String recommendation

• Thread starter MondoERG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MondoERG

Reaction score
Snapped the high e on my schecter c-8deluxe today. I've had it for 2 months so the strings were factory new.

Anways with a 28" scale length what strings could anyone recommend for drop f tuning?

Looking for help because with drop F only 1 string gets tuned down with the rest getting tuned higher.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jovima69

Reaction score
Stringjoy. They'll offer gauge suggestions if you email them from their site. I bought some custom 7 and 8 string sets a few weeks ago, and am very happy with them.

GunnarJames

Reaction score
Personally, I'd go for 9-12-16-24-32-44-59-90, but I know a lot of people generally like to go lighter (even for Drop E).

Something like 8-11-14-21-28-38-52-78 is probably more what most people tend to lean towards tension wise.

Depends on your playing style and sound you're going for.

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
^ This guy knows what's up. Try it out and let me know how it works out. I like that tuning but I'm not adventurous enough to go try it.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Stringjoy. They'll offer gauge suggestions if you email them from their site. I bought some custom 7 and 8 string sets a few weeks ago, and am very happy with them.

I second the Stringjoy nod. You can custom build any set youd like... And for a very reasonable price.

Got a 10-80 set for my RG8 and they are amazing!

Havent tried "drop f" tuning yet... But i wouldnt have any doubt the strings couldnt handle it.

Heres what came in my package from stringjoy...
0216161948a_zpsb6tnksdf.jpg

Reaction score
this is a good thread im new to the 8 string but have been playing 7s for a long time i'm more interested in what i can do treating the 8 like a seven with more high end. im interested in what kind of scales and arpeggios i can come up with in that configuration which is similar to what youre doing im thinking i want to try the grey ernie ball set with a high sting instead of the .074 low one. so tuning low to high GCFA#D#GCF and strung 64 54 42 30 17 13 10 8 basically id see the guitar as C standard with a low G and a high F getting a low tuned 7 sound with the range of a six in standard tuning?

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I second the Stringjoy nod. You can custom build any set youd like... And for a very reasonable price.

Got a 10-80 set for my RG8 and they are amazing!

Havent tried "drop f" tuning yet... But i wouldnt have any doubt the strings couldnt handle it.

That 10 tuned up to F on a 28" scale guitar like OP's would be at crazy tension.

Edit, about 22lbs, which isn't too crazy but I would find it uncomfortable - especially for a treble string.

RuslanK

Reaction score
Ernie ball Cobalt Super Slinky (.009 - .042) + .054 Cobalt + .068 Cobalt. I want to use this set myself... maybe Cobalt 7-String Regular Slinky (.010 - .056) + .068 Cobalt.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
That 10 tuned up to F on a 28" scale guitar like OP's would be at crazy tension.

Edit, about 22lbs, which isn't too crazy but I would find it uncomfortable - especially for a treble string.

Right now ive kept the standard tuning... F#BEADGBE...
Most of the material i try to play / my own writings do not use a higher tuned guitar... So i cannot accurately give a stance on that...

Ive been going down to EAEADGBE... A "Drop D" tuning for the 7 string leaving the 8th at a "normal tune"...

Trying to get used to the string attack by playing all the 7 string tunes i know...

But absolutely not a single complaint with the set i got.

Did however have to drill out the tuning machine to fit the .80... Easy process.

')