Strandberg X Mayones concept, need help hammering out the details.

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to think of a design that for me would be the ultimate 7 string.

I love the Strandberg design concepts as far as pure functionality goes. Light weight, super resonant, super comfortable, ect. I also love the looks of Mayones guitars, super classy yet still metal as .....

So, I was thinking of a way to try and blend the best of both worlds.

Bolt on neck (5 bolts)

26.5 inch scale, with either the endure neck profile or something like my Jackson 7

Chambered body

SS frets (duh)

SD Pegasus/Sentiant pickups

Kahler Trem

Mayones Regius body style WITH a headstock (I just can't get into the headstockless design)

Aside from that I have no idea what to do. as far as woods go, i'm clueless. Maybe I won't do a chambered body and do something on the thin side like a Huf-sch-mid (did that because I can't type the whole name out on here) or Ibanez S (of course that would be veering way off course from the Strandberg part). Or maybe i'll have the body on the thicker side to allow for chambering.

Then i'd be worried about neck dive, making the guitar properly balanced and such.

I believe it was Max_of_Metal who said that guitar players can't spec out a good sounding guitar to save their lives :lol: so I'm going to you guys for some advice.

For the woods I was thinking about doing either a Myrtle wood or Mahogany body, and a 5 piece walnut neck with some other wood laminated in there (something that's strong and looks sexy, maybe bloodwood or purple heart). I do want a top, but I have no idea what i'd do for the top. Maybe figured Myrtle wood (I really like the look of it) or something like Claro walnut. I'm just clueless.

Edit: okay maybe there's not as much Strandberg influence as I stated, however I still need help :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
So just a bolt-on Regius with an Endurneck?

I have to agree - if the only thing you're lifting from Strandberg's design is the neck profile, you can hardly call it a Strandberg/Mayones mashup. The ergonomic aspects, including the headless hardware, are sort of fundamental to Ola's approach.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I have to agree - if the only thing you're lifting from Strandberg's design is the neck profile, you can hardly call it a Strandberg/Mayones mashup. The ergonomic aspects, including the headless hardware, are sort of fundamental to Ola's approach.

True alright. Well, the point still stands that I need help with woods :lol:

Reaction score
Ash body, Redwood/Walnut top, ebony neck with wenge stripes, birdseye maple fretboard.

Also, what's your budget :lol: ?

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Ash body, Redwood/Walnut top, ebony neck with wenge stripes, birdseye maple fretboard.

Also, what's your budget :lol: ?

As far as I know nothing really. I was literally just told to spec out my "ideal 7 string" and I very well may have it built. So that's what i'm trying to do

Reaction score
You can also use the Regius headstock, but only the headless system. Like the Speedloader BC Riches.

MetaSoul

Reaction score
Not to be a dick, but I don't think it's necessary to have multiple threads for the same theoretical build. That being said, I've always liked maple + wenge.

Latest posts

')