String gauge on 25.5 - 27 extended range tuned to drop F#?

PandaGG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
(first off sorry if these kinds of questions get spammed here too often)

I just ordered the Ibanez RGD71ALMS which is 25.5 to 27" and I can't for the life of me find a pack of strings that would make sense for this setup and my desired tuning of drop F#. I found what I thought was a good pack of strings (Ernie Ball 2625 - 10-74) that I could continually order for this but using a string tension calculator the tension seems to be way too high on 4 5 and 6 (or too low on 1 2 3?). I guess the best way to find out which pack of strings to use would be to just try a few out but the disparity between the wound/plain strings just doesn't sit right with me. Of course I want my plain (high) strings to be at a lower tension but I feel like that is too low. I also tried to use the calculator with a set of D'Addario 7s (NYXL1164) where the first 6 strings go 11-49 and the numbers look good but those don't come with the 74 obviously.

Can anyone give advice or let me know which strings you guys are using for your setups?

Thanks in advance

Here are the two setups I was considering, let me know what you guys think about these numbers
This one is using Ernie Ball 10-74 8 string set.
upload_2021-4-25_23-52-47.png

This one seems more reasonable but it's just a 10-49 (the string tension calculator didn't allow me to input 49 so I put 50) and I'd have to buy a separate 74 every time which seems expensive.
upload_2021-4-25_23-46-15.png

Btw if I were to go with option 2 where could I get my hands on a single 74 (assuing that's the string I should be going for)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PandaGG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use like an 11-70.. there's an nyxl set that's exactly like that.

eh it's close enough

I don't understand the jump from 18 to 36... that's nearly double the tension if I apply it to my scale length and tuning.

Amenthea

Reaction score
I just do what the guy from VOLA does (they are in F#) on my ER, and buy an 8 string pack of .74 or .80 and just use the bottom 7. I had loads of trouble finding the right pack of 7's and there were more 8 packs available.

Blackspell-666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here are the two setups I was considering, let me know what you guys think about these numbers
This one is using Ernie Ball 10-74 8 string set.
View attachment 92771
I have the same guitar and currently use this 8 string set from Elixir and took off the 6th string (10-54) + 74 on the 7th string for drop f tuning. Tension on the 7,6,5,4 string seems fine for my taste but on the 1,2,3 string feels a little flobby.

Jackillin

In ignorant love with ERG
Reaction score
I use at least an .80 on my 27" side otherwise I feel it's a bit soft. Sometimes I'll switch it to an .85 if I'm going to pracitse in a lot of drop E tunings.

')