Strandberg Model Question

cthroatgtr

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a Strandberg 7 and trying to gather the model differences. I mostly play hard rock and metal and use 7 strings for instrumental work. I don't really think I want a trem as I never use it on my 7s today so it is an extra headache for tuning. I had mostly been looking at 2 models, the original 7 and the metal 7. I am also curious about the standard 7 in that is the cost savings in the body and passive pickups + cosmetics or are there other corners cut. I would love any feedback on the differences between these models.

I am not interested in other brands, 8 string, vs 7 etc. I managed to play a metal 7 and original 8 in London last week and I am truly interested in the endurneck and other ergonomic features of the Strandberg. As I get older, back, wrist and finger issues are more common and I also like the idea of the longer scale on the lower strings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
You gotta pick you're own personal wood preference with the prog versus the metal. Personally if I didn't want a Trem I'd get the metal. The 300 difference to the prog really only gets you a figured maple top and a swamp ash body.

Now between the standard and the metal...the standard is cheaper but you get a veneer and a non chambered body plus oem pickups. If you have pickups you want to use already or are happy with the stock pickups the standard is a good choice. But if you are going to swap at a later date the standard is not a very good value.

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
I am truly interested in the endurneck and other ergonomic features of the Strandberg. As I get older, back, wrist and finger issues are more common

I'd definitely suggest giving one a test drive before you commit to it. I was interested in them for the very same reasons, but I just couldn't get acquainted with the Endurneck, despite extensively trying it. It was a feature I really wanted to like, but just couldn't. I'm not saying I'm in the majority here, but since ergonomics are such a selling point to you, it's worth giving those ergonomics a shot before you commit money to it!

Avedas

Reaction score
If you don't care about money the Boden J line is top quality. The neck is quite a bit different and feels far more comfortable to me than the other Boden 7 string models, which I don't really like much at all. Unfortunately they usually come with Lace pickups which I guess is fine if you're into them.

Aumann

Reaction score
It's totally up to you but, I have a boden 7 original and i'm very happy with it. No trem, nicely figured woods, sounds good for about anything you might want to play. I prefer the original over the Metal because of the lack of thick finish, the nice looks and (if tonewood is even a thing) the nicer woods.

Things to keep in mind which are my gripes with the original:
- The fishman pickups might sound a tad too hi-fi/sterile to you and the single coil mode of these fishman fluence moderns is really lackluster.
- The matte finish will start to get polished and will show shiny spots where you often make contact with the body over time, which is normal, but if that would be a problem for you, a solid finish might be your thing.

bzhang9

Reaction score
original over the metal any day

lighter, smooth satin finish, birdseye board, flame top, sleeker neck (compared side by side the original has a slightly thinner profile)

play them together I guarantee the metal feels bulkier

cthroatgtr

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. A purple original popped up on reverb so that ended my search. Should have it by the end of the week. Next will be figuring out which strings to use with it, etc. Anyone use the D'Addario or the GHS/Strandberg sets? I am always tuned 1/2 step down so I expect a setup will be in order. I like the D'Addario gauges makes sense to go heavier on the low end.

')