String gauge for Drop G on 30" guitar

• Thread starter Unrest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unrest

Reaction score
Just got my Schecter Hellraiser C-VI. Astonishing guitar, absolutley awesome definition on the low E. However, I've grown to like the sound of drop G alot, and now I'm thinking:

What would be a good string gauge for Drop G on this beast? I may tune to F sometimes aswell, but mainly G.

Thanks for any recommendations!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zado

Reaction score
what about a vid of the guitar? not many hellraiser cVI out there :D

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I would say at least a .56, but NOT bigger than .65, which i think would be too big.

In my experience something like a .60 would be nice and tight.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
67 from Circle K, 70 from other brands.
That would give conventional tight tension comparable to a 48 E string on 25.5. (20lbs)

I would probably buy this set from Circle K
.014 .020 .028 .039 .051 .067

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
62 D'addario would be about 16lbs. That wouldn't work for me, but the point of reference is there for you.

What string and scale length is on a current guitar you have? I'll tell you what to tune it to for 16lbs and you can decide if it's tight enough. My suggestion above was based on 19-20lbs.

Unrest

Reaction score
62 D'addario would be about 16lbs. That wouldn't work for me, but the point of reference is there for you.

What string and scale length is on a current guitar you have? I'll tell you what to tune it to for 16lbs and you can decide if it's tight enough. My suggestion above was based on 19-20lbs.

Not quite sure, but I know the low E is 0.95 and it's a little too floppy. The strings are not wound one or more times on the tuning pegs. They are just bent, what's up with that?(english is not my native language so I hope you understand what I mean)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
If you're certain it's a 95 then that's actually pretty tight at 24lbs.
That would imply that you like 54s in E on standard scale, is that right?
If that's the case, certainly don't go below the 67 I suggested for G!

Low winds on the tuners is actually pretty common. It increases the tuning stability as there is no string there to slip etc. I suggest giving just less than one wind on all strings - though the plains usually end up with a little more as they stretch more. You do this just by pulling them quite tight before tuning up.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Not quite sure, but I know the low E is 0.95 and it's a little too floppy. The strings are not wound one or more times on the tuning pegs. They are just bent, what's up with that?(english is not my native language so I hope you understand what I mean)

Aren't the tuners on the Hellraiser VI locking tuners? If so, you don't need to worry about winding them :)

Unrest

Reaction score
I guess I would like a 0.54. Never really played much in standard E.. 0.46 is not ideal in standard E for me, that much I know.

And yes it has locking tuners:)

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
For reference, I've used this gauge to tune to GDGCFA on my Baritone Telecaster (28.625" scale) and it felt pretty nice, but I like crazy tension:

14-20-28-39-51-79

Only thing I'd change is the D, 54 would feel better, but it was a good start

Unrest

Reaction score
For reference, I've used this gauge to tune to GDGCFA on my Baritone Telecaster (28.625" scale) and it felt pretty nice, but I like crazy tension:

14-20-28-39-51-79

Only thing I'd change is the D, 54 would feel better, but it was a good start

Feels like that would be too tight, I think I'll try something like 0.65 - 0.70 first and take it from there

')