String ferrule not sitting flush

• Thread starter cyb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cyb

Tune Low Play Slow
Reaction score
on my sc607b one of the string ferrules on the top side is sticking out of the hole a little bit and isn't sitting flush with the body. what would be the best way to push the ferrule all the way into the hole? doing it by hand isn't working. I thought about using a rubber mallet but I'm not sure if that would mess up the guitar. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
I have seen people use a soldering iron to apply heat to help the ones on the back push in, I don't know if that would work on the front.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Soldering Iron likely will not help, Ferrules are typically friction fit, not glued. Scary as it may sound a mallet is how they got them in in the first place.

seven_stringer

Reaction score
Has the ferrule always looked this way? If the hole was drilled correctly then you should be able to tap it back in using a wood dowel(rod) and a rubber mallet or hammer. Caution should be used so the dowel doesn't slip off of the ferrule and damage the guitar top. Start off with a light tap using the dowel and hammer to see if it sets it flush. If it gets hit too hard it could dig into the top of the wood/finish and mess things up. I use a small block of hardwood and my fret press to install both front and rear ferrules which I will admit is overkill but how I do it. Good luck.

CD1221

Reaction score
I would make a "dolly" by turning down the end of a section of dowel so that it just fits inside the ferrule, and the turned down section sits on the top ridge of the ferrule. Then you can have a bit of a hit with a mallet/hammer etc and not worry about either hitting the guitar, or having the dowel slide off and denting it.

It will take longer, but be much safer.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Take a rubber handled screw driver, place the rubber end on the furrule, then use a hammer or mallet to strike it into place.

')