Strandberg Boden in Japan!

• Thread starter rockstarazuri
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about purchasing a Strandberg OS7 soon. I was just wondering, how long does that Zero Fret last before it needs changing, and does Strandberg sell spares? And is it glued to the fretboard, or is it as easy to change as on a Vigier for example?

I'd want to be able to change it myself and not have to rely on a tech to do it.

This is the only "deal breaker" for me so far, so hoping for positive answers. :)

Ola already answered but just to clarify, if you're trying to swap it yourself and you're not familiar with fretwork (glued in or otherwise), I wouldn't suggest replacing a fanned zero fret to be the first time you have a go at it as it's not going to be a straight drop-in deal like replacing a nut. :lol: It's cool that Vigier does it the way they do, but it's not apples to apples for the fretwork approach Strandberg has taken so bear that in mind. If you're competent with handling fretwork yourself, you can remove glued in frets with heat but just realize any zero fret can need replacement if you use heavy strings and/or bend a ton. They're going to last a lot longer since they're SS, but they're not invincible or anything like that. :lol:

marcwormjim

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for swooping in on this before DJ from Vigier can, but I want to add that Vigier's zero frets are actually replaceable in segments, now - Meaning that, if your playing tends to wear out the zero fret under just one string, you can just buy a few replacement segments for that one string. They've really knocked it out of the park.

Here's some non-essential, anecdotal trivia that everyone can skip:

I first talked with Ola at the 2013 NAMM. Then and now, I consider Vigier to be the best production instruments on the planet. At the time, I was playing a 2012 Shawn Lane model (Anyone who's played one will assure you that it's the cat's ass).

When I was by the Strandberg booth, I tried a Boden with TT frets and a gold trem. I was smitten, and asked the man how long it would take for me to get one. "At this point, three years", he told me. "Three years to build?" "No - Three years before I can start on it."

I nodded, and hoped that he would eventually outsource a production-series. Later, I learned that that particular Boden was built for Allan Holdsworth.

I've since sold the Vigier to fund other guitars, but am waiting for the time that a Boden OS 6 with a trem is made - That's the only thing that can replace Vigier at the top of that heap, for me. And with the latest revision of Strandberg's hardware on the horizon (3D-printed/adjustable nuts?), I'm eager to see what else is brought to the table.

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
I replaced mine with a nut that has the strings resting on it, you often see the Washburn ones with that. Probably helps with the life like he said.

That's great news, if Washburn does this correctly then there is no problem. I really hope that this issue is solved with the new 3d printed nuts. As for the zero fret, too bad that it's not easy to replace, some people don't have a good guitar tech on hand that can do that sort of thing :/ Hope they apply the Vigier method to the later products!

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
EU is next:
11169417_963821310328979_6939580055532103156_o.jpg

From Strandberg's FB page :cool:

pott

Reaction score
At last! $400 shipping for the current OS7 really kills it.

blanco

Reaction score
I've already apologised to my missus about the fact i'm buying one. My idea is that she won't mind when the money leaves the account as i've given her notice haha.

But yeah about time, no $400 shipping, no 20% import fees and by the looks of it we are going to get the 6 string as well!!! Just have to wait for a confirmed prices.

rockstarazuri

Reaction score
Shops in Japan are beginning to stock Strandberg OS7's again. Anyone coming to Japan, better grab your OS7's soon before they run out again :)

And yeah, they have Laces too :)

Also, the next batch seems to be coming after 6 months, with a price raise. (according to a distributor I talked to)

jemfloral

Reaction score
Shops in Japan are beginning to stock Strandberg OS7's again. Anyone coming to Japan, better grab your OS7's soon before they run out again :)

And yeah, they have Laces too :)

Also, the next batch seems to be coming after 6 months, with a price raise. (according to a distributor I talked to)

rockstarazuri, I PM'd you with a question yesterday. Give me a shout back when you get the chance, please. Thanks!

insaneshawnlane

Reaction score
So after awhile, I grew tired of the active pups in my OS and decided to make the switch to passives. I took the high E saddle off to try and figure out how I want to go about grounding the bridge and wound up making an awesome discovery...

Turns out they drilled a hole in the factory! This came as a huge relief as I was pretty nervous about taking a drill to my strandy :ugh: :lol:

Now if UPS would stop sending my Nazgul/Sentient set to the wrong post office :noplease:

jemfloral

Reaction score
So after awhile, I grew tired of the active pups in my OS and decided to make the switch to passives. I took the high E saddle off to try and figure out how I want to go about grounding the bridge and wound up making an awesome discovery...

Turns out they drilled a hole in the factory! This came as a huge relief as I was pretty nervous about taking a drill to my strandy :ugh: :lol:

Now if UPS would stop sending my Nazgul/Sentient set to the wrong post office :noplease:

That's awesome news! Good sleuthing, sir.

')