Strapping Young Lad - The New Black

• Thread starter zimbloth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Giving it a listen now. Fun stuff. I really dug their "Alien" album and some of their old stuff. Any of you guys check this out yet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
You Pirate!

(Mine's preordered, so I figure... I've already purchased it, so I'm getting it now.)

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah but nothing will ever be City again, and SYL can't touch DTB :p.

It's what it's supposed to be - a metal band for fun. If you take them seriously... well.. it's like taking South Park seriously.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I like it a lot so far. Although it's nice to get an advanced copy, I'll be buying it the day it comes out. :hbang:

Mr. S

tacos?
Reaction score
im looking forward to it, but Alien is gunna be hard to beat, but then it was like that for city too....

that said i much prefer dev's solo stuff

Firebeard

Viking Lord
Reaction score
I'm restricted to his Infinity record (He's naked! :ugh:) and SYL's City. Yep, I'm way behind on Dev's musical progress. :lol: But I really like both sides.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
DSS3 said:
You Pirate!

(Mine's preordered, so I figure... I've already purchased it, so I'm getting it now.)

Yeah but I always buy CDs I like. So, no harm done. Besides, 99% of the CDs I own I never would have if I hadn't heard it first to know whether I'd like it.

Anyways, I think the album is pretty cool. I didn't like City that much, I much prefer their self-titled album and Alien. This album is nothing remarkable but like DSS said, its fun.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
haven't heard city, but the self titled album is great, and i'm really enjoying this album... i'm glad its got solos, unlike the self titled... synchestra is also a really cool yet strange album

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Listening to it right now, I'm on Wrong Side - holy fucking shit, I knew Devin could shred, but not like THAT. And Gene is a fucking machine, as always.

What don't people like about this album? I don't get it! So far, it's been really good, and the production is tits.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Checking it out now. So far the first track kills anything they've done before. More guitar in the mix, which I like :hbang: Overall the mix is a huge improvement over the other stuff I've heard (Alien and SYL), less noisy, more clear. Killer solo. This one will be amazing live :hbang:

Unlike some people, I really like "You Suck". Another one that will probably be killer live. So far this album seems to be written and produced to capture their live energy, which is a hugely fucking good idea.

The riff in Antiproduct kinda makes me think "If Zakk Wylde joined Korn..." but it's cool too :lol: Yeah, crazy cool song, with a great groove which I've never heard from SYL before. This album's definitely going in the car tomorrow and will likely stay there a long time. It may be the album that finally convinces my drummer (not a metalhead in the least) of the awesomeness of Devin Townsend and SYL.

Crazy vocals on Monument, with an interesting rhythm to it. Makes me think of demonic pirates, which is cool. More horns, which is killer. The whole album's got that "We're just a bunch of guys having a great time" feel to it, which is totally what I get from reading/hearing interviews and the live clips I've seen on Youtube.

Crazy shredding and drumming on the next track. Freaking insane.

Hope's got an interesting intro to it. Shows off that killer tone DT's been getting lately with those baritone 7's. Kinda reminds me of the main riff of "Pixillate" off DTB's new album. Cool song though. Crazy ending, very dramatic. It's one of those moments where DT's writing reminds me of a film score.

Far Beyond Metal's pretty killer, some more great riffs. SYL's definitely stepped up as far as riffs on this album. And I love the inclusion of horns. When Devin comes in with the melodic part, it just slays me. It's amazing :hbang: Anyone know who the other vocals are?

Fucker's cool too. Definitely a different feel from SYL, but I love it. Who's the guest vocalist? Another great live track most likely. This whole album's just full of riffs that will work really well live. Damn, I may have to buy a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier at some point...definitely the best tones I've heard from DT are on this album and "Synchestra". And when I saw him live, his tones killed those of Dark Tranquility and Opeth (though Opeth's tones were great too). It's just that "God-tone" I've been looking for.

Almost Again is really cool, and very different from the usual SYL sound. Almost a DTB sort of feel. Great song, with some very different playing from everyone in the band. Cool riff, cool drumming, cool vocals, dynamics build nicely...

The intro of Plyophony reminds me of A Simple Lullaby off Synchestra, and yet sounds like something I'd write. Very cool song. Short, but really interesting, with some very unusual sounds. And a good showcase of those "evil sounding" drums mentioned on their site.

Wow, great intro on the next song, with more of those "evil" drums. Huge sounding, amazing. Great riffage. Great end to the record, would work well live as well.

Kinda disappointed that the bonus tracks didn't come with this advanced version I downloaded, but I'm not going to complain, because I technically did just steal the album lol

Album comes out officially the day after my birthday, so I'll be sure to pick it up :hbang:

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
just bought this one the other day, it's pretty cool :yesway:. after Terria, my interest in this Townsend cat has increased. i think i'll go after Alien or Physicist (heh) sometime in the future. it seems as though he's got a nice round catalogue for me to explore :metal:

eleven59 said:
Fucker's cool too. Definitely a different feel from SYL, but I love it. Who's the guest vocalist?
[action=Leon]checks the liner notes from his purchased, un-pirated CD, dyar.[/action]
Bif Naked.

Nic

Reaction score
Kicks ass! Though I don't think he'll ever top Alien. Maybe 4 of the songs on New Black are that good. Not that any of them are bad by any means.

bulb

Reaction score
alien is the best, new black is very good for the most part.
antiproduct can get a bit tiresome, and i really just dont like fucker, sounds like devin going nu-metal haha, it even has that typical nu metal rhythm.
But the rest is awesome. And yeah i would love to see if he sings and shreds the chorus of wrong side at the same time, that would be amazing!

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
bulb said:
And yeah i would love to see if he sings and shreds the chorus of wrong side at the same time, that would be amazing!
Yep, he does! :eek:
Look up footage on YouTube from the Download festival.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
The BR&BN cd has two SYL recordings. The first one was better, but they're both pretty amazing.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell Yeah they fucking Suck!
Hell Yeah the fucking suck!
Even your girlfriend fucking sucks!
Hell yeah she fucking sucks!

Skeksis

Closed Eye Visuals
Reaction score
I love SYL, but "The New Black" sucks hard.

')