String gauge for A standard 6 string

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
I've kept all my guitars in D standard for many years and always stuck with the same 2 sets of strings.
Today I'd like to use A standard (ADGFAD) on a 25.5 scale Jackson, I got a spare 7 string set of .11-.14-.18p-.28-.38-.48-.58 and an extra .64 just in case don't remember where or why I have that.
11 14 18 28 48 58 should I use this set?
I use Ernie Ball Hybrids 9-46 for D standard on my Caparison and Fusion Jackson.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've kept all my guitars in D standard for many years and always stuck with the same 2 sets of strings.
Today I'd like to use A standard (ADGFAD) on a 25.5 scale Jackson, I got a spare 7 string set of .11-.14-.18p-.28-.38-.48-.58 and an extra .64 just in case don't remember where or why I have that.
11 14 18 28 48 58 should I use this set?
I use Ernie Ball Hybrids 9-46 for D standard on my Caparison and Fusion Jackson.

Typically what I'd do is use the Stringjoy tension calculator, plug in the 25.5" scale for D standard with those gauges you're currently using (AKA 9-46), THEN open up a duplicate tab and drop it down to A Standard, and plug in baritone string set gauges from different companies and see how much the tensions differ on which strings.

Spoiler alert: most baritone sets seem like some dude picking out of a hat, and you'll always have at least one, at most two, with an extra few lbs on that string; which for whatever reason, always seems to be either the D or G, and it sucks.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
This...

I'd start with the 11-58 set

... and this.

Everyone's gonna tell you something different

I use a 11 / 49 set for B standard on a six. It's kind of loose, but I like it that way.

I don't think I could tune the sixth string reliably to drop A though (much less all the strings to A standard), but with a 58 or 64 you'll probably be all right.

I use 9s for E and D standard, you'll have to try it by yourself but I think you'll get a similar feeling with either 11s or 12s. Most likely 12s. In your case the gauge of the 6th string is more relevant though.

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I'll try that 11-58 set and see what I can do with it first. Front man for the band Obscura is using 10-56 7 string set so I think It'll be ok.
Another question, I got 3 springs in this specific Jackson with 9-42 string gauge, should I add 1or 2 more springs? I won't be using the trem at all for any dives or pull offs so stiffness is no issue.
Sorry for the newbie questions, been playing for more than 12 years now and have always kept my guitars with the same set up and strings. Last few years I've been using the pitch shifter to down tune in the Fractal's but hate the fake wobbly and lag effect it has.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I'll try that 11-58 set and see what I can do with it first. Front man for the band Obscura is using 10-56 7 string set so I think It'll be ok.
Another question, I got 3 springs in this specific Jackson with 9-42 string gauge, should I add 1or 2 more springs? I won't be using the trem at all for any dives or pull offs so stiffness is no issue.
Sorry for the newbie questions, been playing for more than 12 years now and have always kept my guitars with the same set up and strings. Last few years I've been using the pitch shifter to down tune in the Fractal's but hate the fake wobbly and lag effect it has.

I've changed string gauge and tuning in all my floating tremolo guitars over the years, but I never had to do that. You might need to adjust the springs tension to level the bridge, but I don't think you'll need to add or remove any springs.

')