String Gauges

• Thread starter Goliath
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which String Gauge Do You Use?

• .009's

Votes: 86 32.2%
  • .010's

Votes: 117 43.8%
  • .011's

Votes: 41 15.4%
  • None of These

Votes: 23 8.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maskofduality

Brandeis Sophomore
Reaction score
i experimented with 9s and 10s and after not feeling that much of a difference it was just cheaper (for me anyway) to stick with 9s. the store i go to only has strings from 9 sets available anyway. if i ask for anything from a typical 10 set they tell me they don't have it -_-

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I noticed that here they've got a 'baritone' EB set that's 13-72, any of you guys ever used that and added a high string on to it? seems perfect for you super-thick string guys.

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
I use 10's in standard, 11's in D and I use 12's with Db standard.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Lately, I've been using a Musician's Friend set of 10's with a Ernie Ball 60 for the low Bb. Costs about 3 dollars per set, which means I can keep things fresh and crisp.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried more unusual gauge strings, like 9.5s or 8.5s? D'Addario and GHS both do them.
Here's what I was thinking would suit me nicely on my seven (bear in mind it's tuned down a half-step):

E-9.5
B-11.5
G-17
D-26
A-36
E-46
B-58

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:
Has anyone ever tried more unusual gauge strings, like 9.5s or 8.5s? D'Addario and GHS both do them.
Here's what I was thinking would suit me nicely on my seven (bear in mind it's tuned down a half-step):

E-9.5
B-11.5
G-17
D-26
A-36
E-46
B-58
The guy I was talking to the other day at Alpha uses a 10-52 set and then swaps the 10 for an 8.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:

E-9.5
B-11.5
G-17
D-26
A-36
E-46
B-58

Ah, have I posted here yet...I use an OPTIMUM string gauge, which is
8.5-11.5-15-22-30-44-59
and they are D'Addarios!

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
10's in standard tuning on both strat and ibanez. Much better sound than 9's

If I downtuned I'd use 11's.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
WayneCustom7 said:
Ah, have I posted here yet...I use an OPTIMUM string gauge, which is
8.5-11.5-15-22-30-44-59
and they are D'Addarios!

And since i've posted, i also use an 'optimum' set of my own design, which is

10 - 14 - 19 - 26 - 36 - 50 - 68

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I've just switched up to a "custom" set that I order from Just Strings: 10-13-17-26-36-48-60. I like it so far, but the low B still feels a little floppy.

Are you guys finding that stepping up to something larger (like the 68, Ken) is killing your attack or making things too bass heavy? The situation I'm in requires a bright guitar tone.

cadenhead

Get Some!
Reaction score
noodles said:
I've just switched up to a "custom" set that I order from Just Strings: 10-13-17-26-36-48-60. I like it so far, but the low B still feels a little floppy.

Are you guys finding that stepping up to something larger (like the 68, Ken) is killing your attack or making things too bass heavy? The situation I'm in requires a bright guitar tone.

My last bass player wasn't that good, so the more low end I had helped. I also like a lot of tension on the strings. It was a win, win situation for me at the time, and I just stayed with it.

I find that useing a brass pick clears up some of the mud (you have to change strings more often, but fore me, it's worth it).

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hmmm...tempting to experiment with some new gauges now, although I don't have much cash to spare, so I'll have to stick with all the strings I've got lying around for now...
I tried a metal pick before, but gave up with it as it sounded far too brittle for me.

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
i've been playing 11's since i've played electric. lighter guages just don't feel right. Now that I've got a real nice instrument i'm gonna experiment with some different strings though.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:

The set i've got is actually very nice. I designed it so each string increases by about a pound of tension per string (the 10 is about 14 Lbs, the 14 is about 15 lbs, the 19 is about 16.5 lbs, etc). My low A(its on a 1077, so its on a baritone keep in mind) Feels about as taut as a low E string from a pack of tens, and has plenty of snap and is very tight sounding. It doesnt kill my attack any, at all (With this setup, moving from string to string is actually somewhat easier for whatever reason). I love this string setup and will continue to use it on this guitar. i HIGHLY suggest trying something similar out, and if you want, i could calculate the strings you'd need. using a 68 made my 7th string everything it should be, and leaves nothing to be desired. (its not too 'floppy' or too 'big' or anything, or too bassy. It feels very natural)

koma

Reaction score
I'm also into Ernie Ball light top heavy bottom(.10-.52) + a ghs .60B

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
The set i've got is actually very nice. I designed it so each string increases by about a pound of tension per string (the 10 is about 14 Lbs, the 14 is about 15 lbs, the 19 is about 16.5 lbs, etc). My low A(its on a 1077, so its on a baritone keep in mind) Feels about as taut as a low E string from a pack of tens, and has plenty of snap and is very tight sounding. It doesnt kill my attack any, at all (With this setup, moving from string to string is actually somewhat easier for whatever reason). I love this string setup and will continue to use it on this guitar. i HIGHLY suggest trying something similar out, and if you want, i could calculate the strings you'd need. using a 68 made my 7th string everything it should be, and leaves nothing to be desired. (its not too 'floppy' or too 'big' or anything, or too bassy. It feels very natural)
It's called Optimum String Tension/Gauge and Metalken is right on with this. Since I have changed I notice an increase in not only playability, but my chord tone is fucking awesome, the note separation is brilliant, no gouping or overlapping of tones

')