String gauge for A standard 6 string

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
I've kept all my guitars in D standard for many years and always stuck with the same 2 sets of strings.
Today I'd like to use A standard (ADGFAD) on a 25.5 scale Jackson, I got a spare 7 string set of .11-.14-.18p-.28-.38-.48-.58 and an extra .64 just in case don't remember where or why I have that.
11 14 18 28 48 58 should I use this set?
I use Ernie Ball Hybrids 9-46 for D standard on my Caparison and Fusion Jackson.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've kept all my guitars in D standard for many years and always stuck with the same 2 sets of strings.
Today I'd like to use A standard (ADGFAD) on a 25.5 scale Jackson, I got a spare 7 string set of .11-.14-.18p-.28-.38-.48-.58 and an extra .64 just in case don't remember where or why I have that.
11 14 18 28 48 58 should I use this set?
I use Ernie Ball Hybrids 9-46 for D standard on my Caparison and Fusion Jackson.

Typically what I'd do is use the Stringjoy tension calculator, plug in the 25.5" scale for D standard with those gauges you're currently using (AKA 9-46), THEN open up a duplicate tab and drop it down to A Standard, and plug in baritone string set gauges from different companies and see how much the tensions differ on which strings.

Spoiler alert: most baritone sets seem like some dude picking out of a hat, and you'll always have at least one, at most two, with an extra few lbs on that string; which for whatever reason, always seems to be either the D or G, and it sucks.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
This...

I'd start with the 11-58 set

... and this.

Everyone's gonna tell you something different

I use a 11 / 49 set for B standard on a six. It's kind of loose, but I like it that way.

I don't think I could tune the sixth string reliably to drop A though (much less all the strings to A standard), but with a 58 or 64 you'll probably be all right.

I use 9s for E and D standard, you'll have to try it by yourself but I think you'll get a similar feeling with either 11s or 12s. Most likely 12s. In your case the gauge of the 6th string is more relevant though.

')