Strangest Instrument in a metal song?

• Thread starter Diet Kirk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
Trombones...

Euphonium...

Norweigan fiddle...

celticelk

Reaction score
^^^ Hardingfele is the most awesome instrument on the planet, IMO. I really need to try setting up a beater 6-string with a similar tuning.

HaVoC111

Reaction score
Just remembered Motograter played some weird thing which I think happens to be named the same name as the band.

Diet Kirk

Reaction score
Flute. Master!

Musically that wasn't totall up my street, but the flute part was really cool and nicely used.

That banjo thing is awesome. Saxophone gets used on zillions of rock songs and a fair amount of metal (besides the aforementioned, Shining uses it a lot, I remember Amorphis and some other bands like that have used it here and there) so I don't find that weird. Here's another Taake song which I think might top the banjo, I don't even know what you call this instrument, so I'll just say it's called the BOINNGGGGGG!

Skip to 3:00.

Korn ruined the bagpipes, I think.

Boing!!!! Was this the engineer mocking the band? haha

I really havn't heard much sax in heavy music, or horns for that matter, anymore bands I should check out?

that australian instrument, the didgeridoo? in the beginning. at least im pretty sure it is?

I'd heard this sort of digeridoo intro before, whilst not metal anymore, incubus had digeridoo on their most metal album science.

Folk metal has a lot of kickass instruments, just look at this lineup! :hbang:

I really wanted to hate this, but I just couldn't. Not a big fan of this kind of metal, but damn I've been humming this all morning!

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
I really havn't heard much sax in heavy music, or horns for that matter, anymore bands I should check out?

Shining (Norway) - he's the sax guy for Ihsahn

Sigh also use sax

Negura Bunget use all sorts of Romanian instruments- this track has didgeridoo and trumpet

lots of pagan/BM bands use synth horns in their tracks - check out Moonsorrow, Equilibrium, Brythonic, Bal-Sagoth etc

Chthonic use indigenous Taiwenese instruments

Pantheon I use a cellist

Blood Ceremony use a lot of flute:

cgabb

Reaction score
I really like the concept but there's something missing, i guess it will take a while before i really like the botanist. Here's something a bit more raw :

At the moment I can't think of anything more weird than peste noire with their ''vieille à roue''../ also the harmonica in Ballade ....re lo...even if I dislike the band.

cgabb

Reaction score
There's a guy named Vikingskog on youtube with a huge collection of Norwegian trad. and a lot of fiddle.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I think M.A.N deserves a mention. They use 24-EDO guitars with 24 frets per octave.

The guitarist also has an eleven string, 36 fret guitar with extra range behind the nut. He also plays a number of stranger niche instruments.

ascl

Reaction score

that australian instrument, the didgeridoo? in the beginning. at least im pretty sure it is?

Pretty sure this is just some throat singing, not didgeridoo. This random wiki agrees:

Bridges in the Sky - Dream Theater Wiki

(for whatever that is worth).

To avoid this being a completely pointless post I'll post something with actual digeridoo:

This is the intro to the coroner album "grin". It has two tracks that are just didgeridoo and nothing else: It isn't a bad album, albeit a bit old (93): )

EDIT:

Oh Alchemist did as well, this is in the song too rather than just an intro (and slightly newer 2000):

Preacher

Lord of Beer
Reaction score

Carnival in coal. I think its a Hurdy-Gurdy? Also some other weird shhhhhtuff in there as well. cool song though and cool band in general, they did a Gore song set to disco music

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I now have new inspiration to uses my saxes, banjo and mandolin... :D

Also is brass a big deal? Nightwish... It's a keyboard but still.

')