String height?

Metal671

Reaction score
What string height is good for an original floyd bridge?
I'm trying to get my neck straight with a little bow, but I keep getting fret buzz. It's stressing me out :mad: :wallbash: :noplease:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
When I see videos of guys like Richie Kotzen, I can totally hear fret buzz (by my standards) on the 6 string. So the key is for your style, what is "too much".

About 1.5mm 6th and about 1.2mm 1st seems to be about right for me. Neck, pretty straight.

Metal671

Reaction score
When my neck is pretty straight, my 6th measures at 1.8 and my 1st at 1.5 at the twelfth fret and I still hear buzz. When I raise up my bridge and try to get it at 2 mm on my 6th and 1st (my personal preference) I get less buzz, but when I play the 20-24 frets it gets too high. It's about 3.1 mm on the 24th.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmmm. That's a bit higher. Well, I get some buzz at the mentioned height, but amplified it's not super noticeable.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Whether it's a Floyd or a hardtail is irrelevant. I'd stop moving the bridge up and down and start with a fresh setup. I won't go through it in detail here, cuz there are oodles of step-by-steps online. But basically you need to check the nut height, check the neck straightness, then adjust the bridge, and make sure you don't need to shim/unshim the neck pocket. I have my Floyds at 1.0mm at the 12th for the high E, so there's no reason you can't get there.

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
When my neck is pretty straight, my 6th measures at 1.8 and my 1st at 1.5 at the twelfth fret and I still hear buzz. When I raise up my bridge and try to get it at 2 mm on my 6th and 1st (my personal preference) I get less buzz, but when I play the 20-24 frets it gets too high. It's about 3.1 mm on the 24th.

When I see videos of guys like Richie Kotzen, I can totally hear fret buzz (by my standards) on the 6 string. So the key is for your style, what is "too much".

About 1.5mm 6th and about 1.2mm 1st seems to be about right for me. Neck, pretty straight.

Are you guys measuring from 12th fret? I'd have thought thats a bit high? Thats the sort of measurements I get on my bass... on guitar I dont think It would be over 1mm :scratch:

Suitable

Reaction score
I've found off the 24th fret 2mm of the low E and 1.5mm off the high e with a dead straight neck. ~0.8mm off the first fret with a ~ 5 step pull up on the trem works well with 9-42's on a 25.5" scale. You could run that with 10-46's also. What axe? Scale length etc? How old? You may need fret work done as well as a nut shimm? Also what tunings? Acoustic buzz or amplified? Clean or dirty? There are a lot of variables that influence buzz. It may be worth getting a luthier to do a fret level and dress thenn a propper setup. Keep in mind if you want to go lower than the above you may start fretting out on big pulls. More info would be great!

Latest posts

')