String Reviews

Reaction score
I use Kerly "Sinister Strings" and I don't think I'll be using another string. At first I didn't like them, they had a sort of warm yet metallic edge to them I haven't heard in other strings, but the more I played the more I liked and now I'm hooked. For my Open C tuning I use the 7 string heavy set and just take off the high E, which leaves me with .014 .018 .028 .038 .048 .058. I like a thick high E string. And for my usual weird "D" tuning I use a 7 string medium and light to make a custom set, once again taking off the high E of the set which is, 013 .017 .026 .036 .046 .052. I HATE HATE HATE, new strings because they are always too bright to me, and Sinister Strings are really the only strings I've really liked right out of the pack, and they get better over time. I love deadened strings and unlike other strings which sound too new at first, then get nicer for a short period, then turn to shit, these last and just get better and better. I literally change my strings like once a year, maybe one more time if need be, and these stand up just the way I want them to. I'll have to contact them to see if I can order custom sets due to the fact that I like seriously tight string response. I like to fight the strings a bit to bend them and I like the way very tight strings feel and sound, HATE loose 4th, 5th, and 6th strings, so the normal sets at about the 5th and 4th string are too light to me and aren't thick enough in sound..but the custom set fixes that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scoop_89

Reaction score
GHS TNT is a wonderful set of strings imo. And that's when it's tuned in d/drop-c. Just the right thinness on the top and just the right thickness on the bottom. I've tried Zakk Wylde's both set's and for really low meshuggah you can get away with his lowtuned set but otherwise I really like the TNT set.

rattleh3ad

Reaction score
In 2008 Guitar World did a very long technical artical on strings that was very interesting. I believe it was August but I'm not sure. I love thrash and death metal and after reading it found myself curious about the Blue Steels or GHS sub Zero's and the Dave Mustaine sets.

Any way- Got my first seven string two days ago and when I go to restring I'm taking advantage of the free ones they do at guitar center every two weeks. GHS Boomers. They only get 6 string 9's and 10's for free so I'll have to buy the low b string. I want it to be rather tight/ less muddy.

Any gauge/brand suggestions? :scratch:

Bungle

Sir Roger Moore, KBE
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Dimebag signature DR 10-52 on my six string Sometimes I'll use the tite-fit 13-56. For the 7 string I'll use whatever I can get, the shop I go to usually has plenty of Ernie Ball 10-46+56 7 string sets, and they're pretty decent sounding and lasting.

Personally, I don't like buying D'Addario, but since they're widely available I often end up getting them just because that is all they have at the shop in my gauge. I don't think they sound bad, but they don't sound that good either in my opinion.

Not a fan of GHS either, they're cheap, but personally I think they sound like poo.

I might try ordering a whole bunch of DR 7 string sets as they are my favourite sounding strings I've used so far.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Bought myself a set of Ernie Ball Stainless Steels quite a while ago. Must of been about 3 months ago, 11 - 48's. They sound fantastic and last forever. I tuned them to E standard and left it like that untill today. They're brighter than other strings but they last forever and give a much punchier sound.

Just now, I've set my up Carvin with 11 - 54's tuned to E standard. The gauges are 11, 14 , 18, 30, 42, 54. Low 3 are from the Ernie Ball Peefy Slinky set and the top three are from the Ernie Ball Power Slinky set.

Sounds awesome :yesway:

I wonder how long till I go heavier for E standard

SW Davion

Reaction score
I personally run Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys on both my K7 and Schecter Damien 7

10 13 17 26 36 46 56 gauge

I tune the top six in standard E tuning and set the largest to low A.
Set the tuner to 438 for a more sinister tone

They are fairly bright right out of the box but settle down to a real mild tone after about an hour of playing.

I "break" them in by wrapping the wax paper bags that the strings come individually wrapped around the strungs and using the weight of the guitar as resistance. Then I simply stroke back and forth the length of the string until the string is hot to the touch. After I do that to all 7 strings I tune the guitar.
It stays in tune for the next three months until the strings finally go dead.

I play in a gigging metal band and change my strings once ever two-three months.:shred:

norrin radcliff

Reaction score
Doesn't GHS make strings for a lot of these other companies?

A guy from the old Gibson Shop in Kalamazoo told me that once...knowing how some of the other component companies work in other industries (with rebadging and whatnot) it didn't seem like a stretch.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I've been using Ernie Ball Super Slinkies for 5 years now, simply 'cause they are common for starters and I never thought to try anything else.
A month ago I decided to try D'addarios, due to their good reviews and the availabilty of a great amount of gauges for customization, even in the UK!

This was when I completely disassembled my guitar for full maintenance. I immediately loved the D'addarios more than Ernie Balls. I could notice a slight improvement in tone, and they stayed in tune very well, taking pretty much zero playing in. I've had them in for 4 weeks to the day and they still sound good, AND are still pretty smooth and clean, as opposed to my Ernie Balls. The highs on those looked like crap after literally a day, and after 2 weeks the set felt, looked, and sounded unacceptable for me.

However, I have one problem. Although the D'addarios still feel great and have kept their tone - they are losing intonation!
Is this normal? I never experienced it much with my Ernie Balls 'cause I changed them every 2 weeks, but it's a shame because it seems like I could use these D'ads for 2 months or so if it wasn't for this.
I just can't get them to intonate well. Especially the high E, of which the saddle cannot go further out to intonate without a longer travel. They were perfect for about 3 weeks.

Reaction score
I just used a set of Dean Markley strings. The strings were good sounding, but every time i grapped the guitar and started to play the strings were so shitty that i had to wipe them several times. Now i'm using Elixir's and they are sweeet.

Malacoda

Fogdiver
Reaction score
I personally love DR Tite-Fit or Hi-Beams. They last pretty long and sound quite good IMO. Only downside is the price, and since they're handmade, each pack is variable.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
You guys do realize you can pretty much count on 1 hand how many major string manufactures that are out there right?

I just bought a new guitar (ESP MII), and the horrible crusty fencing wire they had strung it with had to go (no idea what brand they were).

They come with SIT strings.

SjPedro

Reaction score
I would say Ernie Ball Slinky's love them.

I got them on all my guitars and I have to say I have never been happier.
Great sound,great durability, great feel

It's the full package!

Peteus

Reaction score
I tried a set of
Kerly Sinister 7 string versions 9-52

e - .009
b - .011
G - .016
D - .024
A - .032
E - .042
B - .052

I had them in std 7 string tuning. These strings were pretty nice sounding, and had a very good feeling. Due to strengthing treatment they seamed to be much tighter and naturally the extra tention felt good however its significantly stiffend up my trem :(

Tone wise - They sounded good on my passives very strong and tight and I started to really dig that however they weren't as physically nice on my fingers as elixers however they didn't cost anyway near the same amount. However when I switched to using actives (seymour blackouts) they felt good however they had a large amount of boominess which was kinda off putting. Upon experimentation I found that d'adarios gave a significanly crisper sound however they weren't bad string tonaly they just didn't suit actives.

Lifetime - This is the resounding issue with them due to the strengthing they kinda caused more issues i.e. they were very strong however they frequantly broke at the trem due to disslocation bulid up within the strings which cause a catastrophic failure via fatigue (I'm a materials engineer) which aint good when playing in mildly cold places the strings had to be warmed before the playing by resting my hand on the trem however this is too much effort just to use these strings.

Overall: 6/10. Above average sound, rubbish lifetime.

However they weren't for me however quite a few people I have spoke to have used them and loved them so give them ago if high tention strings with low gauges is your thing and you may do better than me

Goatfork

Reaction score
I've been using D'Addario XL157s, 14-68 on my 'baritone'. I just keep it in B standard.

I've also been checking out D'Addario Jazz Lights (12-52) with my RG, that's in Drop C.

So far I'm lovin' it!

RyanCarraher

Reaction score
I have been a big user in GHS a for 3 years. They sound decent and they are fairly priced. The only down side I found with them is there life span. When I play, whether it be practice in my room or playing a gig, i sweat a lot so therefore the lifespan of the strings diminishes. It got to the point when i was changing the strings every 2 days because there was all black, crusty shit on my strings. This was a inconvience to me so i decided to get coated strings. For the past year or 2 i have been using Elixer nanoweb 10s and they are great. The sound great, feel amazing and last for weeks.

Jo3yJJ123

Reaction score
For my acoustic, I use D'Addario EXP 13's
They're REALLYYY nice, very bright, but deep sounding. They keep their super bright tone for about 5 or 6 days or so, but their overall new string sound for a little over a month. I highly recommend them, they're beautiful.
For my electric, I use Ernie Ball Coated 11 gauges. Fresh out of the package, they don't have that super duper obnoxiously bright sound as many new electric strings have, which I despise greatly. They have the next step down from that, just your average after about-a-week-or-so brightness to them, which is my favorite. And that lasts for a good month and a half or 2. Then they just sound like average strings, but still they hold up really well. I've had a set on mine for... I donno. Let's go with 7+ months, and haven't had a problem besides the dirt and grime and such.

Latest posts

')