String Reviews

Shooter

Drinkin' a Pizza
Reaction score
For those who have Acoustic 7's, has anyone tried the DR Zebra sets? They're pretty sweet, I got a few 10-56 sets off Juststrings and have loved them. They're wound half Nickle and half Bronze (hence the name), giving them a feel and tone right between most electric strings and acoustic strings- not to bright on the highs, not too muddy on the lows, although the two different metals wound together can make them a little less smooth to play on compared to your usual strings. I can't really attest to how long they last cuz I don't play my acoustic every single day like my electric, but I've only changed them once since I bought them (a few months ago). Unfortunately, considering how many brands actually make Acoustic seven sets, you don't have much choice besides this set or a custom.

And has anyone tried Dean Markley 7-string sets and got some nasty results? I've ordered some 10's and 11's and they all had weird rust spots right out of the box. I'm using D'addario 9-54 now, and love those:D !

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LadyKiller

Last Tough Guy
Reaction score
I've got a question!
I play in Drop A# like Deftones on the "Deftones" record ;)
But i miss the punch 'cause my lowest string is 060 gauge. What stringgauge should I use for Drop A or Drop A# Tunings?
I have a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 bariton.
Do you have any links?

Prada3353

Banned
Reaction score
this isn't much of a review, but i only use Ernie Ball Heavy Top Skinny Bottom strings, I just love the thick low E string, i used to use GHS boomers but i liked the EB's better :\ but thats just me

Bound

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
Contributor
Reaction score
My music store was out of my usual Dean Markley Blue Steel 13's. (for the 6) so I went with a couple of sets of D'addario XL Jazz Mediums. Man, these are some bright, bright strings. The durability seems to hold up pretty good. My only complaint with the set is the tensions on the low E and D strings are a little less than the rest of the set. But these sound absolutely mint! Plus, a wound G string gets 10 billion points in my book.

metalmonster

Reaction score
uh , what bass string brand do you recommend for my 7th ? (i want a .65 ) (i prefer bass string , sounds heavier , plays better and because of the "piano-like" sustain ... ) (want a really deep and clear sound )

Reaction score
I just ordered from Webstrings. I got 10 sets of 10-46 and 14 of 9-42. I ordered 24 .056" a while ago from MF so, now I'm pretty well stocked for the 7420 and the A-7 for awhile. I've pretty good things about these cheap strings so WTF...I just went for it.

Foundation

Reaction score
Im a huge fan of Rotosound and LaBella strings.Been usin roto's for quite some time now and they seem to last longer and stay brighter.Not to mention the great Harmonics I get from them..

Guess its just really what feels comfortable to you.

musicman2879

Reaction score
I personally have no problem with the Slinkys 10-56 set for the seven but I mostly use DR coated strings custom sets 10-13-17-32-45-56-65.. The DR's just seem to sound more articulate and clear.... Just my opinion

metalmonster

Reaction score
hey ? 10-56 ? what tuning ? ?

for the moment i'm in 11-49 + 70 elixir string . articulate powerful clear sound ... i really dig that tone and the tight bottom strings ... and huge bass response , and lots of resonnance when playing unplugged ... :D

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I'm at the point where I refuse to use anything but Elixirs.

They have an incredible snappy tone and sound "new" for a very long time. I have corrosive sweat, so Ernie Balls and D'Addarios turn "old" after a few days to a week... Elixirs take a month and a half to lose the brightness and only turn "old" after about 2-3 months.

metalmonster

Reaction score
i think i'll go for elixirs all the way , my sweat is highly corrosive ...

HeavyMetal4Ever

Reaction score
I have been using Elixirs for about 3 years now. The tone is just so clear and full, they feel slick amd smooth, and they stay bright and new for ages. They last about 3 times as long as any other string I tried, so they are great value for money too.

I just bought a new guitar (ESP MII), and the horrible crusty fencing wire they had strung it with had to go (no idea what brand they were). The Elixirs improved the tone out of sight, adding a fullness and thickness without any hint of mud, and made a great guitar play WAY better.

In the past i've tried Blue Steels, D'addarios, EBs, GHS Boomers, DRs, you name it, and hands down, Elixirs are my first and only choice every time.

Rock on! :hbang:

metalmonster

Reaction score
i think i'll go for elixirs . this .70 bass string is NEW when the other string begin to sound , you know , "old" ...

FlyingBanana

Reaction score
Installed some new strings last night. I got the newish Ernie Ball 3123 Coated Ti strings. To be honest. I think they suck.

Is it possible for strings to sound to new and to bright and cheerful?

I'll be going back to the D'Addario's....for now.

Reaction score
I just tried a set of Cleartones instead of Elixirs on my Parker.

Never. Again.

They suck. Damn you Guitar Center.

Reaction score
I dont understand why people like Elixirs. Yeah they are nice and smooth for a couple days, but when it starts hitting that week mark, the strings start shedding that wack coating and it starts looking like a snake is shedding its skin all over my fretboard.

I'll stick to D'Addarios thank you.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
I dont understand why people like Elixirs. Yeah they are nice and smooth for a couple days, but when it starts hitting that week mark, the strings start shedding that wack coating and it starts looking like a snake is shedding its skin all over my fretboard.

I'll stick to D'Addarios thank you.

i guess results will vary from person to person, but i've never found them to start "shedding" after a week... a few months for me is usually the case :shrug:. and it only happens on the picking area of the string, is hardly noticeable and doesn't affect the tone at all IMO.

it's not uncommon for me to have a set of Elixir Nanowebs last over six months for me. which is pretty incredible as i'm a very aggressive trem user.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
Why does everyone "bitch" about the dandruff the strings makes...who cares as long as they sound good..Elixirs sound the same when u put them on till you take them off. man guitars are to be played not worshiped..:realmad:

FlyingBanana

Reaction score
Why does everyone "bitch" about the dandruff the strings makes...who cares as long as they sound good..Elixirs sound the same when u put them on till you take them off. man guitars are to be played not worshiped..:realmad:

Dandruff on my guitar...ewwwww.

sonson_prest

In space Bret...
Reaction score
GHS Boomers Medium - 11, 15, 18, 26, 36, 50. Great strings, last longer than most and have that bright sound for ages. They're nice to play on too. They're the only strings I use now, after trying nearly everything.

Latest posts

')