String noise?

• Thread starter Akos89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Akos89

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just want the get some advice, how to get rid of the string noise from my guitar?

I mean, even if a jam along a song with distortion, I still hear a metallic noise often, like when you put new strings on your guitar, which is not true now.

It's not fret buzz, It's like I'm not useing enough distrotion, which is not true.
Also I hear the noise as I slide my fingers on the fretboard.

Maybe it's the pickup height? Or I pick to hard?

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
It's not fret buzz, It's like I'm not useing enough distrotion, which is not true.

When you say that it is not fret buzz, do you mean that you already checked the neck for relief/tightening, the frets' overall level etc. or only one of these?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Akos89

Reaction score
When you say that it is not fret buzz, do you mean that you already checked the neck for relief/tightening, the frets' overall level etc. or only one of these?

Well I didn't checked.
I think it's not fret buzz because I don't hear that the strings hit the frets when I play it unpluged.

BIGRIGG

Reaction score
You need to isolate the sound. Find the source of the noise. Is it strings on frets, which frets....is it your bridge, springs in tremolo etc. Is it finger squeak across strings? Then we could help fix the noise.

PBC

Prototyper
Contributor
Reaction score
Although you may be able to get rid of it via cranked noise gates, my personal take is to leave it in. Sounds much more human and live "feeling" to hear. E.g. you can hear it in the intro for At the Left Hand ov God by Behemoth and a few others.

If you are using stainless steel strings like Pro Steels, you'll hear it often due to the core material and inherent sound those types of strings produce. Conversely, its neigh impossible to get sliding string noise on flat wounds although you'll lose many of the guitar overtone richness that's apart of the distorted. Still possible, flats are amazing but not the best choice for that type of music.

It also has partially to do with technique. When you release pressure from a chord? Do you slightly hover to get to the next position or ride the slack strings till you get to where you need to go? The former is very difficult habit to implement since it goes against the natural response in my opinion.

FrznTek

Reaction score
Could be the strings ringing behind the nut. Try tying a sock or something around the strings/neck behind the nut to mute the strings and see if that is the problem. Fairly common on guitars with a reverse 6+ in line head stock. On both of my Ormsby's I have a small piece of foam under the strings just behind the nut to get rid of this.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
Could be the strings ringing behind the nut. Try tying a sock or something around the strings/neck behind the nut to mute the strings and see if that is the problem. Fairly common on guitars with a reverse 6+ in line head stock. On both of my Ormsby's I have a small piece of foam under the strings just behind the nut to get rid of this.

Tying a sock? I agree with the concept of muting the strings behind the nut with a cloth or foam (if they are the cause of the issue) but the sock will definitely draw comments if he goes live with it. Then again Buckethead had a bucket as a signature, the OP can be known as Sockhead(stock).:lol:

FrznTek

Reaction score
Tying a sock? I agree with the concept of muting the strings behind the nut with a cloth or foam (if they are the cause of the issue) but the sock will definitely draw comments if he goes live with it. Then again Buckethead had a bucket as a signature, the OP can be known as Sockhead(stock).:lol:
LOL, for testing, not long term.

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
As said by frzntek try muting the strings behind the nut with a sweatband, bandana, hair tie, or some black foam. Also if you have a tuneomatic bridge, put something after the bridge. Also just remembered you can use duct tape as well. Misha from periphery does it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It sounds like you're describing the scraping noise as your fingers slide along the strings, from position to position on the neck...?

If so, that's a matter of technique, though using a little less gain and not quite so much high end can make it a little less pronounced, so if you're using a metric fuckton of distortion, that could be a factor too.

But mostly it's just technique. If your fingers are dragging acoss the strings while you're playing and making audible noise, then practice not doing that, practice muting strings you're not trying to play, or both.