MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
i use the normal 10-59 daddario set. Its perfect for me and im using a 27 scale its basically is like using 11-62 type of deal if im correct

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
I had a 25.5" with a .066 for G#. I think it worked perfectly. I wasn't much of a fan of the tone, though, but that's just me.

Reaction score
I made an error that has been fixed. I accidentally mention a .090 gauge string instead of .009. FIXED!!

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
Hey guys excuse me for asking so many questions , but here goes....

1) Is there any difference in tone, between a 25.5 and a 27 scale? I read the OP but it didn't address the tonal part of it that much.

2) What's the lowest tuning you can tune to on a 25.5 scale 7 string guitar, without any neck or intonation problems?

fragileh

Reaction score
I have a 8-string with a 25-1/2" - 27-3/4" fan and I'm trying to get even string tension. How does this look?
E4 .010p = 16,2
B3 .013p = 15,8
G3 .016p = 15,4
D3 .024nw = 17,0
A2 .030nw = 15,5
E2 .042nw = 16,7
B1 .054nw = 16,0
E1 .080nw = 15,6
Thoughts?

craigny

Winning...duh
Reaction score
Ok guys im looking to start tuning my newly aquired 7's to down 1/2 step to Bb when i go to restring them. Im a total string newb when it comes to this i 've been going with straight up 10's om my sixers so can someone please tel me in simplest terms exactly what strings i need to play these guitars in Bb...my Loomis is 26" scale and my Apex2 25.5"..also eventually when i get my Agile 8 stringer id like to do the same so i guess that would be tuned down 1/2 step from F# to F...that guitar is 28.625" scale i believe...HELP!!

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I've been making progressively tensioned string sets from bulk strings since the late 70's/early '80s. Every so often, I come into this thread (especially if I have full use of both hands and can easily write and use a calculator, which I can't at the moment) and help people out without using words like "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]somewhat mentally challenged, slow at comprehension or one of the ignorant Circle Jerks from a guitar forum[/FONT] ."

Most importantly - He doesn't understand why there is a drop in tension when one moves from the plain strings to the wound strings.

Okay... so I'm sorry I mentioned ZOG, clearly you HAVE heard of him. :rolleyes: For someone who prefers not to insult, that was a pretty fiery response to a not unreasonable question. :scratch:

All of that aside, I am interested in the bit about there being a drop in tension when moving from plain to wound strings. I'm not sure what you mean by this and would like to learn more about it. If you would care to explain this, I'd genuinely appreciate it. :cheers:

pitbulltodd

Reaction score
Ok guys im looking to start tuning my newly aquired 7's to down 1/2 step to Bb when i go to restring them. Im a total string newb when it comes to this i 've been going with straight up 10's om my sixers so can someone please tel me in simplest terms exactly what strings i need to play these guitars in Bb...my Loomis is 26" scale and my Apex2 25.5"..also eventually when i get my Agile 8 stringer id like to do the same so i guess that would be tuned down 1/2 step from F# to F...that guitar is 28.625" scale i believe...HELP!!

your loomis is a 26.5 scale. for my loomis i buy a 6 string set and a single string for the seventh. i haven't found a 7 string set that gives me enough tension on the low string. i put some links below for strings that would sound great on your loomis tuned to b flat. the first is for strings 1-6 and the second is for string 7.

Ernie Ball Electric Guitar - Nickel Wound Skinny Top Heavy Bottom, .010 - .052, 2215
Ernie Ball Nickel Wound .064, 1164

Tjerd1

Reaction score
I want to ask what string gauge is better for drop b tuning on my Godin Redline 1 -24.3/4" scale-.
Thanks in advance

OlisDead

Reaction score
I got a little (noob) question. I have a PRS (with trem) in .009 - .042 tuned in standard EADGBE. I'd like to tune it in drop C - CGCFAD ad change gauge for .010 - 0.052. How will I have to adjust the trussrod to prevent string buzz?

How do I calculate string tension to know how I will have to adjust the trussrod?

Thanks for you help!

skalla

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Obviously, I'm here to get some help choosing strings, but also some general questions.

I have a ibanez RG-2228, currently I have .10-.46, .60 & .74. I thought it would be easy to choose new strings (these feel a bit sloppy.) So I looked around and I found more and more results about optimizing tension and stuff, and I really don't understand that calculator lol. Um.. so It'd be great if someone could help me out..

First off, what effect does string thickness have on the sound? for example, what'd be the difference between a .74 string and .80, I still want to be able to play some djent stuff etc.

By the way, I'm tuning E-B-G-D-A-E-B-E (high to low).

Secondly, What strings should I choose, should I try to have an even tension, or progressive? I think I don't want to go thicker than .80 on the E, and I think the B string needs to be a bit thicker as well, it's quite sloppy.

I was thinking maybe 11-50 kit (like GHS or D'Addario or something), and for the B string a .70 and for the E string .80. The thing I'm worried about is the tension etc, Maybe .70 is too big for a low B at 27" scale?

AND when I was looking around at juststrings.com I had no clue what to do, every brand has like 500 series of strings which I know nothing about, which ones are good? (nanoweb, phosphor bronze, blablablabla etcetc.)

Thanks, hopefully I can get this sorted out.. ):

dctiffanyray

Reaction score
Hi guys I’m Tiffany Ray a new member for this site, I hope that I'm welcome in this Forum and to know more about this site.

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I just got my Carvin DC727 (stunning guitar!) and have tuned it to drop Ab (G#), so the strings are like this from highest to lowest:

Eb , Bb, Gb, Db, Ab, Eb, Ab

The scale is 25.5

I feel the low Ab to be too loose and was thinking of replacing it with something thicker to increase the tension. The problem is I have no idea what the gauge of my current string is, I'm assuming Carvins come standard with a 56 for the lowest string? They don't seem to specify.

Anyway, would it be better to replace the entire set or just the one? I'm fairly happy with the other strings, just the low Ab that's giving me grief (damn buzz).

Thanks!

P.S.

This is my current plan using the tension calculator:

len 25.5"

E4b .011" p == 17.48#
B3b .014" p == 15.89#
G3b .018" p == 16.55#
D3b .028" nw == 18.98#
A2b .038" nw == 19.23#
E2b .050" nw == 18.23#
A1b .072" nw == 17.09#
total == 123.44#

Anyone have any opinions?

I notice the lowest string is still less tense than the E, even with a proposed .072 , not really sure i want to go thicker though, .072 already seems crazy thick.

i have a dc727, and i use 09-42 + 60 for drop A, and the same when im down at drop-Ab. i would try setting up your guitar for something around 10-46+64 for drop-Ab. getting your guitar set up right (preferably by someone qualified if you dont know how to do it yourself) is Alpha Omega, and you'll find that you dont need Überheavy gauges!

Allen Hunter (dendroaspis on here) really changed my view on smaller gauges!:bowdown:

slammer

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm using a RG7321 with a Evo-7 on Bridge and as strings, i've recently replaced the old ones with a Dean Markley 10-60 set.

They are great on A drop and B open, also cool at A open and G drop, BUT, i think i dont like the 7th strings gauge at all, as it sound a little fizzy at 1st fret and its losing its sustain rather quick than other ones. Fine-tunings of the guitar is already done for the new strings, yet i'm having such a problem.

Could it be the Scale Length or "not-thichk-enough-7th string" or something else? What gauges are you guys using for G Drop and A Open ?

Agresif by Baranismen on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Here you can listen my newest demo..This "sustain" issue can be heard at the end. I've played the top 3 strings but the 7th decayed so fast that i've silenced the other two by finger..

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
So you say you're buzzing on the first fret and then they buzz to the point that notes higher than that don't ring out?

slammer

Reaction score
So you say you're buzzing on the first fret and then they buzz to the point that notes higher than that don't ring out?

well, on second thought, i've got issues with my 7th string, i.e in 12th fret; it doesnt sound "great", as it sound on 6th strings 5th fret; all frets on 7th string tend to decay faster then other strings, i mean, comparing the other strings/fret combinations, when i hit a note on 7th string at any fret, it doesnt sustain as much as others do.. Sorry for crap english :/

')