summit101

Reaction score
(Gee, seeing that proposed tuning scheme, I'm so glad I finally settled on EADGCFAD for my various 8-strings. My next step will be either a 10-string tuned to BEADGCFADG, or a 9-string tuned BEADGCFAD. I think I can leverage that high G4 string in an interesting way, so I'll probably just go for it.)

to be quite honest (due to my lacking of experience in this field) i was very close to attempting this high C tuning on a 26.5" schecter c8 blackjack.. then realized just how impossible that was to achieve.

so after purchasing a non-refundable left handed 8 string, then coming to this realization, i had already tuned down to drop D# 7string tuning with an added high F (F,A#,F,C#,G#,D#,A#,D#) which in it self shares nearly all the same (open) notes as drop A# 7 string tuning (F,C,G#,D#,A#,F,A#), the tuning i previously had been practicing on and intended to add the high C to.

with the D# 8string tuning, you can still play some of the same bar chords as the C-A# tuning after the 7th fret. its practically the exact same approach to using chord shapes/voicing's. all this means is i have way more options to write material, given the fact i now have 2 different but similar set ups..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

summit101

Reaction score
maybe i could just find someone to play keys or some instrument that does access these higher notes.

or on the other hand.. what if i actually built a guitar with a 19" scale length on the treble side?.. then it would be almost too easy to play all 8 strings in a single chord. wouldn't it? conklin guitars would probably do it, i'm guessing.

also what are you actually referring to when you say "twitchy"? is it when a high string wont intonate properly and sounds like "a song bird with Tourette syndrome"?

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
By "twitchy," I meant "prone to break." A lot of people tune the O4+ strings to their highest pitch, and then start bending them. It takes time to get them to their highest pitch, and then people often break them because they decide to suddenly put enough tension on it to sharp it a half step or more in a millisecond.

Even if you tune to G4 at 25.5", or to its shorter-length equivalent (C5 at 19"), bending more than half a step puts you into breakage territory.

XIII

Reaction score
Anyone use or used Ernie Balls 8 String Slinkys?

.010, .013, .017, .030, .042, .042, .054, .064, .074.

For use on a 26.5" scale length 7 string. I'm tempted but not seen any other threads as yet recommending string makes.

\m/,

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
My situation is 8 string Agile, scale length 28.625. Tuning I want is -

high to low E B G D A E B D All down half a step. (Tosin Abasi down a half step)

I'm a rubber bands type of guy on the higher strings, I have no problem using 9 - 46 on my 6ers tuned down half a step but I like a bit of tension on the lower strings.

I've currently got the standard strings on the Agile.... 9 - 72s in regular tuning. If you can point me in the right direction for a string set that would be great. I can research brands/exact gauges from there. Cheers guys!

Also would it be possible to do something like this on a 27 Inch scale or even 26 Inch 8 string? (probably not I'm guessing) The shorter the scale I can get away with the better!

Justin7

Reaction score
Band I am in plays in drop C and this is the tuning i find to be most useful. I have an Ibanez S7420 and 10's are WAY to floppy. I am thinking 12's or 13's with something close to 70 for the low G string. What do you guys think?

Zonk Knuckle

Contributor
Reaction score
For 12's an 80 will go much better if you want balanced tension. I like bending, so I'd use 11-80, but for you I'd suggest 12-80.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I've always used a 0.11-0.52 set in my LP in D-standard or drop C. I tried a 0.12 set once, but couldn't really get along with the wounded G (well, F) string... it makes it a great deal harder to bend.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
I use 11 - 52 for Drop C and stick on a .68, or sometimes a .70, depends on whats available really, for the Low G. Now i find the 11's perfect for Drop C, always have, and the .68 or .70 is fine for the Low G. Then again Im not into super tight strings!

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I currently have an RG7321 (Indonesian) 25.5" with a BKP Aftermath in the bridge and a DiMarzio Air Norton 7 in the neck (don't use the neck much).

I currently have .013-.017-.026-.034-.046-.056-.066 (the thickest my tuners will currently accommodate) and I tried tuning to drop F#, but the lowest string was too floppy for my taste. I tuned back up to drop G and it feels better now, but perhaps not quite as tight as I'd like.

Ideally, I'd like to tune to drop F, so I'm looking into getting a baritone 7. Would a 27" scale length allow me to tune to drop F with the same string gauge and maintain decent tension?

groovemetal81

groovemetal
Reaction score
I have a question, I. Have been tuning between B standard and drop A, my seventh string is a 0.65, I noticed that the string will not stay in tune, any thoughts on getting a locking nut set up?

Zonk Knuckle

Contributor
Reaction score
If the 7th is the only string going out of tune, then it either isn't fully stretched or you have too much wrapped around the tuner. Locking tuners might help, since they reduce the amount of wrapped string around the tuner. A locking nut will be very difficult to install and it won't work properly without a bridge with fine tuners, since locking the nut usually immediately messes up the tuning.

groovemetal81

groovemetal
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip I never thought too much wrap would be an issue this is my first seven string and I am used to my floyd rose set-ups. I also had an explorer custom built for me and they put those planet waves locking tuners on it. They were amazing they even cut the extra string off but using a 0.65 gauge may be too heavy for those

dantel666

Reaction score
So currently I tune to Bb F Bb Eb Gb Bb Eb using 11-58 power slinky 7 set, I am looking to tune all strings a step and a half down but keep the same tension I have now in that tuning.
I am using a 25.5 inch scale 7 string.

Any help would be appreciated.

jkkkjkhk

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before, I searched quite a bit. I'm ordering a custom 7 string baritone soon and I'm trying to figure what strings to get it setup for. The guitar mine is based off of is Matt Heafy's prototype white ML, which was an upscaled 7 string baritone ML as well. So anyways he said in an interview he used 13-68 strings in B standard or somewhere around there (he couldn't quite remember). Currently I have 14-65 (I think 11-49 or 12-52, minus the high E, plus the low B) on a 25.5 scale 6 string in B standard (7 string B, not 6). The tightness makes the low B sound great but I still want the clarity and intonation of a baritone. But I'm wondering how insane 13-68 would be on a 27 or 28" scale guitar in standard. What would that be equivalent to, has anyone ever tried something near this, would you guys be nervous to put that kind of tension on your guitar?

Thanks in advance

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I'm getting a seven string Rico with the 26 3/16 scale, I've never had that length before. What gauge do you think would work if I like 10-46 e standard six string and I want this guy with b standard seven string?

')