JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I know no one takes my string advice anymore but I personally use 10-59's in drop G and it feels great to me. Lee from BOO uses 10-56's in G as well. I would try the same gauge for G# but I'm not sure how you'd feel about them. Most people think they're way too loose (even me before I played Lee's guitar).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Glint Symmetry

Reaction score
yup i think 10,62 will be enough maybe 60...

im gonna try the 62 with 10,13,17,26,36 and 46 but i got the feeling that 60 will du the job...

i gonna put the result here after i make the experiment with 62 in G#,if goes good will be my set...

believe me that 62 almost got a F just a little bit loose a little so 64 make the F perfect,how can some people use 64 for G? that is fucking tight :|

thanx for the feedback in my question...mutch happy with that :)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ It's all personal preference but matched tension seems to be something you don't need until you experience it.
I used to use standard 7 string sets with a 54 for drop A. It was fine until this forum educated me on tension and I tried thicker. I can't believe I used to play on such a floppy string.

A 62 in G# gives the same tension as a 46 in C. That's what is considered average for E - I don't think anyone would dream of dropping their normal 6 string to E without upping the gauge!

A 64 in G is not tight at all. Same case there. I admit it does sound pretty crazy the size different e.g a 36 next to a 49 next to a 70 but the tension is exactly the same on all three of those in drop tuning!

Not saying you SHOULD use thick strings but it's good to understand what's going on - and realise a 62 in G# IS floppy as hell - like a 46 in C. If you like it then play it!

Glint Symmetry

Reaction score
so i have try the 10,13,17,26,36,46 and 64 ,nice indeed,i think is perfect for me...got to play a little bit more,but its a good balance i may say,very good balance :)

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
I asked a while back what string gauge I should get for my 7 to tune to Drop A, so AEADGBE, and I never got an answer lol, can someone help me out? I really need super super tight strings. Like way tighter then most people playing Drop A would like haha.

Help plz?? Thanks!

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ Way tighter than most people or way tighter than most people here?;) For equal tension like people here like, a 70 would be good if you're using 49 or so for E.

L1ght

Truth Over Triumph
Reaction score
^ Way tighter than most people or way tighter than most people here?;) For equal tension like people here like, a 70 would be good if you're using 49 or so for E.

Thanks dude! What gauge for the 7th string should I go with if I wanted it a bit tighter? Like I usually use 11-54 for standard tuning..

Also, what string gauges should I go with for equal tension if I tuned to GCGCFAD? Looking to keep it super tight too.. I use .12-.56 on my 6 string with a 25.5" scale and the tension is perfect. What string gauge would match that tension for the low G string? I'm think .74.. or maybe even .80? .80 sound a little ridiculous, but I'm willing to give it a shot if anyone thinks it wise...

DanielC1996

Reaction score
So I have a schecter blackjack atx c-7 with a 26.5 scale and I use the EB power slinky 7 set and the low b and e feel to floppy I want to try a 70 on it but I'm not sure if it would fit through the hole does anyone know if it would ? Also what would you recommend I play in drop A

Reaction score
So I have a schecter blackjack atx c-7 with a 26.5 scale and I use the EB power slinky 7 set and the low b and e feel to floppy I want to try a 70 on it but I'm not sure if it would fit through the hole does anyone know if it would ? Also what would you recommend I play in drop A

try a 68-70 for the low A like a 54-56 for the low E, you might need to modify the tuner head since i doubt it will take the 70, but that only requires drilling out the hole a little bit or you could un wind the top portion of the string so it'll fir in the hole:yesway:

jazz_munkyy

Reaction score
hey all
so i have been playing around with the tension calculator and found .11s with and added .52 the D and .64 for the A to be my best option for A standard on my 7 string, i just wanted to know if you guys had any experience with these.

i play a 25.5 scale 7 string in A standard and sometimes tune the A to G

Moshkown

Reaction score
I've got a problem with putting my .80 string on my guitar. You see the top part is less thick so you can guide it through the tuning mechanism, but the thick .80 part is too long. I've got 'too much thick string' left. The thick part won't go through the tuning mechanism and there's a bit much sting to wind it around it. What should I do?

(It's an 8 string, and sorry if there are some mistakes in my English, I'm Dutch)

')