the specs would be, and... I guess it's fine. I was expecting potentially a longer scale, but am otherwise not fussed. It would've been nice to have a potential replacement for my Schecter - price aside, of course.

A-Branger

Reaction score
just tried one today at NAMM at the darkglass booth. But it had differnt pickups. It sounded reaaaaaly "meh".... specially after playing at Ibanez SR with Nordstrand pickups

also the enduro neck its a big nope for me. feels weird, eventualy I put my thumb in the full flat part of the back and I felt restricted and "obligated" to do so, my natural grip would have my thumb on the edge of the flat part

Jason B

Unbanned
Reaction score
Strandberg is limited to only ever getting put over by Misha and Tosin telling us how much we like it. Putting out a bass bypasses the necessary salesmen and leaves it to us to make sense of a giant cookie with strings.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Perfect scale length for me but yea, $3ks for Suhrs, not this. And I feel like, while I like the endurneck on electrics (not notably better or worse than standard) it really seems like it's the last thing I'd want on a bass neck.

A-Branger

Reaction score
this was the one I tried (or similar)

Dv6p2-_VYAEPU5E.jpg

I really didnt like the sound of it. But... the bass did balance great even with not having the horn reaching the 12th fret

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
The electronics seem reasonably high end (Nordstrand pickups and Darkglass pre). I wonder how the pickups were placed (relative to the classic Jazz/P placement), as that can make quite a bit of difference.

Also, I cannot believe that so many companies do not list the bridge string spacing. THIS IS IMPORTANT INFORMATION for basses with more than 4 strings.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
See, I'm the opposite - can't stand the Endurneck on guitar, but would be interested to try it on bass. FWIW, though, I just bought a used Canadian Dingwall for less than the price of one of these Bodens . . .

I do love the looks, though; particularly the 4-string (though if I were to buy one, it would be a 5er).

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
The EU prices (€3.4k) are too deep in custom/boutique territory to make those interesting.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The electronics seem reasonably high end (Nordstrand pickups and Darkglass pre). I wonder how the pickups were placed (relative to the classic Jazz/P placement), as that can make quite a bit of difference.

Also, I cannot believe that so many companies do not list the bridge string spacing. THIS IS IMPORTANT INFORMATION for basses with more than 4 strings.

100%. On a bass, I check nut width and bridge spacing, because those are easily the most important things to me regarding playability.

laxu

Reaction score
The EU prices (€3.4k) are too deep in custom/boutique territory to make those interesting.

Absolutely. I don't know what they are smoking at Strandberg but they need to get off it. I don't see anything on these that warrants the extra 1000 € compared to their guitar range. I don't like the natural finish on the "Original" model but the Prog looks nice.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
For that price you could have many builders build you something with similar specs. They priced themselves out of the game, although I'm sure they'll still profit off of the few they sell to hardcore fans and/or status-symbol buyers.

Props to them for building what looks to be a solid instrument, though. Would have been nice to get a new body shape for bass but I understand them wanting to stick with their brand's image, even if the ergonomics of the shape are kinda lost for bass.

Restarted

Reaction score
Absolutely. I don't know what they are smoking at Strandberg but they need to get off it. I don't see anything on these that warrants the extra 1000 € compared to their guitar range. I don't like the natural finish on the "Original" model but the Prog looks nice.

They were smoking stuff when they priced their guitars. They've probably moved on to acid now.

Slaeyer

Reaction score

Yeah. I also noticed they are Made in Indonesia. At least the website states that for the 5 strings.
For that price I can get a solid custom shop bass made in the EU.