String action vs. truss rod bow

• Thread starter AzzMan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AzzMan

Reaction score
I'm starting to get comfortable adjusting my truss rods, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to find a happy medium between string height and neck bow. If I put more bow in the neck, the strings come up, but I get less fret buzz... then I lower the action to a comfortable level, and the buzz will come back (obviously).

If I keep adding bow and lowering the strings, theoretically, the bow should stop the buzzing on the lower frets, while still allowing me to drop the action where the strings are still low, but don't buzz on the high frets either. Right?

Is there anything I'm missing? I still haven't messed with this a lot, I'm just starting to learn how.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup

^ best tech "how to" article I've read that pretty much sums up how to balance truss rod bow and bridge height to get optimal string action...

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
the nut: responsible for only open note buzz

the trussrod: responsible for buzz between fret 1 and fret 11

the bridge: responsible for buzz from the last fret to the 12th fret

generally, you want your truss rod pretty straight

i aim to get my truss rod as straight as i can without any buzz on the lower frets

then i move on to the bridge with small adjustments

i usually try to get the action at the 12th fret to be the same as the 24th fret

i hope this helps

Latest posts

')