GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
I have the same problem if I go to drop A to mess around. A muddy JB pickup like mine makes it much worse. Get a tighter pickup, could be playing ( I don't know, never seen/ heard you), could be amp, but try a .66.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
Alright, so I've looked through everyone's suggestions here. I've filed my nut so that the string fits just fine, and I've raised the action as high as I comfortably can, but it still doesn't change anything. I tried raising the pickups to be closer to the low A and that also did nothing. It doesn't make sense, because I know plenty of people that have thicker gauge strings on a 25.5 scale. My options seem to be shimming the nut or just getting thinner strings, which I don't want to do. I like these flatwounds.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you try just switching to a fresh string first? You can occasionally just get a dead string... Anyways I would assume you did that first since you've filed the nut etc.

Is this issue happening all the way up the board when the A string is fretted or just with the open chord? If you've got the bridge raised a lot and it's happening when the string is fretted up around the 10th then shimming the nut will probably not help.

Also as has been stated it's definitely not just a gauge issue as I've got a 68 in drop A on my KxK Sii-7ex at 25.5" scale.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
Could it possibly be that you're using flatwounds? I use nickel wound strings (i.e. normal for electric guitars) and the bottom string has less harmonic content to it's sound... Flatwounds are duller, so maybe the combination of flatwound with a thick string is giving the dull sound? Maybe consider a nickelwound string?

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
Did you try just switching to a fresh string first? You can occasionally just get a dead string... Anyways I would assume you did that first since you've filed the nut etc.

Is this issue happening all the way up the board when the A string is fretted or just with the open chord? If you've got the bridge raised a lot and it's happening when the string is fretted up around the 10th then shimming the nut will probably not help.

Also as has been stated it's definitely not just a gauge issue as I've got a 68 in drop A on my KxK Sii-7ex at 25.5" scale.

I filed the nut, but I haven't tried a fresh string yet. Most local stores around me don't carry seven string packs. The issue is all the way up the fretboard, though. The string is not touching any frets it shouldn't be when it's vibrating either, it's farther away from the neck than my low E now at this point. I'm really sort of stumped; I suppose I'll just try a new string.

Tyler

Reaction score
I don't get how BoO manages it. What kind of strings are they even using to be able to go that low with a scale like that? Everywhere I have searched has just had laughter at the thought of trying it.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
.64 for the low G. :shrug:

I have a set of D'Addario 11's with a .62 for the low string, and I tune to A standard- sometimes drop G. It does just fine.

Darkstar124

Strongman
Reaction score
I did it for a long time, no lower than a .68 though. I go between .70 and .75 for that tuning, it works fine. Make it happen! Slam Jams!

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
There's plenty of bands who do it on 24.75 scale (ESP - Eclipses) and use 10-70's or 11-70's no problem.

Tyler

Reaction score
I've been looking for 11-64 but cant find on d'addario's site where to order a custom set

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
The high E is .11. ...I'd like to not change them.

Okay, so before I noted that your lowest string would have been of equal tension to your highest string only if you were using a .0095.

With the knowledge that your high E is actually .011 (around 21 lbs. of tension), you might want to consider that your low A only has around 17 lbs. of tension. It is officially the flubbiest, loosest string on your instrument.

To even just *equal* the highest string will require you going to .072 or .074, but I'm fairly certain that the tension will still be way out of line with the rest of the string set.

Unfortunately, since you're using D'Addario Chromes, you're using the largest available string with a guitar ball end. You'd have to pop and replace the ball on a bass Chrome string to get to the larger sizes. I do sympathize, as I have to do the same when tuning in full fifths on a six-string fretless....

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
Okay, so before I noted that your lowest string would have been of equal tension to your highest string only if you were using a .0095.

With the knowledge that your high E is actually .011 (around 21 lbs. of tension), you might want to consider that your low A only has around 17 lbs. of tension. It is officially the flubbiest, loosest string on your instrument.

To even just *equal* the highest string will require you going to .072 or .074, but I'm fairly certain that the tension will still be way out of line with the rest of the string set.

Unfortunately, since you're using D'Addario Chromes, you're using the largest available string with a guitar ball end. You'd have to pop and replace the ball on a bass Chrome string to get to the larger sizes. I do sympathize, as I have to do the same when tuning in full fifths on a six-string fretless....

Well damn. Thanks anyways. I got it to sound a bit better by tightening the hell out of my low A, so it'll do for now until I can get my hands on some better suited strings.

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
i dont know why people think that you need to have a .75 size string in order to go down that low.

my ec-1000 is 24.75 and i have a .58 and its perfectly fine in drop G.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
70 / 72 / 74 will be fine.

i dont know why people think that you need to have a .75 size string in order to go down that low.

To match the tension of the other strings. For example I use a 70 to match the tension of an 11-49 set in drop G# on a 7. Anything lower would be significantly looser than the strings above it. For example the awfully matched 7 string sets with 54's for the low B.

Darkstar124

Strongman
Reaction score
Yeah, and some folks play mighty hard from time to time. Some folks being me. And when you play that hard with strings that thin, they bow out and go way sharp if you aren't gentle. Thats why I've been at the .72 for a while.

')