Strats In Metal

Ruins

Reaction score
Didn't john 5 from Marylin Manson use a telecaster ?
The guitarist in styx has a stratocaster
The singer in the pixies has a tele
yep fender develop him his own signature model he loves his prototype so much that he even recoded his solo album Devil Knows My Name
at Marylin Manson times he was still using the ibbys i think
donno much i just like his solo albums

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Well, there are people using Strats in Metal, apparently. Thing is that I don't think the sound really fits metal... especially when they use actual single-coil pickups.
Even Yngwie, although technically using double-coil (stacked) pickups, his sound is just not powerful enough in the low-end, and the high-end sounds quite harsh and brittle, especially on the bridge humbucker. I like the tone he gets on the neck pickup, but for rhythm he just lacks the 'oomph' that metal needs imho.
Strats also tend to sound quite noisy and 'unfocused' at the gain levels required for metal.

D

Desecrated

Well, there are people using Strats in Metal, apparently. Thing is that I don't think the sound really fits metal... especially when they use actual single-coil pickups.
Even Yngwie, although technically using double-coil (stacked) pickups, his sound is just not powerful enough in the low-end, and the high-end sounds quite harsh and brittle, especially on the bridge humbucker. I like the tone he gets on the neck pickup, but for rhythm he just lacks the 'oomph' that metal needs imho.
Strats also tend to sound quite noisy and 'unfocused' at the gain levels required for metal.

Thats assuming that a strat must have a singlecoil, but you have a couple of people who uses a humbucker in the strats nowadays. Even the bloody 'hello kitty' guitar comes with a humbucker :D

GuitarG2

Reaction score
Dave Gilmour has EMGs in a strat. :p
Wow, just WOW! :eek::nuts::lol:

Adam did record all the drums on that album, but was also co-writing guitar parts with Joel. Tom Gomes is credited for 'additional perdussion' on the album because at the time of going to press they had procured him for drums live, but he didn't record or write anything on the album.

Aah OK, cheers for the info. :yesway:

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Thats assuming that a strat must have a singlecoil, but you have a couple of people who uses a humbucker in the strats nowadays. Even the bloody 'hello kitty' guitar comes with a humbucker :D

True, there's a certain gray area there...
Strats with single-coils, stacked coils or even rails, they don't convince me.
Strats with humbuckers... depends on whether you still consider them Strats, or actually Superstrats, because those are in a different class altogether.
It all started with people like Eddie van Halen sticking Gibson pickups in their Strats ofcourse... So in a way they've been doing it since the beginning (Joe Satriani and Steve Vai started out that way aswell, building a sort of 'Frankenstrat' with humbuckers and a Floyd-Rose). It's just that eventually companies like Jackson and Ibanez started to make off-the-shelf Superstrats, so you no longer needed to build your own, and therefore people sticking humbuckers and Floyds in their Strats became less common.
But I would still say that a 'thoroughbred' metal sound tends to come from guitars with not only humbuckers, but also fat sounding bodies, like mahogany, and often a set-neck or neck-through.
A Strat with the right humbucker would merely be 'acceptable'. It will never be anywhere near the devastating power of a Gibson Explorer.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Godflesh - almost everything.. pretty sure it was a Japanese Squire tuned down to C

Justin Broadrick played a Japanese Fender Strat almost exclusively in Godflesh. It was loaded with a Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge. For the majority of Godflesh's recorded material they tuned to C# but were also tuning to B frequently. Broadrick has finally put the Strat away - it was falling to pieces apparently - and is now playing and old style Schecter C7 (5+2 headstock) in his new band Jesu which is tuned to A.

Another Start user is Trevor Peres from Obituary, he's the rhythm player and his tone is ridiculous for a Strat.

LordGrendel

Seven Heart stringer
Reaction score
Devin Townsend uses strats for "The Devin Townsend Band" and what about Greg Howe, I know that's not metal but he makes them sound amazing still and he played on James Murphy's first solo record "Convergence" and that was a metal record(although he played on the Al DiMeola cover) so does that count...

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
I've only seen Greg Howe play on HR Strats and ESP guitars... which are basically Superstrats... They're closer to an Ibanez or Jackson than to an original Strat.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
But they're still strats...semantics

Well, I don't know. If my Ibanez RG was a bit less pointy and had Fender on the headstock, it'd still sound the same, but people would call it a Strat aswell.
If it sounded anything like a Strat I would never have bought it in the first place, because I can't stand the things. I'm a Les Paul player, the other extreme of the spectrum.

turmoil

l0rd of teh shr3d
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure one of the guys from Ion Dissonance uses/used a strat with EMGS for a while.

')