String gauge, too thick?

• Thread starter Kinzoku
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rain85

Reaction score
13s!!!! i guess you gave a new meaning to the phrase "i like my strings heavy" lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Damn you guys, you make it sound like its the end of the world! I learned to play guitar on an acoustic strung with 13's. though my mind was blown when I bought an electric and it came with 10's.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
^ don't forget your acoustic was probably 2" shorter than his 26.5" electric ^^ but still, 13's on an acoustic is the real way to start !

Shask

Reaction score
Damn... I use 10-46-59 on my Schecter Hellrasier tuned in A :)

I would probably use 10-46-64 if I always played in Drop A.

The strings you mention SCREAM Carpel Tunnel and Tendonitis later in life...

mulgreaux

Daemoness Guitars
Reaction score
The strings you mention SCREAM Carpel Tunnel and Tendonitis later in life...

IS this necessarily true? As previously mentioned, it's normal for bass players deal with that level of tension, and they're not all complaining about CTS.

Shask

Reaction score
IS this necessarily true? As previously mentioned, it's normal for bass players deal with that level of tension, and they're not all complaining about CTS.

Bass players NORMALLY don't stretch as far, play chords, or bend as much.

mulgreaux

Daemoness Guitars
Reaction score
Plenty of bass players go nuts technically, like the dudes in Beyond Creation and Dying Fetus. I just wanted to know if that comment was based on experience/evidence, or whether you were scaremongering.

I play a baritone 6 in Bb standard. I use 74-54-39-26w-19p-14p on 27" scale and it doesn't feel insane to me. I like heavy strings, but I didn't think this was particularly out of the ordinary or that I was putting myself at risk.

Shask

Reaction score
Usually bass players that go crazier technically use very light bass strings.

It is one of those things that is hard to predict because everyone is different. It could happen, it may never happen. It is like avoiding cheseburgers because you are afraid of a heart attack. It could happen, it may not happen, but statistics show the probability increases.

I have had a lot of wrist issues through the years, so it is something I think about a lot. I have used heavier strings in the past, I have used flatter necks, tremelos, etc... SO many variables. I am just saying it is a possibility and to think about the potential risks...

mulgreaux

Daemoness Guitars
Reaction score
Had me worried for a moment. It doesn't feel weird or particularly strenuous at the moment. I won't pay it too much attention until my hand turns to stone.

rain85

Reaction score
Damn you guys, you make it sound like its the end of the world! I learned to play guitar on an acoustic strung with 13's. though my mind was blown when I bought an electric and it came with 10's.

You must be built like an oak to make whole tone bends on those slabs of steel! :cool:

')