.strandberg* Guitars Production Line

• Thread starter JamesM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
292969_373186706089842_246867795_n.jpg

:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
I do believe it's stained red.

Nope. That's mexican cocobolo. He had a few pictures of that exact top floating around on his facebook.

I can see why people would think it was though, I've never seen another top like it.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Nope. That's mexican cocobolo. He had a few pictures of that exact top floating around on his facebook.

I can see why people would think it was though, I've never seen another top like it.

You can see the core wood on the top and bottom of it, too, which confirms it's not stained at all.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
You can see the core wood on the top and bottom of it, too, which confirms it's not stained at all.

That actually doesn't confirm that. Lol. I can, and have, on multiple occasions done such a thing with staining. :)

But still, that's just a top. :)

dudeskin

Reaction score
pics loaded up on facebook from the meet and greet they had.
a few tosin shots and some other lucky guys who got to play and meet the guys etc.
apparently some vids are coming but Ola is editing them. should be up soon by the sounds of it!!!!

p.s
:hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:

VILARIKA

Reaction score
Did anyone here get their order in the first batch? If you did, did you change the neck profile or add a stain on your order? I just went standard but i'm curious what other people chose to get on theirs!

dudeskin

Reaction score
I was in the 1st batch. But wanted the new neck so I had to wait. Got a stain too.

How much was the stainless frets dude? Never played them before. How do they feel?

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
I didnt think they'd make much of a difference until my Rico 8 came in, been spoiled on them ever since. SS frets are hyper smooth, harder, and resinstant to buildup, and as such they just play so much better. Notes pop off the fretboard much easier, almost like you cranked the gain up or something, I love em :yesway:

btw, if you find that explanation somewhat ineloquent, I just watched the Saints blow an 18 point lead so I'm getting wasted, please excuse me :noplease:

dudeskin

Reaction score
Perfectly coherent dude. No idea what or who the saints are but enjoy dude.haha.

clintsal

Humbub
Reaction score
I also went to the meet-up on my way to watch KSU v OU (yeaaaaaa!!), here's a few pics I got playing Tosin's newer two .strandbergs.

IMG-20120922-00044_zps79df422c.jpg

IMG-20120922-00045_zps9ca89095.jpg

IMG-20120922-00046_zps38eae44d.jpg

IMG-20120922-00047_zps195980e0.jpg

And here are three of the most influential people in modern guitar, as Ola Strandberg (foreground) watches Tosin Abasi dial in Axe FX II tones for Javier Reyes as he plays custom .strandberg #8:
IMG-20120922-00048_zps7c6cdcec.jpg

The dudes were awesome, and there were fewer than 20 people there when I came by.

The Guitars:
I first played #8 through the Axe II. I didn't mess w settings at all, and there was more reverb & delay than I like for a review, but I'll report feeling. These things are SOOOO lightweight you cannot believe. I told Ola, you think you know what a guitar feels like (physically, not playability), and then you pick up Ola's instruments, and it literally blows your mind how light it is. The short fan (25 - 25.5 on top six, capo on E and B) was very comfortable, but I did lose my left hand several times without markers and having never played a fan. But one would get used to this very quickly, it felt nice after just a few minutes.

The neck was incredible. The IPNP profile is wild but pretty nice. When you are wheedling away on the higher strings, the neck is really thin, and when you riff on the lower strings, it girths up and gives you the feeling of digging in harder and getting meatier. #8 had the unfinished rosewood neck, which was much rougher than than I (and most of us I presume), am used to, but gave the instrument an even more organic feeling. These guitars feel alive.

Because of the Axe II settings I can't comment too much on the sound, but it was very very warm and sweet sounding based on what I could feel. All I played sounded very 'soft' compared to traditional solid bodies, and the non-angled pups would be a deal breaker for me. Tosin went back and forth playing w both, and of course he made it sound sick, but my picking style didn't vibe with the attack on the low strings. Another thing you'd have to adjust to / be comfortable with.

The biggest and best differences on this were the longer 26.5 - 28 scale. The neck had a similar feel (finish) as the first. While it sounded and felt brighter and more defined acoustically, the Lace bridge and non-angle really sounded odd to me. After two tries on these guitars, I might get a Lace neck pup, but won't do a bridge, for sure.

Boden8:
The biggest and best differences on this were the dimarzio pups and the smoother maple neck. I played this through a crazy amp that was used by A Perfect Circle, had very little markings and "NAKED" on the front. I missed the rep explaining what it was aside from 100W 2 channel. Tosin pushed the amp hard later, and it was ultra tight, defined, and percussive as hell, and as he put it, "Notes sound like you are hitting it with a hammer." I didn't play that loud.

The scale felt more natural for an 8 string, having owned a 2228 and Agile 828. The neck was more familiar feeling in terms of finish, with the same IPNP profile. The custom dimarzio pups are med-low output, the bridge is bright and snappy, but the sound still 'felt' funny with the bridge angle. The neck was very open and lovely sounding. I can't shred, but Tosin made it sound good, obviously. Not 'vowel-y' like a liquifire, but much more articulate and balanced across the upper EQ and controlled / tame in the bass.
And clearly it is a looker.

The News:
I asked Tosin about the dimarzio's, he said he worked with them to design them. I followed up with a question about perhaps an Abasi signature 8 string pup, to which he shrugged. And smiled.

As I was leaving, I told Ola I am looking forward to seeing what he does in the future, and asked about any plans for new models / designs / etc. And he said there IS a new model. News coming "very soon." Yes.

Reaction score
Seeing all of those pictures made my wait for the third batch seem so much longer...

I can't wait for the first NGD thread posted about the Boden8!

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
^THAT. All of that. I'm so glad we have a builder who's product is highly innovative, yet he's all about sharing his ideas and making sure that most anyone that wants can enjoy his product. There's something to be said for exclusivity from a business standpoint, but I much prefer the way Ola's handling it as opposed to some other builders we all know :yesway:

')