String gauge suggestion for my 7 (Drop G#/Ab)

giwrgos02

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have recently bought an ESP LTD H-1007 and I want to tune it in Drop G#. It has 25,5'' scale and I want to play mostly progressive stuff like Periphery.

I would be glad if you could suggest some string gauges, since google results' were so chaotic.

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
There's a huge post in the Beginners/FAQ section with information on string gauges for almost every tuning.

Using a site like stringtensionpro.com or stringulator.com will help you find the various tension levels as well.

What set of strings do you normally use on what scale length in what tuning?

giwrgos02

Reaction score
Lately, I play mostly in drop C, with 11-56, on 25,5'' scale 6 string, but I'm gonna change the 56 with 59 because I think 56 is kinda loose in C.

stevexc

Reaction score
Here's what you're playing now, with the inclusion of the .059:

e1839fc004.png

Here's one option that's pretty close to the same tensions:

5556455af3.png

D'addario makes this set which you could use as well:

a4ea8927a8.png

It'd be a little heavier, and you'd have a spare .064 string, but it's a stock set and should be relatively easy to get.

Credit to http://www.stringulator.com/ for the calculator.

giwrgos02

Reaction score
How did you find the 7 string sets that are close to tension with the 6 string set. I was trying to find similar tensions as well, but with the 56 string on C, that I am currently using.

stevexc

Reaction score
The first 7-string set you'd have to buy singles for. JustStrings and GuitarStringsOnline have good prices. The second one you can buy as a stock set, anywhere that carries D'addario should be able to get them.

RoyceIsNotMyName

Reaction score
For the record, I found a video in which Misha and Jake said that they play in drop G# with a custom set of D'addario 11-68's

JeffKill

Reaction score
On my 25.5" Ibanez I use a 11-73 set from Circle K Strings. Works good for both drop G and G#.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
You don't have to go with completely "balanced tension". It is entirely personal preference. Lately on my 25.5" guitars I have been using a 10-46 set with a 66 or 68 on the 7th.

Fwiw, last I heard periphery use the d'addario 11-52 set with a single 60something on the 7th string. So not really a "custom" set and not perfectly "balanced"

stevexc

Reaction score
You don't have to go with completely "balanced tension".

+1 to that. "Balanced tension" is a great concept for bass - each string is supposed to sound and feel more-or-less the same. It really doesn't work very well for guitar, though - you rarely want your treble strings to feel the same as your bass strings.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Balanced tension is more of a "thing" for wound strings since plain strings have a higher perceived tension. 16 lbs on a plain string feels closer to ~19 lbs on a wound string. I like having 14-15 lbs of tension on my plain strings and 17-20 lbs on wound strings, with my lowest two strings having tension on the lower side of that range.

I use this site to map out what gauges/tunings work for what tension: Hikky Z's String Assembler

And this site for custom sets (great prices, too): D'Addario XL Nickel Wound Guitar Singles & Build your own String Set!

xtreme1

Reaction score
Lol'd cuz I found this thread using my google analytics on stringulator. Thanks for using the site guys.

')