String Gauge Help!

• Thread starter IAmRezek
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IAmRezek

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got my first 7 string: an Ibanez Iron Label SIR27FD! I've been playing 6 string guitars for 10 years, and out of every guitar I've ever owned this one is my favorite and here to stay!

So I need some advice on what string gauge to use for this 25.5 scale axe. I'm currently tuned to ADGCFAD (Korn tuning),and I'm using Dunlop Heavy Core 7 Strings 10-60. The issue I am having is most of the time my tone is muddy down low not so much floppy so I figured I needed to up the gauge. It could be the low output PAF 7s and me not knowing how to use them to the best of their ability any advice for a 7 string newbie?

Also I've been using this app called Jamup pro to record on my iPhone does anyone know of any killer patches or setting for a 7 string with Paf 7s? It seems every preset I download there is hardly any gain at all. Thanks guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMike04

Lefty cursed...
Reaction score
as for the gauges id go with 10-52 for the DGCFAD, i used a ernie ball set for the longest time when i tuned to that back in the day, and id say somthing like a 65/68 for the low A is pretty solid.

even if its not floppyness you're worried about a tighter tension will help a bit with a more defined tone.

IAmRezek

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys! I was thinking about going to 11-52. I like the 10-52 because I am more of a lead player,but I have noticed being tuned to DGCFAD tuning stability is not as great as It should be. Hopefully I can find a single .68 somewhere to try out. Its such a pain that string manufactures haven't caught on to the fact that 7 string players like to drop tune. having to pay $20 for a bass string set for one string is a little crazy. Will a .68 fit in the nut slot and tuning peg without adjustments? :hbang:

IAmRezek

Reaction score
Alright everyone, a buddy of mine was kind enough to give me a .66 & .70 gauge string to try out so I bought a 11-52 set from D'Addario. I'll report back once I get them on tonight and spend a little time with them. :shred:

Forror

Reaction score
You can get 3-packs of thick single guitar strings for pretty cheap from GC. They have the small ball ends too so they'll fit in your bridge. Somewhere around $3 or $4. For future reference! :]

IAmRezek

Reaction score
Ok so I put the 11-52 with the .66 for the A. I definitely like the results so far except the fact that the ball end was to big for the hole in the back lol. The clarity has improved a lot, and it just feels better to play. Still probably going to experiment a little more the jump from the .66 and .52 don't exactly feel natural. Maybe it's just something I need to get used to anyone have any thoughts?

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys! I was thinking about going to 11-52. I like the 10-52 because I am more of a lead player,but I have noticed being tuned to DGCFAD tuning stability is not as great as It should be. Hopefully I can find a single .68 somewhere to try out. Its such a pain that string manufactures haven't caught on to the fact that 7 string players like to drop tune. having to pay $20 for a bass string set for one string is a little crazy. Will a .68 fit in the nut slot and tuning peg without adjustments? :hbang:

I like to play lead as well.. But I find 10 to be too loose tuned down one whole step. 11 one step down has less tension than a 10 tuned to standard but more than a 9 tuned to standard. It's the perfect "in-between" in my opinion. I didn't have to file but it may be different for you!

lorguitarist

Legions Of Raum
Reaction score
D'addario makes a nice 11-56 set and you can buy single strings from Juststrings.com. It shouldn't be and issue for a tech to modify the machine head to fit the larger string gauge. There are also numerous string calculators online that would help you find the right string gauges for the tension you are looking for. Good luck bro.

')