String buzz on low B when played open 1st and 2nd fret.

Filter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi, my first post. Seeking some help…

I recently put heavier gauge strings (11-64) on my Ibanez 7 string. Originally had 10-59 on it.
I made necessary truss rod adjustment, string action and intonation. But I get the buzz when played open or 1st and 2nd fret on the low B string.

Couple of things I tried: two small pieces of paper in the nut between nut and string. Thinking maybe the nut cut too low.

Also raised the action at the bridge from 2.4mm to 3mm. It’s quite high for comfort and I prefer it lower.

The buzz is much better but still occurs occasionally. I play pretty hard with my right hand but I never had this issue with the light gauge. Bit perplexed? Any thoughts on what I’ve tried and what I should do or could do?

Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickgray

Reaction score
I made necessary truss rod adjustment
You sure? A fatter string with the same tuning will have more tension and less potential for buzzing as a result. Not enough neck relief is prime suspect for buzzing on the first frets.

There's also the usual age old advice - buzzing is often normal, it only matters if it comes through the amp. Buzzing is also fairly complex and there are a lot of variables - right hand technique, the setup, the pick itself (thickness, material, type of tip), player's expectations and willingness to adapt.

Filter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ll check it again and make a further counter clockwise adjustment if needed to see if it helps.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A tip that stuck with me:

If you have fret buzz below the 6th fret, try to loosen the truss rod a little bit. If it's buzzing above the 6th fret try tightening the truss rod.

From there, make saddle adjustments to fine tune things.

Filter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A tip that stuck with me:

If you have fret buzz below the 6th fret, try to loosen the truss rod a little bit. If it's buzzing above the 6th fret try tightening the truss rod.

From there, make saddle adjustments to fine tune things.
I’ll give that go and see if it helps…

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Buzzing on open usually means the nut is too low. How much of a shim did you put? They sell metal shims that come in incremented sizes.

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Buzzing on open usually means the nut is too low. How much of a shim did you put? They sell metal shims that come in incremented sizes.
Seconding this, I think the nut slot being too low isn't uncommon, and this is one sign of it. . I'm actually having the opposite situation that you are because I went down to a way smaller string. I put new strings on a 7 that was owned previously and put a .62 on the bottom string (for drop G#). Said string buzzes like crazy on a bunch of the frets both high and low, but it has this distinctive rattle when playing any open notes that's leading me to think the nut's low. (the fretwork and setup are both good, so it's not those).

Which reminds me, I gotta get on that

Filter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would say about 0.1 mm. Should I increase it further?
Also do you have a link to these metal shims. I can’t seem to get anything in my google search. I’m probably not searching for the right thing?

Filter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seconding this, I think the nut slot being too low isn't uncommon, and this is one sign of it. . I'm actually having the opposite situation that you are because I went down to a way smaller string. I put new strings on a 7 that was owned previously and put a .62 on the bottom string (for drop G#). Said string buzzes like crazy on a bunch of the frets both high and low, but it has this distinctive rattle when playing any open notes that's leading me to think the nut's low. (the fretwork and setup are both good, so it's not those).

Which reminds me, I gotta get on that
Yep I’m getting the same rattle. Yet you went lighter gauge, interesting? 🤔

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
if it’s literally only the open, 1st, abd 2nd frets, you might want to check the height of the third fret on that string. It could be a touch high. I had one like that, and because I’m an impatient ham-fisted idiot, I tapped it with a rubber mallet and it plays perfectly now. :lol: I would recommend something a little more controlled, but do check to make sure it’s not a touch high there.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score

Filter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Update:

First I don’t have a fret rocker so I just used a bank card across three frets. 1-3 then 2-4, 3-5 and so on. All level.

Then I checked the neck. There was enough clearance at the 8th fret. Even so I made a counter clockwise (relief) truss rod adjustment a quarter turn. Tested without much difference. Went another quarter turn.

Checked intonation and at the saddle lowered low b string height to 2.8mm at the 14th fret.

Pleased to report it’s much improved. Still a bit of buzz every now and then but it’s at a more tolerable level and not as consistent.

')