String guage tips for tuning B-B on a 25.5 six string?

• Thread starter Upgrayedd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Upgrayedd

Reaction score
I know this sounds noobish but I've never tried it before. I have a LTD Snakebyte that I haven't been using much and I'd like to see how it works in B standard/Drop A. It's a 25.5 scale length. Ideally I'd like something mixed with a light to medium top. I saw D'addario has a 10-52, do you guys think that would be enough on the low end?

Any tips appreciated, thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drgamble

Reaction score
In my experience 10s are too small. I would start with at least 12s with at least a 56 on top. Check out some of the 7 string sets and pay no attention to the high E string to get an idea. 10-59 7 string set works well for b standard tuning, but you might want something a little bigger if you plan on drop a. A 59 will work, but it is a little to loose at a.

guitarfreak1387

squirrel chaser
Reaction score
that's what i used to do. just buy a seven string set and ditch the high e. That will at least give you a base to start with. from there you can play and see what you like and don't like with the set and adjust the gauges to your liking with a custom set.

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score

Upgrayedd

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the responses, I didn't think I would get them that quick. That's why I like this board, everyone is helping each other. I will check for all of these tomorrow when I get some more strings. Thanks again!

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
D'Addario makes a baritone light set for 6 strings that's 13-62 and meant for B-b standard.

If that's too heavy for your taste, they also have a 12-60 set, which I use for drop B.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I'm using EB Not Even Slinky sets, 12 - 56. They're a tad loose for me but definitely usable, they work better C - C though.

I use 10 -46 + 59 on 25.5 7 string so the difference is minimal.

Upgrayedd

Reaction score
I grabbed a 7 string set (58-11) and eliminated the top string as suggested. So far for B standard its working well. I might go a bit bigger if I decide to really play in drop A. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
I think the only one who used 52's for low B is Steve Vai. For about 6 notes on 3 songs on Passion & Warfare.

That B with a 62 on a 24.75" scale is going to sound awesome. A 60 will also do.

MrPowers

Reaction score
I have a 12-60 set on a Les Paul in Drop A. The 60 isn't anywhere near heavy enough for me. If I could, I would use a 70. I'm not a high tension junkie, but its just too floppy. It might work out for you, but I suspect a 62-66 would be better.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I think the only one who used 52's for low B is Steve Vai. For about 6 notes on 3 songs on Passion & Warfare.

That B with a 62 on a 24.75" scale is going to sound awesome. A 60 will also do.

Caparison guitars come with a 52 for B which makes me wonder if thats what Soilwork and other bands playing them in B use. I tried one of their 7 string guitars with a 52 for the low B. When I picked it with a moderate attack it went C, C sharp, C and back to B. I've no idea how you would track guitars in a studio with noodle strings like that.

Reaction score
man i keep forgetting that im one of the few here who like loose strings, i use 11-54s for drop B, drop Bb and C standard and i find that the .054 sounds great in each tuning, if i were to use B-B id probably go with 13-54.

Mr-Jemhead93

I think I'm profound
Reaction score
In my experience 10s are too small. I would start with at least 12s with at least a 56 on top. Check out some of the 7 string sets and pay no attention to the high E string to get an idea. 10-59 7 string set works well for b standard tuning, but you might want something a little bigger if you plan on drop a. A 59 will work, but it is a little to loose at a.

+1 on this it's what I used to use for B standard I still use these but I play in drop Bb now

')