String Reviews

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I went down to the local GC last week and picked up a bunch of strings, and I guess I'll be trying them all out over the next few weeks, on my Fender Stratocaster. My normal set is D'addario .011s and .010s, depending on how I feel, for reference.

I started off with GHS Boomers Low Tuned Set.

e - .011
B - .015
G - .019
D - DY .033
A - DY .043
E - DY .053

I don't actually tune all that low (Eb, Drop Db occasionally), but whatever. These strings were pretty nice sounding, and had a pretty good feel. I much prefer the D'addario packaging to everything else I've seen (environmentally friendly, colored ball ends, nice and small), but it's not a very big detail.

Tone wise I'd say they were above average. They didn't really blow me away, but I was impressed at how good they sounded.

Lifetime - Lasted about 9 days before I felt they needed to be changed. After about the 8th day the noticeably lost brightness and all the things that make new strings better than old grimy ones.

Overall: 7/10. Above average sound, average lifetime. 5/10 is dead average, of course.

Dean Markley Blue Steel Med

e - .011
B - .013
G - .020w/.018p
D - .030
A - .042
E - .052

The first thing I noticed when I unpacked these strings was that they include two G strings -- one wound, one plain. Nice touch. Also entirely unnecessary. I'd actually prefer they just sold one set with a wound 3rd and one with a plain 3rd, but whatever.

Also, they're more expensive then other sets, but it's not too bad, I guess.

Tone? Strange. They don't sound half bad on a clean channel (actually, quite a bit above average), but when distorted, the lower strings have an odd kind of blurry, woofy characteristic. The treble strings are unusually biting as well (which I like).

For another set of .011s, the tension is quite a bit less than what I expected, even with the wound 3rd.

I would not recommend them, unless you play through a Fender Twin Reverb or Roland Jazz Chorus all the time, in which case they beat out the GHS Boomers in terms of tone by a significant margin.

Lasted about 2 weeks.

Final verdict? They do last longer, sound great clean, but I hate what they do to the bass strings. Sound odd. Thumbs up for clean, thumbs down for distortion.

Overall (clean): 8/10
Overall (distorted): 3/10

DR Tite-Fit EH-11

e - .011
B - .014
G - .018p
D - .028
A - .038
E - .050

First thing I noticed was that the gauges were bad. They don't increase in size fast enough to get a nice even tension. Overall they were a bit looser than I wanted.

Standard packaging and pricing, which I don't like. Individual paper packs are a waste.

Tone was pretty nice. The low strings had a nice metallic pop sound that I haven't really heard before (nothing to do with the tension, I checked) and really like, but it might not be for everyone. High strings sounded nice, if generic.

They lasted about the same amount of time as the GHS strings; average there. They lost their best feature (the aforementioned metallic pop sound) after only about 3 days though. If you're a gigging musician and change strings every show it's not a big deal.

Overall: 6/10 - Great metallic pop sound initially, brought down by weird tension and the fact that the "pop" leaves after a few days.

Ernie Ball Power Slinky, or as many of us know them, "the purple ones"

Super standard. Above average sound, nice tension I guess, somewhat strange given the slowly increasing gauge, but whatever. To be continued.

NOT EVEN SLINKIES:

Don't like 'em. Tension is crap.

Anyways, at this point I'll say the Malmsteen .008-.046 set is my favorite.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kanamvar32

Reaction score
nice. we need more string reviews. ive been trying out a new pack of strings on my strat every time i need a change just to find the one i like the best.

so far snake oil brand is winning.

kanamvar32

Reaction score
the price wasnt all that bad. i think it was $20 for 2 packs and shipping. its less than elixers and they last just as long. I think he does make 7 string sets, just need to ask him about it. I might order some for my carvin after the elixers on it die out (which will be a while haha).

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Great idea. :yesway: I stickied it, so, people want to, feel free to post their own reviews. I'll post some of mine tomorrow.

Nice job, Jongpil!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just threw a set of JustStrings.com house brand strings on my ESP SC607B. These are definitely not D'Addarios, because that's what were on the guitar already, and those sound 10x better than these. I have to say these are really mediocre, comparitively dull sounding, and they don't feel very nice either. I don't know what strings these really are, but I don't recommend them. They feel and sound pretty cheap.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I messed around with those for awhile, Nick, and they seem pretty hit-or-miss. (I had some good ones, I had some bad ones.)

Ivan

fsck!
Reaction score
Good idea!

I'll post reviews of GHS Zakk Wylde signature boomers and D'addario 10-59 as soon as the time permits.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been using the WebStrings electric and acoustic sets for about a year and a half.

Reviews:

"Memphis Electric" nickel-wound 6 and 7 string sets, 10-46 and 10-56:

I swear, D'Addario makes these for them. The windings and overall "feel" are virtually identical. Tonally, they're just like D'Addarios, as well - they don't have the greatest initial "brand new" bright tone, but they're very consisten for a long time. I haven't had much issue with breakage, either.

"Portland Acoustic" Phosphor Bronze:

Deep, sweet and dark, just like you'd suspect. Sound just like the D'Addario PB strings. Good life, too.

"San Diego Acoustic" 80/20 Bronze:

I haven't used the D'Addario version of this string, but these are very chimey and bright, and project like a mofo. I played a 3 hour gig on them two weeks ago and they still sound brand new.

Overall, I've been really impressed with everything I've tried from WebStrings, especially given the ridiculously low price. They ship fast and generally have what you want in stock. They messed up and sent me four sets of 11s once, and they sent out the correct 10s the day I emailed them, and had me keep the mistake!

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying GHS on mine - custom gauges built from JustStrings.com: 11-14-18-28-38-50-70 for the 7 (B or Bb), 14-18-24-36-52-70 for the 6 (C#) - and for some reason mine always seem to last well past that 9-day mark. I get about a month or a month and a half out of them, and since I beat the shit out of strings (I can pop a 50 in E) with my rhythm playing I'm impressed.

Before GHS I was using DRs and SITs. DRs were nice but their selection was too limited - while their heavier gauges worked well for me in standard or Eb, they just didn't make them heavy enough for me when I wanted to tune lower than that. If I ever wind up with a guitar set up just in standard for jazz stuff, I'll likely use DR Tite-Fits, but they do lose points for variety.

SIT strings seemed much less tense compared to similarly gauged strings of different brands. They showed the right width with the calipers, but something about them felt too loose, so while they'd be nice for blues and rock I just couldn't use them in metal.

Jeff

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've been using the WebStrings electric and acoustic sets for about a year and a half.

Reviews:

I swear, D'Addario makes these for them. The windings and overall "feel" are virtually identical. Tonally, they're just like D'Addarios, as well - they don't have the greatest initial "brand new" bright tone, but they're very consisten for a long time. I haven't had much issue with breakage, either.

Overall, I've been really impressed with everything I've tried from WebStrings, especially given the ridiculously low price. They ship fast and generally have what you want in stock. They messed up and sent me four sets of 11s once, and they sent out the correct 10s the day I emailed them, and had me keep the mistake!

Cool review Mike. I may try these next. I prefer Elixirs but they dont make the gauges I prefer so I'm going try these. Not happy with Juststrings.com brand. Perhaps TDW is right, could be hit or miss. This particular set sounds OKAY, but the low B .058 isn't snappy enough

petrucci_dude

teh shredz0r
Reaction score
I'll be trying out the Curt Mangan strings soon as my drummers shop stocks the crap out of them in there. Apparently they're awesome and I can get them cheap.

I'll let everyone know what I think of them when I get them!

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I get the bulk strings from Just Strings, because it allows me to build custom sets at an affordable price.

Just like the Web Strings, I'm pretty sure they're D'addarios. They certainly feel and sound the same. Plus, they ship them in big, loose coils, so the windings don't get compressed as much. If you don't mind having to store seven long/narrow plastic bags of twelve strings each, then you can't beat the price you pay for completely custom sets.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score

Reviews:

"Portland Acoustic" Phosphor Bronze:

Deep, sweet and dark, just like you'd suspect. Sound just like the D'Addario PB strings. Good life, too.

"San Diego Acoustic" 80/20 Bronze:

I haven't used the D'Addario version of this string, but these are very chimey and bright, and project like a mofo. I played a 3 hour gig on them two weeks ago and they still sound brand new.

+1 I've been using the Webstrings for over 2 years now with no complaints. I buy D'Addario single 60s for the low B on my 7, and you can't tell the difference between the 2 brands.

I do slightly miss the tone of the Alloy 52 Everlys I was using, but these last great at 1/2 the price.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
webstrings .com...heavy's....which from what I have been told are nothing more then Gore elixirs without the webing....and they last for quite a long time... "this info comes from the talk on the NAMM floor" not really an actual fact to be known.....where else can you go threw strings as fast, at as good of a price....

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just received 4 sets of 10-56 from webstrings. Installed them and wow - they really do remind me of D'addarios. They sound pretty good for the price and since they are in Southern Cali shipping is fast. However it seems they stopped the free shipping on $12+ orders or more.

:yesway:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, raising the minimum for free shipping sorta sucks, but that just means I'll order a year's worth at a time. :lol:

Robotechnology

Reaction score
I've had good results with EB Hybrid Slinky's 9-46 and combining it with a single .058 or .056 (usually I find a Dean Markley or something) from the local music store's singles box. Works good for me and my 7.

Another thing, once in a while, GC has a sale on some model of GHS strings which we've never heard of ('cause they're made specifically for GC), something like 10 packs for $20 bucks. I've taken a chance on these and put them on a couple of my guitars and they've worked out great. Just thought I'd pass that along. The last time around they were called Rock-Its with a blue label. Before that they were another name but, with a yellow label. If they have them during their 2 real sale days of the year, I advise you to buy them because they're $1/pack then!

Latest posts

')