Strictly 7 Solar 7

• Thread starter Masch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masch

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This thread has more of an 'axe comparison' nature to it and not sure if posted in the correct place (dear mods feel free to move if need be!).
I'm thinking of selling a BFR John Petrucci 7string 2008 make in order to make funds for a guitar that fits more to my needs. The BFR just won't cut it for me, it's too tinny sounding and muddy at times, especially when chugging those low 'extra' notes, plus I never really understood how a 7 string guitar could work with a 25 inch scale. Being from a country where choice, apart from your typical mass produced guitars, does not come in abundance. Therefore judgement, unfortunately, may only be made based on youtube videos and reviews provided by other people who own these instruments. The decision to sell the BFR has sunk in a long time ago and the first replacement that came to mind was an ESP STEF B7, Stephen Carpenter model. Now, as the title indicates, a new candidate has arisen, Strictly 7's Solar 7 guitar. I consider these guitars surprisingly within budget, given the specs they offer and I'm thinking that a Solar 7 plus a flame maple top over mahogany instead of ash an fitted with BKP Aftermaths would suit me well and would be a step forward from the BFR or ESP.
This is an open discussion and would love your opinion on this!
Regards,
Masch, Cyprus

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Change your pups. There's tons of groups using JPs and have insane tone. The stock pickups might not be best suited for your style of playing/gear/rig etc.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
I'll be totally honest here. I own a strictly 7+1 8 string and it's the best guitar I've ever owned...next to my petrucci sixer. I cant imagine that a BFR petrucci cant get the job done for pretty much anything with the right electronics. Also, dont fall into the "longer scale is better" hype needlesly either, because I thought the exact same thing and I found that it didn't make enough of a difference to convert me to a baritone player. as it turns out, I needed to get better at EQing my setup, so you may want to look there.

I'll totally vouch for S7 though, awesome guitars for an outstanding price point. I'd just hate for you to bounce a BFR 'trooch and regret it later. being a tone hound is a bitch sometimes :lol:

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I like the Strictly 7 guitars, but there's a chance you'll be disappointed if you come off of a BFR for one. Just change your pickups, and maybe the type of strings you use.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Also, the Solar 7 is a production model. If you want to hangs the woods, finish, etc you're looking at a custom Cobra. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the Solar 7 only refers to that specific model.

Qweklain

Reaction score
Maybe you should tell us here and/or start a thread in the gear section for recommendations, as glassmoon0fo said, it may just be the EQ on your rig or your rig in general.

Although to add on to the "longer scale is better" comment, it is technically better as it allows for more accurate intonation, especially if you downtune. Also, it adds about 1-1.5 lbs. of tension (if you are talking 27 vs 25.5), which will tighten the tone up a bit on the lows.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I feel like the Crunchlab/Liquifire combo is absolute perfection in a BFR. I cant even see that guitar with different pickups.

Masch

Reaction score
First of all thanx to everyone for contributing! Your opinion and input is well appreciated.
Perhaps I wasn't clear as to why I would like to get rid of my current guitar.
I'm not influenced by the whole 'the bigger the scale the better' hype but it is a fact that the bigger the scale the tighter the action is and the more balanced the intonation. I've tried various changes on the guitar, I've swapped the Dimarzio D-Sonic it came with, with a BKP Aftermath. It sounds a lot hotter and tighter yet it still sounds colourless with no character. Most of my favourite guitars are PRS Customs and perhaps the sound I'm looking for is that of a maple on mahogany with passive pickups (the BKP Aftermaths are not bad). The tuning I'm currently playing is D Standard or in the case of my 7string, it goes from A to D. On high gain amps such as my Pittbull Ultralead it sounds a lot muddier (even though cleaner with the Aftermath) and that doesn't only come down to the pickups or the guitar and the choice of woods itself but mostly, in my opinion, that there isn't enough tension (the strings used are 0.60 to 0.11). Having spoken to a guitar tech I work with he suggested that the ESP STEF B7 would be the perfect choice for me even though I don't like active pickups and haven't played with any for a long time. I'd prefer something more organic and unique. Hence my interest in Strictly 7.
As far as the Solar 7 vs Cobra debate, I wouldn't mind going for a different model. Either way, and no matter what wood I choose, they still seem like a bargain compared to the 3300 USD I paid for the BFR...

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Aftermaths aren't my favi Bareknuckles I've played imo. As you say, they're a bit metallic sounding, and lack weight and balls. I'd try swapping it out for a painkiller or holydiver. They have a lot more low-end and weight to them, while retaining clarity and being organic sounding. I'd recommend those if it's tone you're not happy with.

As for Strictly 7, I have no personal experience with them but I have heard mixed responses regarding them.

Masch

Reaction score
Cheers for that! It's mostly the tone that bugs me and perhaps a pickup change / mod would help a lot but then it's also the tension of the strings and intonation that I'm not happy with...

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
Cheers for that! It's mostly the tone that bugs me and perhaps a pickup change / mod would help a lot but then it's also the tension of the strings and intonation that I'm not happy with...

Have you...thought about upping your string gauge? :scratch:

I use a .64 for Bb on a 25.5. Maybe you should give a .66 on the low end a shot. Half your problem isn't your guitar, its your strings.

Masch

Reaction score
Indeed I have, I've tried various combinations of strings and I'm most likely about to give it another shot. At the mo I have EB Beefy Slinky 0.11 - 0.54 topped with a 0.60 in place of the top string. Do you think I should try using a 0.64 or 0.66 as the lowest string? I'm also thinking of changing the pickups for a calibrated set of BKP Painkillers. Any recommendations for pickups?

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Maybe lundgrens? Or even a dimarzios tone zone in bridge? What kind of tone are you aiming for?

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
Indeed I have, I've tried various combinations of strings and I'm most likely about to give it another shot. At the mo I have EB Beefy Slinky 0.11 - 0.54 topped with a 0.60 in place of the top string. Do you think I should try using a 0.64 or 0.66 as the lowest string? I'm also thinking of changing the pickups for a calibrated set of BKP Painkillers. Any recommendations for pickups?

Definitely. It cleared up my low end considerably.

Masch

Reaction score
That's great guys, thanx for the input! As for pickups, I'd love something balanced, harmonically rich but with balls and low end. I want the pickup to retain clarity and definition while being able to provide some hot, high gain stuff.
Reason I'm thinking about BKP Painkillers is because they fit the description at least[U] in theory[/U] The Aftermath is really hot and tight, clear and defined but in opinion a bit too bright and 'sparkly' or 'metallic'. It has got to be something to do with my guitar's basswood body..Any thoughts what to do with pickups?

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
miracle man sets work great in basswood, and I have a warpig set (ceramic bridge, alnico neck) that does the same in a swamp ash body. Those two get my vote for what you're describing.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I vote for thicker strings and different pickups.

For strings, I'd do .12-.56 with a low .70 for your tuning. I know it sounds huge, but it REALLY works great!

For pickups, I'm a big DiMarzio fan so I'd recommend a Blaze Custom in the bridge with a Liquifire in the neck. They're not super high output (which is good. They retain clarity that way) but The Blaze custom is really fat and punchy while the Liquifire is smooth as glass.

Masch

Reaction score
Once again thank you lads...you have no idea how much this constructive discussion helps a 'gear hunter's' perception! Cheers for that!:hbang:

')