Strandberg Boden in Japan!

• Thread starter rockstarazuri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
To everyone bitching and moaning about the price for a guitar made at WMI, some things are flat out more money than others. Would you go The Keg and bitch that someone is getting a burger for 15 dollars compared to your steak for 50? No , because they are two different things. Strandberg OS is not Schecter , therefore the price tag is hefty. If you want a USA version, just fork out another 1500 bucks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
They must have different levels of quality, it's not that they CAN'T make an instrument that's comparable to the Washburn stuff, but it's just about the time they are allowed to spend on an instrument (=price). For 1 Strandberg I bet they put out 3-5 LTDs or Schecters.

fortisursus

Reaction score
To be honest I was pretty impressed with the quality of my LTD BS-7 i had a few years back. Once you hit their higher end import guitars they are pretty nice. Plus it's not like we're getting the first batch either. If there were any kinks before hand, they were probably fixed with the Japanese runs. I'll really be interested how they fare with premium specs instead of the usual degraded hardware. My wallet it calling

shanerct

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on the Natural Birdseye Maple! Looks like I'm joining the club =)

uFw9Arp.png

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
All the maple boarded ones look hot. I was surprised by the all-nat and the black trans, actually...

devan421

Reaction score
Joined the Strandberg club !

I had to look around a lot of stores in Tokyo to find one but I succeeded in the end :hbang:.

It's super comfortable to play : super light, the EndurNeck doesn't feel odd at all and the neck feels like butter. I have a Ibanez PGM500 but this is a whole different world !

Attachments

• IMG_0247[1].jpg
    IMG_0247[1].jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0244[1].jpg
    IMG_0244[1].jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 81

rapterr15

Reaction score
Congrats, dude! Looks really slick. You should post an NGD thread with more pics haha. Did the store you bought it from have any other in stock? I'm gonna be in Tokyo in 10 days or so and I desperately want to get my hands on one.

devan421

Reaction score
Congrats, dude! Looks really slick. You should post an NGD thread with more pics haha. Did the store you bought it from have any other in stock? I'm gonna be in Tokyo in 10 days or so and I desperately want to get my hands on one.
Thanks man !
I think they had one more left : Red with Rosewood(?) fretboard. The store was Key Music in Shibuya. There's a lot of music shop next to it but it's not too hard to miss, it's right on the corner of a street with a big vertical sign.

Hurry up though ! I asked ( in my broken japanese) other shops that carried Strandberg when they were expecting another shipment and nobody knew !
Good luck finding your Strandberg !

Mangekyo

Reaction score
I love strandberg. I'm glad more people can get their hands on these kinds of guitars.

But personally, I'm only interested in having it made old school style. With a 2 year wait list by Ola himself... I don't like this ehh watering down if you will. Not trying to make anybody feel bad or anything, I just feel like the full spirit of the strandberg was by it being custom himself instead of sourcing out to regular factories.

albertc

Reaction score
The strandberg feeling better is probably just confirmation bias. I couldnt imagine spending that much money on a Korean guitar

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
Plus OLA is using the exact same procedure they are using at the factories, he cuts everything on the CNC including the neck shaping. How is that old school :) It's just that You can order almost anything You want and with the production You don't have that freedom. I am a tremolo fan, and I'm searching all the time for the perfect trem system (basically non locking floating trem that I can lock in a simple way and detune), the Strandberg trem seems to be very close to that, if he develops the tremlock he's been working on I really might place an order with him in the future... Or maybe there will be a trem production model in the meantime? ;)

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
My biggest issue with the price, is that at $1900 plus pickups and pots and shit and shipping for everything, ill be close to $2250-$2300, and for that price I can throw on an extra grand and spec out a Custom and have an American-made guitar made to my exact wants.

Yes, and if "an extra grand" is that trivial to you, then by all means go for it. And who the hell is charging you $400 for pickups? Don't most places ship for free these days?

And actually no, you can't have a US Boden made "to your exact wants". For that you've gotta get on Ola's waiting list. You just get a handful of extra semi-custom options.

Basically with the OS, you're getting the same materials, same design, and quality control done by Strandberg. If you want to shell out $1000-$1500 more for your own favorite pickups and a different finish, well, that's why the US shop exists. Personally, I think like a lot of folks I'm not particularly picky about pickups and I like the finishes on offer enough that I wouldn't care to spend another grand to get something different.

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
Yes, and if "an extra grand" is that trivial to you, then by all means go for it. And who the hell is charging you $400 for pickups? Don't most places ship for free these days?

Lawls, yeah that grand is so trivial that Im making a complaint about price, great reading comprehension.
How about that extra grand being the difference between a conservatively spec'ed (ash body/maple neck, limited fretboard and finish options) mass-produced import, albeit of decent quality, and a full on custom spec'ed MIA guitar made from my choice of materials, hardware, body shape, scale, etc.

When your talking about the difference between $200 and $1200, yeah a grand is a decent amount considering its 6x more. When you're talking about the difference between $2200 and $3200, a grand is a little less than a third of the price.
Suddenly that grand doesn't seem so trivial considering what you get for a third-more money.

As to the pickups, Laces like what I want to put in and like what came with the Japanese Boden OSs are $220 a set. And I guess not everyone does free shipping considering it cost $70 to have the boden shipped to my door, $20 for the pickups shipped to my door, and almost $10 to have two push/pull pots and a 3-way switch that cost $30 shipped to my door. Add the $1900 for the boden and thats $2250.

And actually no, you can't have a US Boden made "to your exact wants". For that you've gotta get on Ola's waiting list. You just get a handful of extra semi-custom options.

No one said they would, I simply said I could have a custom built for $1k more. I never once made mention of the Washburn custom shop, just that for 1k more i could have a US custom. You saw I said US custom and just assumed that Im stupid and was talking about the washburgs instead of making the logical conclusion I was actually talking about a custom made in the US exactly like I said? Again, great reading comprehension.

Basically with the OS, you're getting the same materials, same design, and quality control done by Strandberg. If you want to shell out $1000-$1500 more for your own favorite pickups and a different finish, well, that's why the US shop exists. Personally, I think like a lot of folks I'm not particularly picky about pickups and I like the finishes on offer enough that I wouldn't care to spend another grand to get something different.

Thats fine, you dont have to spend that extra grand to get exactly what you want in every way, I would just love it if you would stop slinging shit my way because i do. Im pretty sure how I spend my money literally affects your life 0%. I also like how you are stuck on the Washburn shop, you do realize other people build US custom guitars right? Im kinda starting to wonder.

TL;DR My money is my money, Ill spend it how I want to. Thanks for your asshole opinion about my opinion, though. Fvck off, and have a nice day. :fawk:

gigawhat

All 6s and 7s
Reaction score
Any pics of the natural one? I dig the red and black, but natural flame tops give me weird feelings in my no-no parts. :agreed:

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
One thing I definately prefer on the BODEN OS is the black neck mounting screws... Those silver ones on the Washburn Bodens look a bit like cheap wood screws bought by the pound.

Latest posts

')