Strandberg OS7 or Schecter KM-7 Mk2 or...

• Thread starter MortenOJ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MortenOJ

Reaction score
I am looking for my 1st 7-string. I actually fell in love with the KM-7 Mk2, but now I have noticed, that I could get a Strandberg OS7 for nearly the same price. I do not have the opportunity to try them out before bying, so I'm in desperately need of advice. Other options are welcome as well:nuts:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mr_muffin

Reaction score
Personally, I hate headless axes, so I would buy a KM-7, but it's only my point of view. But I've never played a Standberg, it could be a pretty nice guitar.

Rolanthas

Reaction score
Bummer you don't have an opportunity to try a Strandberg out. I've been looking into them out of curiousity and for all intents and purposes, almost everyone says you have to try them out if only to see the endurneck. That seems to be the biggest aspect that sways a potential buy.

Incredibly curious about them myself, but I simply can't locate one to try where I live.

MortenOJ

Reaction score
Actually, I just noticed, that if I was to buy a Strandberg from the EU shop, It would be 1/3 more expensive, than the Schecter. Guess I'm off the Strandberg again and back on the KM-7...or an alternative...

Cheap Poison

Reaction score
Actually, I just noticed, that if I was to buy a Strandberg from the EU shop, It would be 1/3 more expensive, than the Schecter. Guess I'm off the Strandberg again and back on the KM-7...or an alternative...

I was actually surprised that they were the same price, seems they are not!

Guessing the quality of those 2 should be pretty on par.

Thelamon

Reaction score
I was actually surprised that they were the same price, seems they are not!

Guessing the quality of those 2 should be pretty on par.

Vastly different in design & features, though. If you want a quality guitar for a good price, I definitely think the KM-7 is the answer, but I can't deny the additional thought/engineering that went into the specs for the Strandbergs.

MortenOJ

Reaction score
Just threw in the Ibby RG3727FZ-BH as an option, as well. Haven't really seen any reviews of it though. But It looks NICE.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
Just threw in the Ibby RG3727FZ-BH as an option, as well. Haven't really seen any reviews of it though. But It looks NICE.

Definitely better quality with the Ibanez Prestige. They are much more selective with the wood choice and tend to have better attention to detail all around.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
Never played a KM-7 or an OS7, but I played a boden 7 at NAMM back when S7G was involved. I really liked the endurneck and the overall design of the guitar. That being said, you can't go wrong with an MIJ Ibanez. I now have 4 (admittedly older ones) and they're the best guitars for the best prices I've ever had. All the recent Prestige stuff I've played in stores was very nice too. As a guitarist on a budget, Ibanez is a no brainer to me. Especially if you go used. 7620's come up for sale pretty frequently and you can get them for good deals. I got all 4 of mine from members here on SSO and paid an average of $430. You're also less likely to lose money on a used one, if you decide you don't jive with 7 strings.

BubbleWrap

Reaction score
The safe bet is definitely with a prestige series ibanez, I've had six and am currently down to three, they're made so well. You may want to look into the rgd2127fx. I haven't tried a schecter in a few years. They didn't capture my attention when I did, but the newer ones seem to be pretty good. I am however doing my best to wait patiently for Ola to start selling licenses again so I can build one myself.

bzhan1

Banned
Reaction score
how much is the 3727 there? It's a level above the other two.

MortenOJ

Reaction score
The Washburn px-solar 17etc could also be an alternative. It's a solid maple neck though. Ibbys are 5-piece,KM-7's are 3/5-piece(depending wheater it's Mk1 or 2), but i don't know, if that makes a big difference... Also, the Evertune version is nearly twice as much as the fixed bridge version. Is Evertune really worth that much extra?

')