Strictly 7 - What would you guys do...

• Thread starter Kayzer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kayzer

Reaction score
...today its me who is asking for some advice or "what would you guys do"

I ordered a DL8 from Strictly 7 short before everything went downhill and the shitstorm started.

I was very close to the point to just give a shit about my 1/3 deposit and move on to the next project.

But .... me running that DL8 looks ....ing georgious and even better than i could have imagined... I dont see anything what could be wrong in those pictures, is there something i might not notice or oversee after beeing in pre-honeymoon? [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
I hope that link works for you otherwise you can find the DL8 pictures on their site...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.479376925470819.1073741849.108503082558207&type=1

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
its really a tough call. i would as for a detalied video that you want to see be for paying. they will make a video for you if they want to get paid. i had 2 8s from them and there were no issues with them. i had always said from the beginning that customer service was an issue and as of late QC has been a hot item.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Obviously I wouldn't trust anything those guys say. You have already paid the deposit. If you could get it back then Id advise on that, but deposits are always non refundable. On the issue of a knot or wormhole, theres no way to know on a painted Strictly 7 guitar.

Kayzer

Reaction score
Its a see through finish and at least all 3 pieces of the neck are flamed ( ;-P ) and i cant spot any worm holes.
I also went lucky with my BRJ i got in 2010 (one of the best metal sounding guitars in my collection)
I will sleep a night over it and probably give it a shot and i paid 1K already so passing out would be kind stupid...

Also in a video you can cover or hide lots of things, just remember keith S7 videos could you imagine him having problems with those guitars after seeing those amazing videos he is doing?

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Holy cow, the guys in the other thread were right, what's up with the huge control cavities? That guitar only has one pickup and one volume knob yet the cavity looks to take up nearly 20% of the body.

Anyhow, OP - if I were you I'd follow through and get it. Maybe you can ask them if you are not happy with it and send it back if they can just refund the $2000 remaining price. You'll lose out on the $1000 but yeah, deposits are non-refundable... it is a custom after all.

Rev.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Sure, S7 seems to go through rough times...but I don't think it's the right thing to be paranoid about every new guitar they ship out. I'm sure most of these guitars are just fine. If I was american, I'd get one tbh.

Kayzer

Reaction score
Holy cow, the guys in the other thread were right, what's up with the huge control cavities? That guitar only has one pickup and one volume knob yet the cavity looks to take up nearly 20% of the body.

Anyhow, OP - if I were you I'd follow through and get it. Maybe you can ask them if you are not happy with it and send it back if they can just refund the $2000 remaining price. You'll lose out on the $1000 but yeah, deposits are non-refundable... it is a custom after all.

Rev.

Can you remember the jackson COW that one also had a unreal hughe electric panel. Also one of my guerillas has a way to huge one but both guitars are more then awesome...

Keep in mind i am from the EU and there are also non refoundable import taxes so i will probably better of selling it for 2K when it does not meet my expectations... But thanks for your thoughts...

kris_jammage

Reaction score
Saw the pictures on Facebook earlier, I was scanning them very closely for any flaws but I couldnt see any! Sure if there is, I'm sure you can always sent it back or get it fixed. I wouldnt abandon your deposit just yet! The guitar looks awesome!

Kayzer

Reaction score
Sure, S7 seems to go through rough times...but I don't think it's the right thing to be paranoid about every new guitar they ship out. I'm sure most of these guitars are just fine. If I was american, I'd get one tbh.

Good point but have a look at my location :cool:

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score

Wanting to follow through on a guitar you have paid a deposit on and waited a year on is one thing, and still risky at that, but putting in a new order and placing a new deposit and wait another year with this company at this point is a very bad decision to make.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not crazy about how that guitar looks. That might be preference rather than something actually being wrong. I dislike the size of the cavity and how it actually fits in the body. I like control cavities to sit flush with the back of the body. That looks like it would be a pain in the ass to dig out if you need to get in there for any reason. This is also preference, but the stain job looks a little rushed to me. I kind confirmed this by going back and watching an update video where Jim was applying stain. I'm far from an expert on wood work, but I at least remember from years of shop class that staining takes more finesse than throwing it on and running in a hard, side-to-side pattern.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not crazy about how that guitar looks. That might be preference rather than something actually being wrong. I dislike the size of the cavity and how it actually fits in the body. I like control cavities to sit flush with the back of the body. That looks like it would be a pain in the ass to dig out if you need to get in there for any reason. This is also preference, but the stain job looks a little rushed to me. I kind confirmed this by going back and watching an update video where Jim was applying stain. I'm far from an expert on wood work, but I at least remember from years of shop class that staining takes more finesse than throwing it on and running in a hard, side-to-side pattern.
I have to say that, based on the photos, I have to agree to all of the points you make.

I don't know, Dennis... I understand you're on the fence with this. I wouldn't feel that great about getting that guitar, but wasting $1000 surely isn't easily done either. It's hard to tell what the right decision would be. I don't have a whole lot of trust into the company.

Vairish

Reaction score
Good point but have a look at my location :cool:

I'm kinda wondering if there's any way they could send the guitar to Guitar Candy in Belgium (I think they are an S7 dealer) where you can inspect the final product before forking over the remaining money?

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
If you are really unsure about it then I would see if you can possibly get your deposit back. If you can't and it's not worth it to lose the money on it and it's what you wanted then I would just get the guitar. If it's not your thing at all then sell it and if theres really major issues then I would complain.

I would ask for a lot more pics especially of the fretboard. Yeah I don't understand why the control cavity is so big either, but what are you gonna do.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
I would wait for the guitar to come. There is a very slim chance you'll have anything less than a stellar guitar.

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
You won't get your deposit back.

I'd ask for detailed pics of the guitar before paying a cent more. These guys need to learn the hard way it seems. If folks are asking for detailed pics of every build, they will learn very quickly that they have to put up or shut up as they won't get their money unless folks "ok" the build.

Walterson

Reaction score
They forgot final sanding the inner sides of the cutaways/horns on this one before they put on the finish.

429861_479377578804087_2069312874_n.jpg

426698_479377405470771_1215450597_n.jpg

The Ferrules are not in line and exactly spaced:
971147_479377552137423_1954272717_n.jpg

Tearouts and sandingmarks on the Headstock:
424740_479377455470766_970027586_n.jpg

And thats only what I can tell from their own pictures....

Aftertheburial13

Reaction score
I wouldnt do it. Even a standard production guitar around 1k dosent have that many problems. The knicks on the headstock... :noplease:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't worry a huge amount over it. My guess is they'd be reluctant to give you your deposit back if there isn't a known problem, and you can always protest afterwards (via the credit card, etc) if you get a lemon you can't return. But not every S7 is going to be problematic, or we'd see a lot more of these problem guitars cropping up.
tl;dr don't be worried (or excited) about a guitar based on a couple of reviews. Check it out yourself first, if possible. You might just be freaking out.

petervindel

Reaction score
I got my S7+1 from them a month ago, and it looks similar to yours.
I have some problems with fret buzz, but haven't had the time to get it fixed by my tech yet (I'm in the middle of moving).
Apart from that, it's a fantastic guitar. Personally I love the neck, it plays better than my 6-string baritone wich is only 28" (The S7+1 is 30.2").
And the Lundgren M8 sound like a beast.

I would do it, but I can see why you are paranoid. So was I when they said they would ship mine after waiting only 9 months.

Latest posts

')