String guage, tuning stability, intonation and playability - advice sought!

• Thread starter Vorax
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vorax

Reaction score
I’m about to start some serious recording and need to maximise the tuning stability and intonation accuracy of my RG1527, whilst also maximising tone and playability.

I use a drop A tuning with the following string gauges: .60, .48, .36, .24,.16, .11, .9.

I’m finding the .60 on the low A a bit slack, and it’s also giving me tuning issues, i.e. it goes pretty sharp on the initial attack, obviously due to inadequate tension. This makes accurate tuning and checking of intonation difficult.

The slackness also makes fast palm muted alternate picking less accurate than on the other, tighter, strings.

So I need to go to a thicker gauge. So my question: What gauge do people recommend? My concern is that too thick will makes the transition between low A and low E tricky during fast alternate picking due to a large difference in string thickness – though I’ve never tried, so this may not be an issue – what are people’s experiences?

I’m sure I’ve heard guitar techs speak of a formula for calculating string guage according to tuning – does anyone know anymore about this?

Also, will a much thicker string require a higher action to reduce fret buzz, or less due to the more restricted amplitude of vibration due to the increased tension?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Violence

Reaction score
I'm getting a .64, a .66 and a .68 to try tomorrow so I will let you know what I think. I use an Ernie ball beefy set on the 6 higher strings because I tune down a bit, but I'll try to let you know what my findings are.

mtillem

Reaction score
I've never tried this but you might want to try buying a set of 7-strings and just using the lowest 6 strings since the low string is a B and I drop it to an A quite often without tension problems.

Distortion

EET FUK
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem on my B and F# .. They go sharp on the initial attack then flat and finally the string reaches correct pitch after a a second or two... I've got an 0.080 for my F# and an 0.059 for B (both around 16lbs of tension)...

Reaction score
Im currently using .70, .52, .38, .28, .18w, .14, .10 for A# standard, and i find its well balanced for that. Ive also used the same set for B standard, so it could be worth a shot in drop A, but then id probly use a .74 for the low B string.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I'm using the same tuning with a RG7321. I'm using a 66 for the low A. In my opinion is the perfect match for the 10-46 set I am using, feels looks and sounds right.
However while it's nice and tight, I can't seem to get nice intonation. It does the job though I guess, but I'd definately go for a longer scale length in the future.
Yes there is a formula for calculating tension. I did know it but can't remember now...I just use this instead http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/ , as do a lot of people.
I'm guessing it works off of the same formula. However for using this formula you need the 'unit weight' of the strings which usually isn't easy to find.

Vorax

Reaction score
Cheers for the input everyone. Tried a few diff online string guage calculators, all with wildly different anwers all of which are obviously too thin. Will try a 66 first, then a 70 if that's no good, etc.

')