String guages for a G# based tuning

lunaris

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I've joined a band recently that play in C#-F#-B-E-G#-C#. I own a Loomis FR so up until now I've been transposing everything, which has worked fine. However, ideally I'd like to avoid some of the more ridiculous string skips and stretches :)

Consequently, I'm looking to match up my tuning (or at least some of the open strings). I see two options:

1. Tune the whole guitar up a tone to C#-F#-B-E-A-C#-F#

2. Tune the whole guitar down a tone and a half to G#-C#-F#-B-E-G#-C#

Of the two, 1 seems easier, but I have concerns about the high E moving to F#. If it makes it, can I expect it to hold its tune? Currently its strung with a 0.010. Other than this, should everything else be alright (truss rod, etc, bearing in mind it's a 26.5" scale).

However, the question I'm really interested in is regarding option 2. Is it feasible on a Loomis? I know it's not a massive scale so I'm wondering how muddy it'd be (if it'd even hold tune). Would I need to use a bass string or similar?

Any opinions welcome, thanks for the help :mf666:

lunaris

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Echo

Reaction score
On my six string i tune to C standard and I use 11-54 guage strings on a 25.5 scale neck and the strings are fairly tight. I would say that something around a 68-70 would be good for the G#.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
1. You'll be fine on a 26.5 scale guitar. You will need to step down gauges. D'addario sell down to .007s I think. I'd take a guess at a .007 or .008 set.

2. Once again you'll be fine on a 26.5 scale guitar. In my opinion it's not ideal (bare in mind that I'd prefer a 27" for B standard) but there's plenty of people tuning down to G# on 25.5s. I tune down to A with a .066 and it's fine. I'd try the same gauge. No need for bass strings.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I tune to C# standard on my 6 and plan to tune up a whole step when I get an 8 to basically do the same. A .008 will have 14.1 lbs of tension at 26.5" so it should work out dandy, you could go to a .007 but it might be a bit loose I'd say try both see what you like.

You could also do G# without too much of a problem. It is a bit more preferable to have a longer scale for the extreme lows but some guys (tosin abasi for instance) tune their 8 strings with 27" scales to drop E1 without an issue so you should be able to get to G# on a 26.5 just fine. It really depends how you use the string I suppose.

I actually had my 25.5" in F# at one point and it worked out. It wasn't exactly preferable but it worked. I would try the high string personally as it'll be a bit easier to work with for leads etc vs trying to add a low string. When I was planning on going 7 I was gonna tune up a whole step as well for the same reason.

dnoel86

Reaction score
I use a .70 on a 25.5 inch scale for a G# and it's solid. It's a bass string, but I know you can get guitar strings in .70.

lunaris

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses. Well, I went to my local shop and their string selection wasn't as good as I'd hoped. In the end I got a set of "Baritone 6" (which a .72 on the bottom) with an extra high string and a normal 7 string set of 9s. Alas, the .72 wouldn't thread through the machine head (*sigh* what a noob!) so I'll have to order some sets of 70/65 online to see if that works out.

Consequently I'm tuned up half a step to C#-F#-B-E-A-C#-F#. It's undeniably nice -- the high F# has this (probably novel) elegance to it that makes for some nice chords and ringing top ends. However, I'm not sure I like having that tension -- even fiddling with the springs to setup the guitar as nicely as I could it's still giving the bridge a fair old tug. I could look for some lighter guage strings but I'll perhaps try the G# tuning to put my mind at ease :)

As always, probably being a complete noob here but I'll endeavour to let you know how it pans out.

Thanks again,
lunaris

')