String gauge issues- 8 string 28.6 inch scale

• Thread starter aawshred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aawshred

Reaction score
I've had my agile intrepid 828 for about a week or so now and i'm not sure what to do regarding my string gauges. the initial string gauges felt floppy so i upgraded to the following string gauges
10,13,17,30,42,54,64,80 (bass string)
these strings weren't floppy or buzzy, but mainly with the 80 i can't really "djent on it". it's to big of a string to get tight fast response. should i try a 74? is floppiness something i should just deal with?

meshuggah plays with 70s on their low string, so i'm thinking maybe it's a technique thing. should i work on my technique with a 74 or 72 gauge for it to be tighter? give me your input please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MGasparotto

Breaker of G strings
Reaction score
I got a 74 up top right now, Meshuggah uses 30 scales though. 74 works great on a 28.6. It will have a little bit of slack to it but I got used to it in like a day. Sounds like you would want something between 74-78 for perfection though

Dayn

Reaction score
I assume you're playing a half-step down... From what I remember, Fredrik uses a .072 at 30"~ for a low F. An .080 at 27"~ has roughly the same tension.

You can definitely try a .074. I would use that for F at that scale length. It really depends on how tight 'tight' is to you.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
First of all,try a GUITAR string as your 80.Try d'addario's , or elixir bass strings (elixir bass strings at least up to 80 have similar construction with a guitar string except for the ball end )

MGasparotto

Breaker of G strings
Reaction score
First of all,try a GUITAR string as your 80.Try d'addario's , or elixir bass strings (elixir bass strings at least up to 80 have similar construction with a guitar string except for the ball end )

What's the difference between a bass string and a guitar string of the same gauge?

Dayn

Reaction score
What's the difference between a bass string and a guitar string of the same gauge?
Usually, bass strings have a thicker core. I think it enhances the fundamental compared to a guitar string's thinner core, so there are less harmonics.

Of course some bass strings, as noted, are built like guitar strings. I can't speak from experience though, as I know .080 guitar strings sound much better to me than .080 bass strings. The guitar strings are also easier to bend and crush into my locking saddles.

Perplexed-Perception

Reaction score
you will probly find djenting on the 8 string very muddy sounding even in the metalkult series lesson marten said the once you start getting down in that range it starts get very muddy even though they use 30 and a half i still find it find to be true for the 28.625 but in saying that its not impossible i found on my 28.625 that using lighter gauges helps i use 8-38 for the 6 strings then a 52 for the seventh then for the eighth i use a 74 which works for F and E type tunings.also having good pickup/pickups helps i have bareknuckle aftermath in my single pickup agile intrepid 828 and when people say bareknuckle produce djent there is no argument from me.:yesway:

geeman8

Reaction score
If you're looking for a 76, juststrings.com has a 76 in GHS. It's their GHS Compound Nickel string. You can order it under single guitar strings. It's not quite as bright as something like their Boomers or D'Addario XLs, but it's not bad at all.

aawshred

Reaction score
I'm gonna definitely go with aftermaths soon. i think after i experiment with a guitar 80 and then the ernie ball set. i'm just gonna experiment a lot.

Dayn

Reaction score
That's really the best way to do it. Nearly two years and I'm still experimenting with my string sets! Have fun. ;)

')