String Buzz at 2nd fret

r33per

Reaction score
Hopefully I'm in the correct forum...

I went to work on the my RG752AHM to do some setup. I very much like it has three issues:
1. Lo-Pro angle - needs pulled back a degree or two
2. Action - quite high. Would prefer it dropped a mm or two
3. Intonation - dreadfully sharp above 10th fret, in some cases close to a 1/4-tone

The trem is sorted, so that's fine. However, as I drop the action there is really bad fret buzz on 2nd-3rd fret on the 3rd string and a little on the 3rd fret top string (standard tuning E-B-G-D-A-E-B). However, with the action where I want it (not super-low; unfortunately I'm in the office so I don't have the mm measurements to hand...) the intonation was almost spot on.

So, I guess my question is: what do I need to do to lower the action but without the bad buzz at those frets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Is the neck straight-ish? You generally want a little bit of relief (forward bow), but just barely. If the neck is angled too much, you will want to fix that first.

If the neck is straight, and the action is too high, and there is still buzzing at the second fret, then the third fret is too high, so you'll have to take it down to the appropriate level or have a tech do the same.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
A couple things you want to check first...

1. Nut height and slots. Is it the right height or does it need to be shimmed.
2. How is the relief on the neck. You may need more.
3. Are the frets all level? Especially 1-5. Check with a fret rocker.

r33per

Reaction score
Thanks, folks. I'm just home and it is feeding time, so I'll take a look after my belly is full and report back.

r33per

Reaction score
The neck was straight and the nut is already shimmed. I've loosened the truss rod a little to give some neck relief. I'll see how yhat goes tomorrow and go from there.

Thank you all for your advice!

')