Reaction score
dont get the bass strings all of those can be found in guitar sizes, i would recomend that you check out LaBella strings i put together a custom with them and they sound great and have a good tone to them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rayisametalkid

Reaction score
I currently use D addarrio EXL 115's. (11-49), but I want to know what feels like 11's in drop B. I had I think EXL 158's once, but are rare to find by me and since I refuse to buy online ( I detest credit cards, and I'm 16 so I can't use them). What else is good for that kind of stuff? I don't like EB ( Ernie Ball) too much cause they surface is rough. To get an "11's" feeling in Drop D/ Db what do you people recommend for that in drop B.

Different string companies are welcome. I mainly want to experiment for those reasons and a set lasts me 2 months at longest so if any last longer ( other then coated) please let me know. Sorry if any questions are "stupid" I'm a noob.

I used to use GHS TNT (.10-.52) for that or dunlop wylde's (.10-.60) tunning down to C# or dropped B on my 6 stings.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Yo guys, what gauge strings should I use for a 5 string in drop G#? Just looking for clarity in the lower register really.

JoeChugs

Reaction score
I've got 10-52 on my Drop D 24.75'' guitar, for my Drop C 25.5'' guitar should I go 11-56 or stick with 10-52? I want to make sure the tension is as close as possible to my Drop D guitar.

Try the 11-56 out, I'd been using those on a 25.5 Drop C (now trying out DR DDT 11-54). Nice and tight, should be a good match with your drop d guitar.

Winspear

Winspear//Noisemother
Reaction score
Yo guys, what gauge strings should I use for a 5 string in drop G#? Just looking for clarity in the lower register really.

Bass guitar? Ordinary 4 string set + a matched tension bass. That means 100, 80, 65, 45 or so. And as thick as you can get on the low end. D'addario do a 145.

I do not recommend that route. The 145 is still way too loose and sounds crappy anyway. I've had much better results with Circle K. I recommend their 5 string Drop Tune set with a 166 or 158 gauge. I use the 166. The 166 set in drop G# gives the tension of the high strings in a standard EADG 100 80 65 45 setup. The 158 set will feel more like the 100 which is a little looser.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Thanks, Tom! :)

Does the scale make that much of a difference on bass? Should I get the 158 set on a 35" scale instead of the 166?

Winspear

Winspear//Noisemother
Reaction score
My bass is 35" too
The difference between those gauges is quite a lot bigger than the difference between 34" anyway so my advice would be no different either way.

Do you have the bass already? What's it tuned to? When I play a bass in standard the A and D strings feel good but the E is too loose for my liking, which is why I use the 166 set. If you prefer the feel of the E, then you will probably prefer the 158 set.

Reaction score
Have a quick question: on an rga 8 in EBEADgbe would
.009 .013 .017 .025 .033 .045 .061 .090 be good, or too much?

AndruwX

The Irregular
Reaction score
Okay people, new here.
I bought a Schecter Sls C-7, excelent guitar.

The thing is, it came with Ernie Ball 010. strings, and I hate both Ernie Ball and 010. strings, I prefer using 009.

The things is, if you do a research, the guitar has a tune-o-matic bridge, also is neck thru body. I thought that changing the strings would be an easy process but a friend of mine told me that if I didn't do it correctly I could fuck up the guitar, hard. I sold a lot of things for this baby, and it's value is more than what I payed for it for me.

So, I NEED, HELP.
BLACKJACKSLSC-7STBB-ABODYTILTHIGHRES-09fff87ad232e82b9018a5304c6018f6.jpg

AndruwX

The Irregular
Reaction score
^ your friend doesnt know what hes talking about, just put the strings through the body and you're good to go.

Are you sure, it won't matter that the strings have different thickness?
People have told me that the guitar comes calibrated to use the 010 strings and that I can't change to 009 that easily.

Can you confirm it?
I know I'm being stubborn , but I cant afford fucking up my new guitar, and the only one I have currently.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Nah sounds like your friends just being a dick.. It might come intonated for 10s (Highly doubt that :lol:) but that can be easily fixed yourself.

AndruwX

The Irregular
Reaction score
your intonation might be off slightly bug not enough to really be noticeable. you'll be fine.

So you're saying this:

I change my strings, and at first the will not stay tuned all the time, but after some days the will be.

Correct?

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Intonation is regarding strings being in tune in different spots, ie if you're not intonated an open E might be tuned exactly to E, but at the twelfth fret slightly off. You can adjust this by adjusting the saddles on the bridge, google how to intonate a ToM. Easy stuff, takes about 5-10 minutes.

And it does Zero harm to your guitar.

AndruwX

The Irregular
Reaction score
Intonation is regarding strings being in tune in different spots, ie if you're not intonated an open E might be tuned exactly to E, but at the twelfth fret slightly off. You can adjust this by adjusting the saddles on the bridge, google how to intonate a ToM. Easy stuff, takes about 5-10 minutes.

And it does Zero harm to your guitar.

Now i know what are you talking about.
Yes, it is possible that in fret 12 and fret 24 could sound a little off tune.

I know about that process, I used to do it a lot for friend, but only in Floyds, for that reason I don't know a shit about ToMs

Thanks for the help, and just a last question.
To correctly tune the octaves all over the fretboard, aka intonating, I just have to slightly spin the two saddles until it's in tune right?

Thanks.

AndruwX

The Irregular
Reaction score
Would I be able to tune it 1 whole step down without too much buzzing?
I play in A..

')