Glint Symmetry

Reaction score
nymslm @ hello ,with 26,5" scale,and for B standard i think 0.9 - 0.58 is fine...try the GHS set,maybe you like it...

perfect for me ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flashes

Reaction score
What would be good string gauges for a 7-string with a 25.5 inch scale in Drop G (for a kinda tight feel, not too tight but definitely not loose)? Would a EB Beefy Slinky set be good for the first 6 strings?
(I looked around and usually only people with 26.5 inch scales are looking to put it in Drop G so sorry if I missed something)

Edit- Turns out my guitar is 26.5 so i'm good now.

Spawnof97

Reaction score
I have a Ibanez RG 7321 and it has a 25.5 scale. I want to switch between Standard and A. What would be a good string gauge for it? I don't mind a tight feel by the way

Masch

Reaction score
I'd like to pose a question that's been haunting me for ages. I've been trying to find the right gauge for my Drop C tuning. I'm playing a PRS SC Trem and I always switch from Standard D to Drop C. I've used various strings throughout the years but nothing seems to stick. The last two sets I've been sweating over have been a set of Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys 11-54. At first I liked it a lot, then I realised it may have been too spaghetti-like for my playing and then I switched to Ernie Ball Not even Slinkys 12-56. It's OK for Drop C stuff but too tight for Standard D. The problem I have with this string gauge is that the strings are too thick (especially after a long day:idea:). I'm looking for something in between-tight enough for the guitar to not sound muddy yet thin enough for my tired fingers to bend. I've also tried the DR DDT strings (11-52 I think) but they were way too thin..Any ideas?

P.S Could it be the case that I need to change pick size?

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
i use a .70 for G# and i can do bends just fine but i would start with a .66 to see if you need more tension:yesway:

I ended up using .58 just because it was the thickest string that the shop had. Which was kinda lucky because I think it is just perfect. Apparently .70 would have been way too tight for my liking.

lurgar

Reaction score
i've posted this recently but what do you guys think of this setup for BEADGBE? 10-13-17-26-36-49-66 thats on a 25.5 scale. I tried the daddario 10-59 and it was not working for me. This seems to be a balanced setup.

Haven't tried that specific set, but the LaBella HRS-72s are in a
10 13 17 26w 36w 46w 64w
set. This has worked well for me and is right around what you're looking for. There's also the HRS-73 that has a
10 13 17 30w 42w 52w 64w
set. This one has slightly more tension but it works out pretty well for me.

Skitzoification

Reaction score
Alright, so I have a 27" scale 7 string, and play between B Standard, and Drop A.

I have no idea what the factory string guages are (I rarely play the guitar since I usually get turned of pretty fast from the tension and dorky plucky sound overpowering the notes from coming out), But I have a layman's term that will hopefully work.

I like to hit the strings moderately hard. okay, maybe a little harder than that.

when I let notes ring out, or even do staccato licks, the strings still "Vibrate" onto the fret and kind of stunt itself from sounding. have you ever hit the string to watch if it Phases up an down before settling? I want to ELIMINATE that by about 75%.

I want you to give me a string gauge for my 27 from your experience. If you know of a gauge that will pretty much hold its own against my abuse, THANK YOU! :D

Fenrir88

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and therefore I'd like to apologize for any mistake I might make.

My question is this: I'm about to ask my luthier to make me a 7 stringed and I'm battling against common sense within my mind trying to choose within a full floating Floyd Rose Original 7 stringed bridge or just any semi floating (just diving) bridge for 7 strings. I like the full floating experience but I haven't fully integrated flutters in my style yet. My teacher tells me that if I own a 7 string I'll be wanting to try several alternate tunings and it'll be a major pain if I use a full floating bridge. What I had in my mind for the very start was to drop to A the 7th string and keep the other 6 in standard tuning. Any thoughts? I really appreciate it, we won't start building it until september so still can change my mind many times until then. Thanks!!

rgaRyan

Ermahgerd!
Reaction score
I'm using 11-48 Ernie Ball Super Slinky's on my 6 string Ibby. I wanna upgrade to some new 12s, possibly D'Addario.

I have managed to tune down to drop B, but it definitely gets a bit floppy.
Would tuning down the low E down to A be too low? I wanna learn some of The Safety Fire, and they play in AADGBE.

quattro19tdi

Subcontrainfrasound
Reaction score
I'm using 11-48 Ernie Ball Super Slinky's on my 6 string Ibby. I wanna upgrade to some new 12s, possibly D'Addario.

I have managed to tune down to drop B, but it definitely gets a bit floppy.
Would tuning down the low E down to A be too low? I wanna learn some of The Safety Fire, and they play in AADGBE.
If you are going to tune it AADGBE I would use .009's with a .062 or .010's with a .068 for the low A :)

schecter77

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser FR and im not realy too familiar with tension and intonation and all that stuff so i was hoping you guys could shed a little light on my lack of knowledge on the subject lol... so i play in Drop G (GDGCEAD) and i play kinda like Djenty-ish style Progressive Metal(like Born of Osiris kind of style) and i Would just like to know everything i could do to get the best sound out of my guitar for my style, including what gauge strings and what to do with the settings on my guitar, etc..

rgaRyan

Ermahgerd!
Reaction score
If you are going to tune it AADGBE I would use .009's with a .062 or .010's with a .068 for the low A :)
Ok thanks, I'll stick to drop C for now until I get some thicker, newer strings.

Would just like to know everything i could do to get the best sound out of my guitar for my style, including what gauge strings and what to do with the settings on my guitar, etc..
I'll give you the most repeated answer ever: boost your mids, djent is about picking style (staccato, palm muting, technique), get a quality set of pickups (BKPs are what the kids seem to use nowadays), and use strings that are heavy enough to tune low and remain comfortable for you to play.

schecter77

Reaction score
Yeah BKPs are awesome but not really too, too itchy to get those yet.. Im just now starting to splash around in the "Djent" style, im a well rounded player and just looking to add another style to my list. so Mids you say? i thought djent was all about super High gain? and yeah i figured that about the strings, just thought there was a prefered gauge for that tuning and style.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I've been trying to find the right gauge for my Drop C tuning. ...I always switch from Standard D to Drop C.

P.S Could it be the case that I need to change pick size?

On the bottom string alone, you're talking about a tension change of around 8 pounds when going from D to C. You're not going to find a string which feels the same at both pitches.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
^ I had to check that because I have my guitars set up to change between drop tuning. 8lbs sounded insane - it's actually 4lb which is a lot more manageable.
I set my guitars up with a string in C# for example.
So I will make an even tension set and intonate the guitar for C#GCFAD, to go between D and C.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Sorry, you're right, I had just dealt with a PM where someone was going for 36 lbs. of tension on each string, and was still in that mindset.

Wait a second, Double E... why are you responding to my comment to Masch? :scratch:

rgaRyan

Ermahgerd!
Reaction score
so Mids you say? i thought djent was all about super High gain? and yeah i figured that about the strings, just thought there was a prefered gauge for that tuning and style.

Yeah, everyone always talks about boosting mids to achieve that djent tone. And they also say use the least amount of gain possible, but still enough to get that crunchy, scratchy "oomph" sound.

I only have a six string, lowest I usually play in is drop C, and I've found my 11-48's do pretty good, but I'm going to bump them up to probably 12-52s or so next time I change strings. It's all about how thick you prefer your strings, plus how floppy or taught you want them to be. Some players like loose strings for easier bending. I prefer heavier, tighter strings because of the type of music I play. It's all about preference.

Skitzoification

Reaction score
^:spock: <happened to see a spam ad. obviously on a different page/thread. :lol:

quick tension/action question.

I'm using these string gauges standard D in this order:

D: .010

A: .013

F: .017

C: .030

G: .042

D: .052

I have the trem set to stay level and stay in tune, but the neck relief is pretty ridiculous. I can fit a JazzIII pick an 1/2 between the string and the fret. what's going on here? :scratch:

')