avinu

Reaction score
Ok so I just got a new Agile Intrepid 7 string. I put those ernie ball power slinky's on it (58-11) and the fret buzz is everywhere. The scale length is 27 inches and I play in A standard. I don't know if the strings are the reason it's buzzing so bad but I figured if I can get the ideal string gauges for my setup I can work from there to find out what the issue is. I already messed around with the truss rod. I hope I didn't fuck my new guitar up :(

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Ok so I just got a new Agile Intrepid 7 string. I put those ernie ball power slinky's on it (58-11) and the fret buzz is everywhere. The scale length is 27 inches and I play in A standard. I don't know if the strings are the reason it's buzzing so bad but I figured if I can get the ideal string gauges for my setup I can work from there to find out what the issue is. I already messed around with the truss rod. I hope I didn't fuck my new guitar up :(

Thanks!

25.5" scale? 58 is very loose for A especially for somebody who likes 11's. Those sets have messed up low end, balance wise. You should rock a 64 A next to a 49 D string for example, thicker still if you prefer a thicker D. All of EB's sets are pretty terrible for this reason. Let me try and find a suitable set.

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
Hey Ethereal, just a quick one, what would you recommend for a low G on a 25.5" guitar? (Don't kill me plz) Say, a .079?

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Speaking as someone who actually likes relatively heavy tension, I'd consider a 76 for the sake of improving clarity somewhat. It'll still be reasonably tight at 17.7 lbs (assuming Circle K), but you'll get a slightly more clear sound out of it. Strings that heavy are liable to sound muddy at 25.5", especially downtuned.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yep, at that case I would sacrifice some tension for tone. CK 76 will sound a bit better than the 79, but I would try both. You'll get much better tone than you would with other bands going this thick, at least.

Xander

Reaction score
Hi guys,
first post ever on the forum!
after several years without playing, I recently again and I bought a 7 string (SGR C-7). 26.5 scale

honestly .. cheap price but I like the feeling
So for a 7-string intro ..... and I only play for fun

As I changed the pickups for SD blackout Ahb-1, I want to set the string appropriate for the proper tension.

tuning
A-E-A-D-G-B-e instead of std B-E-A-D-G-E-B

Any suggestion for strings gauge??? For now I still have the original strings.(gauge?????)

Big Thx!

avinu

Reaction score
Avinu, you might enjoy this set
I personally highly recommend this set from Circle K
Seven String Guitar Set - .011 to .067 - Medium top .067 .051 .037 .027 .019p .015p .011p
Found here Circle K Strings - 7 String Guitar Sets | Page 3 of 5

Wow thanks a lot dude :yesway:
The scale length on the guitar i was talking about is 27''
I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
And yeah I've seen that name popping up around here a lot. I went to their website and the amount of options they have is just overwhelming haha.
I found out the fret buzz was due to shitty fret work and the nut being too high etc. I've kind of just trusted that the set's from EB were good. Oh well :/
Anyways thanks! :D

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
No problem :) You'll get away with that set on 27" just fine but you might prefer
Seven String Guitar Set - .010 to .067 - Light top .067 .051 .037 .026 .018p .014p .010p

I would keep the low end the same, just depends how you want your tops :)

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Thinking tonaly, what would be the difference between a loose, thin string, and having a tight thick string. I know about playability, but what does it do to tone?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Thinking tonaly, what would be the difference between a loose, thin string, and having a tight thick string. I know about playability, but what does it do to tone?

Your playing technique can adjust it to some extent - but stability of pitch, and how fat it sounds, I find. Most evident on clean, it's really hard to get a nice clean tone with loose strings.

A thick string can start to sound bad though, depending on scale length. That's why baritone is good for tuning below B, because gauges above 65 which are required for tightness, start to sound muddy on a short scale.

avinu

Reaction score
No problem :) You'll get away with that set on 27" just fine but you might prefer
Seven String Guitar Set - .010 to .067 - Light top .067 .051 .037 .026 .018p .014p .010p

I would keep the low end the same, just depends how you want your tops :)

Thank you! :wavey:

Guitarguy77

Reaction score
What's the highest a .032 d string can reach on a 25 in acoustic. I know a .027 can reach A 220 safely. Can a .032 reach A?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Definitely not. That gauge does C 131 on the high C of a 6 string bass 35" at roughly 41lbs tension.
Taking it to A220 (above the open G of a guitar) on 25" would be over 60lbs of tension. It certainly wouldn't make it.

I am surprised to hear a 27 wound string can make it to A 220..that's 48lbs of tension. Are you sure? Afaik the breaking tension would be below 30lbs. If this was true then 7 string bassists would be using wound strings around 25 for their high F to match the rest of the bass - as it is, they have to settle for light tension using 17-19 plains.

Guitarguy77

Reaction score
Definitely not. That gauge does C 131 on the high C of a 6 string bass 35" at roughly 41lbs tension.
Taking it to A220 (above the open G of a guitar) on 25" would be over 60lbs of tension. It certainly wouldn't make it.

I am surprised to hear a 27 wound string can make it to A 220..that's 48lbs of tension. Are you sure? Afaik the breaking tension would be below 30lbs. If this was true then 7 string bassists would be using wound strings around 25 for their high F to match the rest of the bass - as it is, they have to settle for light tension using 17-19 plains.

Can the D string make it to G#? I only reached G.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Should be no problem given the results of my recent nylon test.
It's tuned to 440 usually? Blimey, that must be pretty loose!?

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, came here with questions about string gauge, scale length, and relative tone, and found some preliminary answers! Apparently I need to hang out in the Beginners forum more!! ;)

Ethereal, looks like you're the one to ask, so: have a 25.5" 7-string that I use Elixir 11-49+68 on, tuned to drop-G. Works well, I like the darker tone of the heavier strings at lower tension (though I'm willing to entertain a heavier low G if it's true Elixir bass strings are made the same as the guitar strings, or perhaps a switch to CircleK's), but now I also have an Agile 28" scale 8 string tuned standard (might go 1/2 step down, don't want to drop a full step down 'cause I'd like to keep the two guitars in different tunings). What I'm looking for is a gauge set that will have similar tension and tonal quality to my 7. Suggestions?

')