Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Is the 7th string a great deal looser than the others? You may need to just raise your action slightly on the 7th string or get a high gauge for the string so that it doesn't move around so much. I am having a similar problem on a 7 of mine and I think the issue might be that the string I'm using for the 7th string is simply too light a gauge when coupled with how hard I pick.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slammer

Reaction score
Is the 7th string a great deal looser than the others? You may need to just raise your action slightly on the 7th string or get a high gauge for the string so that it doesn't move around so much. I am having a similar problem on a 7 of mine and I think the issue might be that the string I'm using for the 7th string is simply too light a gauge when coupled with how hard I pick.

It's a 0.60, not that looser, but it irritates me anyway. As you can hear from my demo, it still sound good, but i think i want the best ^^ Then i'll try a 68-70 one.. How thick shall i go then?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Well too thick and you may start to have trouble getting it to fit through your tuning peg. I would try a .064. I think those should still fit through a tuning peg and they're plenty thick. Again, don't pull the trigger on new strings just yet at someone else migh have a better idea of what might be causing the problem. Try raising your action on that string to see if that makes any difference as well.

Nautilus

Lefty supremacist
Reaction score
as thick as you're comfy with. There's no right answer buddy- only your own opinion on what's too much buzz/to thin gauges.

I know it's a pain...but I'd seriously recommend buying a couple of gauges and trying them. If your 7th string is dying out, it may possibly be a Truss rod issue though. Are you getting the issue anywhere in particular?

See what a guitar tech thinks ;)

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
Could it be a problem with the nut? Since you replaced the strings with thicker ones then I think that's a possibility too. After all the rg7321 comes stock with what .54?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
@ Nautilus - I thought the same thing, but didn't ask bc he said it'd already been set up, but the rest of the post would suggest otherwise, huh? :lol:

slammer

Reaction score
I didnt play with the Nut for a long time, as i didnt need to :) its kinda pain in the ass in Turkey to find a single string, though, even as thick as 0.65 or something else is way more difficult. Only option is to find a Bass string (if i can ofc)..

"Are you getting the issue anywhere in particular?"

As long as i've experienced, no, sir, the first 6 strings are quite great on every fret and giving satifactory sustains/responses..7th, however, seems a little "muddy", "bulky" and "vibrates" much..

I think it has somethn to do with its Tension..

groph

Reaction score
I didnt play with the Nut for a long time, as i didnt need to :) its kinda pain in the ass in Turkey to find a single string, though, even as thick as 0.65 or something else is way more difficult. Only option is to find a Bass string (if i can ofc)..

"Are you getting the issue anywhere in particular?"

As long as i've experienced, no, sir, the first 6 strings are quite great on every fret and giving satifactory sustains/responses..7th, however, seems a little "muddy", "bulky" and "vibrates" much..

I think it has somethn to do with its Tension..

I think you're probably right about the tension. Sounds like your tension is too low, so you'll want a heavier string. One of the reasons I've abandoned super low tunings is because it's such a pain to get a guitar set up so it sounds good and plays well in a low tuning. The heaviest string I've ever used was a .068 on my old Ibanez RG7321 and I had that tuned to G standard. The tension was good on the low string but I had this strange overtone that sounded like a piano when the guitar was played acoustically. It didn't seem to sit well in the bridge either, the strings were just too damn big for me to enjoy playing. You'll want to take the guitar to a good tech for sure, it'll take the guesswork out of setting things up.

Scattered Messiah

Kassandrian Dreams
Reaction score
Speaking about tension and sustain, I got the feeling, that the more tension you have, the more sustain and somehow less attack you get. Plus, there is the factor with playability and sound.
I, for example, am now using a .80 gauge on a 27" Agile727 Pro for Drop G. But I prefer higher tension, as I feel I get bigger control on dynamics this way - and the sustain is sick, string buzz is zero.
If I was you, I'd start with a .70 gauge and work my way from there.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
I use a .68 for the low G on my 7321. Some people would obviously think this would be too light/not have enough tension, but i think its grand. Only thing you can do to figure it out yourself would be to try different gauges.

slammer

Reaction score
Luckily i could find a 0.70 Bass string on a local guitar shop, and right now i'm replacing it with the old one..I'll post after some playing ;)

luca9583

Reaction score
Luckily i could find a 0.70 Bass string on a local guitar shop, and right now i'm replacing it with the old one..I'll post after some playing ;)

See how the bass string sounds but i would suggest getting a guitar .070 or thicker, depending on the scale length. Bass strings can sound very muddy with little attack

Reaction score
I may be acquiring an RG7620 for Christmas and want to drop the tuning to Drop G. I want to put D'Addario Chrome Jazz 7-string flatwounds (.011-.065) on it. Would a .065 be tight enough for a low G? Has anyone done anything similar to their 7620's? Are there any modification that need to be done to the nut, etc.?

EDIT: I love the tension on my Prestige when it is tuned in E standard. It's a fixed bridge so, I believe there are .010's on it. If anyone knows what gauge can give me similar tension in drop G on a 7620, that'd be amazing!

Drazzirg

Reaction score
I need to tune my Ibanez Rg7321 to Drop C somehow? I was thinking with a Low G or A on the bottom and normal Drop C on top strings. I just don't know what gauges to use. My guitars scale length is 25.5". Any help ?

')