String Set for A tuning

• Thread starter Kakaka
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
Hi there fellas!
I'm using GHS Boomers 9(D) - 11(A) - 16(F) - 24(C) - 32(G) - 42(D) - 58(A) set tuned to A and I'm finding a bit too soft.
I like the strings to resist a bit more when struck.
I don't think I have a much light pick and I use the ever vulgar Jazz III pick.
Strings slip sometimes, bending horizontally, maybe because I have a somewhat "deep" picking technique. I don't simply 'scratch' the strings.

I know many guys here use heavier string sets and I'd like to have your suggestions on string sets for A tuning. I'm thinking of simply upgrading to
10 - 13 - 17 - 26 - 36 - 46 - 60.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
A 62 would probably do the trick for the A, I have a 60 tuned to A# and its good, but I find it too wobbly for A.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
What is the scale length of your guitar? (i.e. 647.7mm, 685.8mm?)

If it's a short scale, I'd suggest 10-52 plus a .064" or a .066", if it's a longer scale, maybe 9-46 plus a .059" or a .060" or a 10-46 plus a .060" or a .062"

:D

thadood

'Das brootal.
Reaction score
This is what I use:
68 54 42 30 18 14 10
from A to E (low/high)

Nice and tight for rhythm, enough bend for solos.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
62-64 i would imagine would be good for A. i'd go higher personally. 68 or so. But 62-64 should be fine.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
On a 25.5 scale guitar (dont know the metric measures but its the standard strat/ibanez scale length) I have a set of 11-52s with a 70 for A. I use 9-46s with a 60 for Standard (e-E+B) on my 26.5 (schecter) scale length, so I would imagine that 10-50s with a 64-66 for A would be fine.

Keep in mind that I like the top strings to bend a little and the bottom strings able to be pushed around the fretboard, but not "sloppily". I would say my preference would be in the "intermediate" section of tension preferences.

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
Thanks for the hand, dudes!

I use a a common short scale 24.5" I guess... my main seven's Halo BH-VII.
So I guess 60 or 62 on the top will do the trick. I wild bend a lot (2 tones), and use those Vai string stretching harmonics, so I think I'd better don't go extremely thicker like a Zakk Wylde set...
After all, I use a Floyd and setting that up for new strings will give me a big deal of working time...

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The Zakk Wylde set is just stupid thick, though...a .070" for an E? What would you use for a B, then? A .090?"

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Well its made for a detuning of C or B on a lespaul 24.75. I have a set on my little les paul copy and the wound strings feel good in B, but the higher ones feel like pudding.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
That's true. My sevens all have basically a ZW set with a 26 (28? can't recall...) in the middle when I get too lazy to go really off on the customization. His standard tuning is done with 10-60. I too have somewhat of a 'deep' picking technique (then again, I have no restraint whatsoever, and I tend to break lighter strings by pounding them too hard, so your mileage may vary) and I'd have to recommend going with a ZW heavy set with a wound 26 or 28 for A.

Jeff

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hi there fellas!
I'm using GHS Boomers 9(D) - 11(A) - 16(F) - 24(C) - 32(G) - 42(D) - 58(A) set tuned to A and I'm finding a bit too soft.
I like the strings to resist a bit more when struck.
I don't think I have a much light pick and I use the ever vulgar Jazz III pick.
Strings slip sometimes, bending horizontally, maybe because I have a somewhat "deep" picking technique. I don't simply 'scratch' the strings.

I know many guys here use heavier string sets and I'd like to have your suggestions on string sets for A tuning. I'm thinking of simply upgrading to
10 - 13 - 17 - 26 - 36 - 46 - 60.

I've got a 60 as the bottom string on my seven, tuned to Bb, and it works great for me. I sometimes tune it down to Ab, or even as low as F#, and get away with it, but I don't have a heavy pick attack, so that probably wouldn't work for everyone. If you're using a set of tens on top, then I'd go for at least a 62-64.

Regarding the ZW sets, I think they're intended for the drop tunings he uses (CGCFAD, BADGBE etc.) rather than dropping the whole guitar two or more steps. Personally, I've found a regular 10-52 set is just perfect for my Les Paul (which is frequently in some sort of dropped or open tuning), although again, it's probably due to my personal pick attack. I imagine the bass strings on the ZW sets would kill my left hand, even if I tuned the whole guitar down a tone or more; a 52 as an A string is just insane!

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
I like alot of string tension if I can get my action on the "low" side. I had a set of 11-54s in E on the lespaul, and it felt great, since the neck was setup perfectly. But on my schecter I have a set of 9-46s+60, and it feels great with the slightly higher then I normally go for action. With a neck shim and a new nut I could get it down a little bit more and have an mid-upper end ibanez killer on my hands, but its good enough for me at the moment. Maybe once I get out of debt though.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
7 Dying Tree's on here uses a 10-52 set with a 70 in your tuning and it seems perfect to me. I use 10-56 in B for comparison.

Dave

Reaction score
I use 10-56 with an 80 for my low A string... but i do have a heavy picking hand. And it's on a 27" scale length :D

')