String Guage (C standard tuning)

• Thread starter xtoller
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
These. Matt Pike uses them for this exact tuning.

ernie1256.jpg

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
10-52 won't work for C standard tuning. especially the .17 gauge on the 3rd string will have way too little tension and may sound awkward

i'd go AT LEAST with a .11 or .12 set (or higher if you like tight strings)

This, this, this and this.

Also, You'll most likely have tuning problems on a hard-tailed guitar with 10's in C. Unless you have Locking tuners, You're going to be in 'flopsville' and the soundtrack is a broken record :lol: ie. out of tune every 30 seconds

CrushingAnvil

Reaction score
I have 11-52s on a 24.75" scale guitar tuned to C# standard and I like it, so it's probably what I'd use on a 25.5" scale tuned to C.

That might be light for you since I usually put 9-42s on 25.5" and 9.5-44s on 24.75" guitars for standard tuning.

I haven't tried them yet, but I just got a pack of D'Addario EXL148 (12-60) that I'm hoping I'll like for B standard (24.75"). They're the ones that say "For Drop C Tuning" on the front of the package, so those might be okay for you.

Here's the tension info from the back of the package.

.012 - 14.69 pounds
.016 - 14.66
.020 - 14.44
.034 - 21.12
.046 - 20.99
.060 - 20.46

Those specs are based on a 25.5" scale tuned to C F A# D# G C.

11-52 in C# on a 24.75" scale guitar is like using 14-62 (slight exaggeration, probably) for C standard on a 25.5" scale guitar, from personal experiences. On shorter scale guitars you're free to use smaller strings you usually wouldn't use for the tuning in question. ie if I got myself a Gibson Flying V in vintage white :)yum:) I'd use 10-46 for D standard or 8-42 for Eb. Maybe it's just me. Maybe this is off-topic. Maybe. :lol:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
11-52 in C# on a 24.75" scale guitar is like using 14-62 (slight exaggeration, probably) for C standard on a 25.5" scale guitar, from personal experiences. On shorter scale guitars you're free to use smaller strings you usually wouldn't use for the tuning in question. ie if I got myself a Gibson Flying V in vintage white :)yum:) I'd use 10-46 for D standard or 8-42 for Eb. Maybe it's just me. Maybe this is off-topic. Maybe. :lol:

What?

The shorter the scale, the lower the tension. So 10-52 in C# on a 24.75" would be like 10-52 in C standard on a 25.5" scale. The 25.5" scale guitar has more tension, not less.

MJS

Reaction score

That's backwards -- but even reversed, the tension difference between the two scale lengths isn't as drastic as the jump from 11s to 14s.

In regular E standard tuning, 9s on a 25.5" inch scale will be closer to 9.5s or even 10s on a 24.75" inch scale (I use the 9.5s).

I believe Yngwie uses 8-46 on a 25.5" scale @ Eb, but that seems like it would be really loose on the shorter scale--unless that's how you like it.

What?

The shorter the scale, the lower the tension. So 10-52 in C# on a 24.75" would be like 10-52 in C standard on a 25.5" scale. The 25.5" scale guitar has more tension, not less.

:yesway:

I never did a side-by-side comparison with the two scale lengths, same string gauge on both, then try to match the tension by tuning down the 25.5"... but about a 1/2 step would seem about right to me.

I don't like floppy or super-tight strings, so I just guessed when I got the 11-52s for C# (24.75").

I did tune it up to Eb with them on there and that was much tighter than I like it. Drop C was okay, though.

CrushingAnvil

Reaction score
What?

I realize this is the general consensus (and is a fact) but that's just how I approach things, it's how I interpret playing on one scale guitar then switch to another, 'regular' scale guitars just feel looser. I'm not trying to change the facts, but possibly other people might be like me in this respect.

I think OP has got an idea of his string guage now :lol:

irolis

Reaction score
13-56 is what most C'ers that I know use,but spend some $20 or so on experimenting:)

I even think 11-52 is too sloppy for standard(especially low E),and these have a high 'they're going to snap right in your face before you get in tune!' so I would just go baritone for anything under D but that's a whole differen type of investment!:)

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
I use D'Addario 10-52 for C standard and I've never had a problem but I also don't like my string tension to be too tight nor too loose so it's like good medium tension and is comfortable to me, but really it's all subjective to personal preference so I'd say to just experiment around until you find something you like.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Try swapping out your low string for something bigger, like a 58 or 60.

I personally like a 65 for C though, but I'm a bit of a freak that way.

Selkies

BTBAM!?
Reaction score
Honestly it's gonna come down to what feels best. I use a set of beefy slinkys (11 to 54 in drop Bb and it hold well, I've always liked a little loose feeling and my playing style has adapted. It's all personal preference. Would I use 12s if I could? Absolutely. But I was lucky enough to grab a Ibanez RGA121 prototype from the hoshino USA factory up the street cause I know employees. That Gibraltar bridge is a struggle to get a 54 in without filing it at all.

abstract

Reaction score
What makes Ernie Balls better in lower tunings?

I think the tension of an EB string of the same gauge of a D'Addario in the same tuning is higher. EBs are supposedly the tensest strings on the spectrum, and D'Addarios are all the way at the other end. I didn't believe it'd make much difference, but I wanted to try something new when I bought my first set. It was actually very noticeable....whatever it is.

Latest posts

')