String gauge for Drop A

• Thread starter VinnyShredz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VinnyShredz

Reaction score
Hey guys I had a question.

I was messing around with different string gauges for Drop A tuning.

I normal play a six string in Eb Standard with skinnny top heavy bottom ernie balls.

I was thinking of using a similar set:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...inny-top-heavy-bottom-electric-guitar-strings

But since my highest strings will actually be in a standard tuning do you think it will be a big difference? Should I lighten up my gauge, or do you guys think the difference will be unnoticable :scratch::spock:

I'm playing on a 25.5 scale Jackson with a floyd

What do you guys use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
It will be a relatively small difference - noticeable, maybe, but not huge by any means. You shouldn't experience any issues with using them.

Like most string sets these are far from ideal, but they'll work for you. You might notice the low A being a bit too slack but that's up to personal preference. Try them out first, for sure, and if you notice that some strings are too tight and some are too loose come back and people will give you a hand figuring out another set. It's trivial to order custom sets of Ernie Ball and D'addario (as well as a few other brands).

JeffKill

Reaction score
On my Ibanez 25.5" scale the Elixir skinny top, heavy bottom set, plus an Elixir .068 was perfect tension for me in drop A. Just depends on how much tension you like though.

Daunicornslayer

Reaction score
I just threw some "Not Even Slinky's" on an ibanez. Floating trem, 25.5" scale. The .56 is a little loose but its really not that bad.

wat

Reaction score
I use 10-46 plus a .068 for the low A.

I just order the .068 in bulk from juststrings.com

IMO .068 is perfect for a low A

Hertz32

Reaction score
I use a .080 for my low A on my Gibson scale Dean Soltero. I'd go for a .074 or .072 for the bottom but I like heavy ass strings :)

stevexc

Reaction score
For a specific string I like a .072, which puts me at just under 20 pounds of tension.

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
I get my strings on juststrings.com; and for Drop A, I buy the 10-48 dunlop heavy core set, and a generic 70 single string for the low A.. 70 seems perfect because it closely matches the tension of the 48 for the low E.

Try stringulator.com to find what tension matches what you want.

pedalcollector371

Reaction score
I used to put a 64 Ernie ball on mine and it played well. Slight slack though, and I was playing on a 26.5 scale...so I'd say somewhere around 68 maybe? But who knows, that 62 cobalt might be just fine. I'd say at least try it and see whether you like it or not :)

')