This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
I'm afraid to try it out before hand, but would a .009 work for a a high G on a 25.5" scale? I want to try Drop C with the G as I think adding a low G would be a tad ridiculous with a .059. I'm using an Ernie Ball hybrid set (09-11-16-26-36-46) with a D'Addario .059(Came stock on my Dean and I haven't bought a new B).

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Your high G with a .009 will be the tightest string on your whole guitar, a few pounds higher than everything else.

And, in case you hadn't looked at string tensions, it might surprise you that your low C1 will have the lowest tension on your whole instrument by at least a few pounds. Generally that's the kind of thing which players don't enjoy in use.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Your high G with a .009 will be the tightest string on your whole guitar, a few pounds higher than everything else.

And, in case you hadn't looked at string tensions, it might surprise you that your low C1 will have the lowest tension on your whole instrument by at least a few pounds. Generally that's the kind of thing which players don't enjoy in use.

It would be tighter than it would be at B, which is a tad loose for my standards. You're saying it would work without catastrophic failure, though, right?

Hybrid138

Reaction score
Where can I get some strings that are long enough for a 27" scale, reverse headstock 7-string? I've used some that are barely long enough and that string is always unstable when it comes to tuning. All the other strings are great. I guess it's because it doesn't get wrapped well around the tuning post.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I buy single D'Addario and they are too short from my experience. The bare part of the string barely reaches.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Okay, small string gauge question.

I've tried a couple of calculators, and I get a ton of different results, so rather ask someone else than trusting shady programs.

I'm getting a new guitar soon, 26,5" scale, and I want to tune it to open B with an added F# in the bass. Tuning is F# B F# B F# B D, heavy to light, if anyone was in doubt.
I've tried to compose a string set: 10-13-17-32-44-56-70.
Because of my lacking calculators, I'm basing my guessings around 3 factors:
  • I play drop A on a 25,5" scale with a 10-56 set from ernie ball
  • Using the D'addario 10-59 as a reference chart
  • The string set composer on nakedstrings.com

Reasoning: 25,5" with 10 gives a fair E for me, so another inch and a semitone lower should give around same result. Another inch tension on 13 ain't that much again, and 17 applies the same rules from 10. Those 3 strings I'm fairly confident with is going to play nicely.

Now, jumping to 32 is a huge step from the standard 26 that is used for a D normally is tuned 3 semitones lower and 6 gauges higher. That's a huge step, but the only real solution I could think of, as 28 seems too thin, and 30 was unavailable.

44 is based around the fact that 46 is used for an E on a standard-scale, and this is 2 semitones higher, so a slightly thinner string should do the trick.

56 is the standard B-string (and the thickest available), and so was 70.

So could anyone help me out? :)

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
I use that same tuning, except on a 25.5" scale guitar. I've tried to get it as balanced as possible, so you might like this one, too...

I use .010, .013, .017, .028, .039, .059, .080.

Now for me, that's around 16ish lbs of tension for my F#. With your scale, you should get around 17, which is pretty close to your .046 for E on a 25.5 scale guitar.

If that made any sense. lol.

Here's a string calculator I used String Guage and Tension Calculator - Version 0.1.4 - 26 apr 1998

Also, try juststrings.com you can find all the gauges I listed there, as well as the ones you listed, too.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Real odd discovery!
I dived into that string calculator again (tried it before, didn't work), and typed some again.
I typed in the gauges you posted, and saw an odd tension-span, so I decided to mock around with it in 26,5".

My result:
11-13-17-26-36-56-74 is best suited!

Your suggested tension span: 13,90 - 19,56 pounds difference.
My calculated tension span: 15,12 - 17,60 pounds difference.

Now, why is this gauge list great?

Well, because there is minor difference to the Ernie Ball regular slinky set!
Only difference is the D-string in my set is .011, while their string is 10. They got an A at 46 (no need), and I need a 74-gauge for my last F#.

Now, why is this really dumb?

Because ol' Ernie simply doesn't make .011! :wallbash:
Can I with profit mix a pack of EB with a .011 from D'addario? I know it's an odd question, but tonal differences might come into account with the different string brands/types. Or should i just sop it up and keep the .010, regardless of it moving well 3 pounds of tension?

Piro

Reaction score
So I find myself here:

24.5" scale, I want to tune to Bb, is .013 thick enough, too thick?

Piro

Reaction score
Prepare for an explanation as detailed as all the facts you provided.

Maybe.

I've no idea what scale length you're used to, what strings you used for what pitches, nothing. I'm forced to guess.

I'm used to 10-46 DRs in standard on the same guitar (Gibson SG). I believe that is all the relevant information I can possibly give

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Thanks! Some ask for advice for a new guitar, different string length, whatever. You didn't give anything about prior conditions, and it can be hard to tell someone how to get somewhere if you don't know where they're starting.

Your .013 will be just a pound less than the tension you already have. I suspect the set will feel and be a bit lighter across the board, which will become apparent when you get to your new low Bb1. To even equal the tension of your thinnest string, you'll have to use a .062, but I suspect you'll have to go higher to make it feel good.

Good luck!

summit101

Reaction score
Would anyone like to comment on a suitable multi' scale length and string gauges to use for an 8 string build that can acquire a tuning such as this..

C
F
C
G#
D#
A#
F
A#

..please?

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
^What direction?
In either case, I reckon the lowest tuning you can acquire without soundling like a fart gone awry would be C#, 4 semitones below F#. But for that, I'd say you'll need something around 29"-27" fan. Do 26.5" if you are hardcore. :)

summit101

Reaction score
^What direction?
In either case, I reckon the lowest tuning you can acquire without soundling like a fart gone awry would be C#, 4 semitones below F#. But for that, I'd say you'll need something around 29"-27" fan. Do 26.5" if you are hardcore. :)

aha.. ya uh, this is basically Drop Bb 7 string tuning with an added high C. tuned in the opposite register your thinking of. pretty much in the mandolin register.

summit101

Reaction score
im trying to find out how to set this up without an inevitable string break on that High C. im assuming its possible some way some how, if i could find near precise numbers.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
im trying to find out how to set this up without an inevitable string break on that High C. im assuming its possible some way some how, if i could find near precise numbers.

A normal guitar string will break around G# at 25.5". With a normal steel string, if it's thin enough to get to G# without high tension, it's too weak, and if it's large enough to be stronger, it requires even more tension to get to G#, which drives it to the breaking point.

So, going for an equivalent scale length at which C5 won't break, you'd have to have a scale length for that string of 19". Sorry, but that's the math.

If you decide that you will be forever required to use Octave 4 Plus strings, say the ones which can achieve A4 at 25.5" and which are less twitchy than the B4 @ 25.5", you can have the scale length around 21.5", 2.5" longer than your worst case, but twitchy none the less.

(Gee, seeing that proposed tuning scheme, I'm so glad I finally settled on EADGCFAD for my various 8-strings. My next step will be either a 10-string tuned to BEADGCFADG, or a 9-string tuned BEADGCFAD. I think I can leverage that high G4 string in an interesting way, so I'll probably just go for it.)

')