String Buzzing

• Thread starter Un1corn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
Hi,I have an Ormsby 6string hype gtr,The scale length is 25.5-27.5.I'm using 1356,tuned to Drop G#.
My G# string is buzzing on the 2nd fret to about 8th fret,the amp is catching the buzzing sound on some specific frets.
I found that 56 is thin for G#, it just don't have enough tension.The string is floppy. I'm going to buy a 64 next time.
Could 64 make buzzing less if the string get enough tension?Thx.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
There are plenty of factors. Action, neck relief, uneven frets, hell it could even be loose hardware and not actual feet buzz.

Changing gauges might help, it might do nothing, and in the case of too low action, it might make it worse. It's hard to say, but I typically use 7 string power slinky strings for A and drop G. I've never had an issue with fret buzz, even on 26.5 inch scales. (Even 25.5 buzz wasn't an issue.)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
56 is suuuuuuuper loose indeed. Even on 27.5. No way you're going to get rid of buzz without sky high action or relief I'm afraid. That's about the same tension as a 38 low E on 25.5, for some perspective.
The 64 will be the same tension as the 56 is in A# - so tune that 56 up to A# and see if you're happy with it :) That's how the 64 will feel - just about tight enough, personally :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Un1corn

Instant Djent Machine
Reaction score
56 is suuuuuuuper loose indeed. Even on 27.5. No way you're going to get rid of buzz without sky high action or relief I'm afraid. That's about the same tension as a 38 low E on 25.5, for some perspective.
The 64 will be the same tension as the 56 is in A# - so tune that 56 up to A# and see if you're happy with it :) That's how the 64 will feel - just about tight enough, personally :)
Thanks!gonna buy 64 then

Latest posts